sanken csr-2

seth

So better rear rejection then a CS3e, but what about side rejection and reach? That's were the cs3e is great. Is it comparable or is it a more conventional shotgun as far as side rejection and reach?

I had a CS3e and it was really useful when I needed to isolate as much as possible from a noisy set and also great outdoors for wide shot. Is a CSR2 going to be the same plus the added rear rejection ( already great onthe cs3e )?

Allright, I can't post the pics but I was looking at the polar pattern on sanken website and here is what I am understanding.

CS3e as a lot of rear rejection and a tight front pattern.

CS2 as a normal rear love for a shotgun and a tighter ( yes that's what I am seing ) front pattern then a CS3e

CSR2 combines the rea rejection of the CS3e and the tighter front pattern of the CS2 making it ( on paper ) the most rejecting mic of the 3.

Am I in crack or what? Look at the response at 4,8 and 16k?

Allright, I can't post the pics but I was looking at the polar pattern on sanken website and here is what I am understanding.

CS3e as a lot of rear rejection and a tight front pattern.

CS2 as a normal rear love for a shotgun and a tighter ( yes that's what I am seing ) front pattern then a CS3e

CSR2 combines the rea rejection of the CS3e and the tighter front pattern of the CS2 making it ( on paper ) the most rejecting mic of the 3.

Am I in crack or what? Look at the response at 4,8 and 16k?

That's what it seems like. Trying it for just minutes at the booth in a hall at NAB, it was hard for me to A/B compare to a CS3e (which was my curiosity) because of the environment.

On paper it looks like it has some specs close to a CS3e. That rear rejection was definitely better than the CS3e (which is a pretty good mic for that anyway). That was one thing I could instantly hear. This might be a great mic for terrible situations (doc/reality?), or mounted on a camera (not hearing camera/op noise) if something better than reference is wanted.

Basically my curiosity is how nice it sounds in a more controlled environment. If you often work in acoustically terrible situations, this is something to demo when it's at the dealer.

• 1 month later...

I bought one and returned it shortly after. Not that it is not a good microphone BUT it isn't what I tought it would be. When I looked at the spec, the polar patern lead me to think that it was as narrow pickup as a CS3e but with a better rear rejection. It does have better rear rejection but not a lot and it is not as narrow as a CS3e which gives it less reach then a CS3e. When it comes down to it, the only reason I wanted a Sanken shotgun was for situation where I needed a longer reach microphone. It turns out that the CS3e is still the most "laser like" microphone for those situations. I still prefer using a more traditional shotgun ( DPA4017b ) or hyper cardiod ( cmc641 ) in 95% of the time.

Now if they could only make a CS3e that would be short enough to fit in a Cinela Pianissimo, I could have a single suspension/Zeppelin for my shotguns and not have to carry one for each. Sanken I hope you are listening on this one.

• 9 months later...

Holy Thread Revival Batman!

Has anyone else bought one of these? I JUST bought a 2nd CS3e... and realized I totally spaced-out on my intention to try a csr2 before committing to a 2nd CS3e.

I just watched the "first look" video interview from NAB 2014... and I gotta' say... manufacturers should hire enthusiasts to be spokesman at these things. For anyone that knows about specs and real-world use... a "rep" can sometimes make you roll your eyes. The guy interviewing (fortunately) caught some of the obvious points.

To me this mic seems kind of pointless. When do you NOT want rear rejection (in a shotgun)... Here's my imaginary conversation about this mic:

Rep: "See... it's got a switch from good to bad sound... hear the difference?"

Me: "Um... why have a switch that enables bad sound? Just make the mic reject as much as possible and forget about it"

Rep: "Well... then you'd have a CS3e"

Me: "So... what's the point of this mic again?"

A CS3e has 3 capsules in it... 2 of them are to enhance rear and side rejection. Why put that function on a switch? If anyone here has bought one, and you're really enjoying the sound and rejection performance... please comment. As best I can tell... it's an inferior mic to the CS3e, at the same price. It seems like they replaced one of the capsules with a switch to turn off one of the 2 remaining capsules.

do you mean the b&h video?

there's a comment that says it's actually a 3 capsule design (no idea if that's true, but it seems to come from a sanken dealer):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/audio/hands-review/first-look-sanken-csr-2-shotgun-microphone

i have no experience at all with that mic (nor the CS3e), but from the interview it sounds like that they focused on the rear rejection more (while on the CS3e it's more side rejection)

as why to put on a switch:
most likely the cancelation method introduces somewhat unnatural sound, so in situations where you don't need the back reduction (controlled environment) you might want to switch it off. that way you get the best of two worlds, a harmonic sounding mic in low noise environments and one for catching usuable dialog in very difficult situation.

chris