Wisycom or lectrosonics

chrisyking

Can wisycom receive lectro?

If you set the Lectro in Sennheiser mode ; yes you can. 

eric: " receiver is a true dual diversity receiver "

the other is untrue ??

I don't like too the word  "true" before diversity because it means that the others systems are un true. No they are just different.

The Wisy MCR42 is audio diversity (abusively called true diversity), the Lectro is phase diversity (this another diversity type) . Both are good diversity system. The advantage of the radio diversity is that you can scan channel 2 while recording channel 1. With the SrB you cannot use one channel while scanning the other.

From Massimo Polo at Wisycom, "Remember that each time u reduce the squelch of 3dB is like having a transmitter twice powerful!".  I have this system and at 50mw have not yet found any drop off of signal at reasonable distances.  If you reduce the default squelch from 12dB to 9 dB it is effectively like a 100mw transmitter and with these settings I have never seen interference.  It is really quite amazing how well this wireless works.  The beta software on the receiver lets you monitor quite a few functions real time including RF level.  I am quite happy with the system although can only compare it to Sennheiser G3, to  which is not even close.  I am sure the professional Lectro systems are great also.

The Wisycom has 4 separate receivers for 2 channels, the Lectrosonics has two receivers for 2 channels .

About the bandwidth : here in Europe, the frequency regulations were changed in the last years in several countries, and a lot of users had to buy new systems or to make them modified  .

This was a very expensive operation, and unfortunately this could happen again in the next years .

With a Lectrosonics system, if this happens you have to send it back to the factory for a block change . Your system isn't available for a few weeks, and the block change is a very expensive operation .

With a Wisycom system, you just continue to work and don't have to spend  money . Just tune the system to the new channels .

Don't misunderstand me, I have no  personal interest with Wisycom . My systems are Lectrosonics SMDB and SRB, I am very happy with them .

The price difference between the two brands is generally important, the Wisycom are very expensive .

But if in the future you have to send you Lectros back for a block change, the Lectrosonics become much more expensive .

Of course for american users the situation is probably different than for european users : different costs, different frequency regulations ...

Anyone have any info on lectrosonics new range? Can't see anything on the site.

My Lectro SRa and SRb will easily receive a transmitter at 50mW across the length of a UK football stadium.  Although that's an empty stadium, I get the feeling that a full stadium would be much more problematic.

My Lectro SRa and SRb will easily receive a transmitter at 50mW across the length of a UK football stadium. Although that's an empty stadium, I get the feeling that a full stadium would be much more problematic.

Interesting. Neither of mine will, at least under normal circumstances. I'd say average max range at 50mw is about 30 metres, sometimes rather less. Hence me pondering the quality of CH38. I've seen other channels go much further.

I've done it loads of times, SMa in the presenter's front pocket behind one corner flag, me and camera on the opposite end of the pitch.  The SRb is slightly better than the SRa but they both get at least half strength signal.  Here's a typical example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os8QFt9H9Ro#t=233

I'd say average max range at 50mw is about 30 metres, sometimes rather less. 

Pardon me but, outside of buildings 30 metres is for me a poor range.  with a Wisy or a Lectro SrB 50mW transmitters. after choosing a good frequency I got really more than that !

I've done it loads of times, SMa in the presenter's front pocket behind one corner flag, me and camera on the opposite end of the pitch. The SRb is slightly better than the SRa but they both get at least half strength signal. Here's a typical example:

I *might* get better range in an empty stadium with RX up high, but never that range normally. And that's on a clear frequency and single TX. Nomad does throw out some garbage onto the RX but the displays shows that at around 614 which I always avoid. Average range on both of mine is not impressive.

I'm kind of puzzled now. My test scans with my Nomad on do suggest minor interference from the machine but nothing I would expect to shorten range so dramatically. I do hope it's not reducing my range in a way that the scan displays can't illustrate. I never get that kind of distance (especially on 50mw) even with just one TX in use.

Interesting. Neither of mine will, at least under normal circumstances. I'd say average max range at 50mw is about 30 metres, sometimes rather less. Hence me pondering the quality of CH38. I've seen other channels go much further.

James, this is why I went Wisycom in the end. I have a feeling that ch38 is still full of rubbish at the moment. The wideband might come in useful if up against it. Have you tried setting your squelch lower? 30m is not great.

James, this is why I went Wisycom in the end. I have a feeling that ch38 is still full of rubbish at the moment. The wideband might come in useful if up against it. Have you tried setting your squelch lower? 30m is not great.

Unless I've missed something the squelch for the SR range is controlled by the Smart Squelch system and is not user defined.

James,my recorder is a SD788. Receivers in the front pouch (portabrass bag). I always scan with the 788 power on. If I hear a drop : I put the receiver on a higher position, and if I have enough time I rescan the radio band.

Been a while, but I used 788's with the older SRa and has endless issues. I was of the mind that the 788 put out considerably more RF garbage than the Nomad, although as this is usually frequency specific it may be worse from the Nomad on 38. My scans indicate not, but I'm wondering if I really need a more detailed analysis to see what's going on.

Unless I've missed something the squelch for the SR range is controlled by the Smart Squelch system and is not user defined.

Oh O.K. On Wisys you can set the squelch manually. Seems unlikely the 788 would be effecting the radios, unless you have some dodgy cables effecting the earth of the RX going down the XLR's. Have you put an oscilloscope over the earth to see what's coming out of your 788?