Wisycom or lectrosonics

chrisyking

To be honest I was very much torn between Wisy and lectrosonics. The wisy were on sale so I went with them, but most of the pro soundguys I know are on lectrosonics so it was a real risk for me. I know a couple of people who bought wisy and are happy so I went with that. Hope I didn't make a mistake.

Oh bl&*dy great. One of my 100mW TX won't power up intermittently. Back to Wisycom with it. Not a good start at all. I don't know what it is but I always seem to buy the wrong thing....... maybe I should have gone Lectro..... let's see how good their customer care is....

PS If there are any Wisy users out there could you post up a nice detailed review somewhere on the forum. I think it would be useful for us to make decisions.

Chris

If it behaves like that right out of the box, then it's a dealer problem, they should swap it immediately without questions. No need to send to wisycom yourself.

Cruss: " if I buy any wireless system now, will it be a doorstop in 10 years? "

maybe

" How many years do I have for the investment to pay off and turn a proper profit?"

several, which should be more than enough.

" 10 year old wireless systems are still out working every day ."

yes, but most businesses turn their inventory a bit more frequently... you should discuss this with your tax professional

and besides who hires a sound mixer using 10 year old equipment ? :blink:

" What's the ROI on a system purchased today? "

as I said, a couple years ...you should ask your tax professional

CK: " Wisycom really need to lower their prices though. "

funny, that's what your clients are saying about you.

" so it was a real risk for me. "

how so..?

" maybe I should have gone Lectro..... "

time to let go of that cognitive dissonance...

" could you post up a nice detailed review somewhere "

you could...

" just why always to me? "

maybe you pissed off your deity..?  (or selected the wrong one >>?)

I hope this isn't a common fault though, which is going to develop in other units.

To me, this would at lest be a more satisfing explanation than some generic not reproducable DOA error. It would probably lead to either a product recall or free of charge repair service even after end of warranty terms.

yes, but most businesses turn their inventory a bit more frequently... you should discuss this with your tax professional

...and besides who hires a sound mixer using 10 year old equipment ?

I'm still working and I have lots of equipment that is 20 or more years old.

Vas: " So, productions hires sound mixers based in equipment? "

not the ones I work on...

and yes, I have some old gear that still really works well, going back to the 1970's;  I still routinely demonstrate Vega 66/77 systems on VHF, and have even put them to some real uses... no one questioned me about them, or reported issues with the sound I delivered.

but as a business, and as a gear geek, sure I buy new stuff.  I like the new toys, even if I keep and use the old ones, too.

Some of the gear I still own is relatively less functional now, and may get used less often due to its obsolescence due in part to the advantages of newer technologies ...

In buying professional tools I typically deal in the relatively short term of <5 years, after that, most stuff has well earned its place in my enterprise, and there are newer, better toys to acquire, and add to the arsenal, often even when I don't desperately need them.

I probably have pissed of quite a few deities...... I definitely have awful luck buying stuff.  My doctor reckons I'm paranoid. He didn't say it but I know he's thinking it........

Anyway I'm sure the TX is a one off. Seems to be a dry joint or something. The green light is flickering on and off when it does power up. I'll phone em tomorrow. 

and besides who hires a sound mixer using 10 year old equipment ? :blink:

The UCR411 was introduced in 2003. Build quality is so good with Lectro gear that 12 years later, there's a good chance those first units are still in service. And would anyone know or care how old a unit is if it still does the job?

But we're talking about what 4 years of potential use now? 5?

Why would anyone know what your gear is? There's a lot of Lectrosonics 200 series gear in daily use that's at least 10 years old. Unless somebody is really in your bag, they wouldn't know a 211/201 from a 411/401. On the transmitter side, there's lots of black rectangle things in use. People still call the SM series "those new ones".

The bigger concern *may* eventually be if older systems can't be re- blocked. It seems like valid freqs will be sold off before your wireless dies. :)

Johnpaul

I see lectro 195 series still in use...EVERY DAY....I worked in PBS world and we retired them 15 yrs ago! A terrific gentleman who works the NY City scene has his bag rigged with block 28 29 Lectros!! Are they illegal???? Can you scan them with no issues??? Just don't try at NFL or NHL venues ...otherwise ....black rectangle things!! Cmooon Maaaan

Cruss: " But we're talking about what 4 years of potential use now? 5? "

once again, note that there are tax implications, but gear like this should be considered as 4-5 years, and anything after that is bonus...

my remark about 10 year old gear (or how ever many years!) was meant to be a bit facetious, as there are a lot of folks here who suffer from "shiny new toys syndrome"...

JP: " Why would anyone know what your gear is? "

of course the clients typically neither know nor care what specific gear we have or use, as we tend to be hired for "results".

jwill gets it: " ....black rectangle things!! Cmooon Maaaan "

Cruss: " But we're talking about what 4 years of potential use now? 5? "

once again, note that there are tax implications, but gear like this should be considered as 4-5 years, and anything after that is bonus...

my remark about 10 year old gear (or how ever many years!) was meant to be a bit facetious, as there are a lot of folks here who suffer from "shiny new toys syndrome"...

That's fine and good but I wasn't talking about taxes.  

My question was about the state and future of wireless microphone technology.

If we've only got a band that's 4-6mhz, or several of them, at what point does it make sense to look outside of UHF?  I know it's the best propagation characteristics for our use but if we're crowded out to that degree, what's next?  

Are we already seeing it with the current wide band products or are there bigger changes coming?

Crus: " My question was about the state and future of wireless microphone technology.  "

it is cloudy...

there are few clear predictions.

wireless microphones are currently being used in VHF band and higher bands, though the equipment is not as widly available yet...

there are bigger fish than us swimming in this ocean, and they are also concerned, even "very concerned", and still the view remains: cloudy.

meantime we have gigs to do, and we have tools available....

practically nothing is completely future-proof just like your phone or PC, so upgrading is certainly in the future...

Edited by studiomprd

Over on the transmitter side, wider tuning is not as difficult except it precludes the use of circulators in the final. We have measured transmitters that claim to have low transmitter to transmitter intermod and have found they aren't very low at all, including various "digital" transmitters.

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

Well that comment put a huge smile on my face ;-)