5 microphones stolen

Constantin

Brand name mics are really easy to sell, and in truth a lot of people aren't very curious about how the seller ended up with the mic, esp if it is a good deal.  I agree that it was someone who knew what they were looking for, not some random cel-phone thief.  My guess would be that they've probably done this before--maybe check their past auctions to see if they've sold other high-end mics.

I'd be way more pissed about this than you are, I admire your equanimity.

phil p

I'd be way more pissed about this than you are, I admire your equanimity.

Oh I'm pretty pissed. But this was already a few weeks ago, and by now I have come to the realization and subsequently acceptance that there is nothing more I can do. I was mad at the production company, because they were dragging their feet after the first mic was stolen. They kept saying I should check at home, maybe I had taken it home for some bizarre reason. They were also pretty phlegmatic in their actions with the Police, so I talked to them (prod and police) and things started rolling. But it's all out of my hands now and I just have to accept it - as annoying as it all is

The butler did it....

Or was it a clever ruse by Constantin to steal his own gear as he starts a rental company?

To bad they didn't have security cameras.

CrewC

Actually, when the fifth mic disappeared, I was worried that people might think I had taken them myself. But then they surfaced on Ebay and I posted about it in two public forums including serial numbers, so I think I'm out. And I wouldn't sell the mics if I wanted to rent them out, would I?

Too bad about those cameras indeed!

Very sorry for your loss, what a pain! To me from what you're saying It's got to be an inside job. As someone else said, mics are small, light, easy to conceal and don't need the accessories to be valuable. Probably didn't take the tx because they knew they're not so easily sold without the rx. I hope you get to the bottom of it. Years ago at the PBS studio I worked at, we had two Neuman TLM 170s stolen out of vo booths. Right off of the mic stands. We found them at a local music store in the used gear display. Turns out it was a production manager who had a gambling problem. When confronted he said he "found" them in one of the outer stairwells and he took them to the store to be appraised before returning them to their rightful place. Very lame alibi to be sure. He was never prosecuted although we had surveillance video from the store showing him at the store with the mics. He did get fired at least.

Good luck with your insurance claim!

Bernie

I wonder what would happen if you paid the seller a "visit" with some "friends" to pick up your mics (given it is not a fake address). Would they call the police? Would the police be more active then?

And maybe the insurance company might be more proactive than the police about this seller, as it's them who are going to pay for the stolen mics. But anway, I understand your point, it's out of your hands by now.

CS: " I wonder what would happen if you paid the seller a "visit" with some "friends" to pick up your mics (given it is not a fake address). Would they call the police? "

I think former USA football player O>J>Simpson has had some experience with this...

he can be reached in his Cell, in Nevada Prison.

• 1 month later...

To wrap this thread up, I am holding in my hands right now three brand new Schoeps mics, and Kortwich hopefully have their new SuperCMIT.

The production company was actually very nice about this, probably felt bad a bit. As I was working as an independent contractor on this, they could've just told me to buy the mics myself and then invoice them for it. That would have meant putting up the money first myself, always an annoyance. Instead they simply bought all the mics for me abd the assistant even delivered them to my current job. The Neumann is just a few days behind.

Never heard from the police again and by now I don't care anymore.

Thank you everyone for your compassion here, via pm and in person