Wisycom or lectrosonics

chrisyking

LarryF: " They emulate the 200 compander. "

I believe They emulate the 200 dual-compander.

and this just in: " When Clair Broadcast, a leading global service and live show audio provider, was asked to supply the wireless audio needs for the live broadcast of the Thanksgiving Day parade held annually in New York City, it chose the MFL RF Distribution system from WISYCOM, a leading Italian manufacturer of RF solutions, for its fiber transport capabilities. The parade marks the first large-scale, live use of the MFL RF Distribution system in the United States. "

http://dmnnewswire.digitalmedianet.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=3645732

Used my Wisys yesterday in an interview. Very very clean and noise free. Have to say the sound is really very nice. Very clear and full. Almost no noise floor whatsoever, and of course no dropouts. I like them and am glad I made my choice. 

PS. Raycom swapped my DOA TX without quibble. My only problem now is that I might want to buy more, and damn these things are expensive....

Another good thing about Wisycom is that they are doing fairly regular firmware updates, so hopefully they will be adding new features as they go along. They've just released a 70 quid infrared unit for programming presets and doing firmware updates which is fantastic, so maybe wisy RX will be able to receive further 3rd party radios in the future. Being able to receive sennheiser is fantastic for me as I can use cheap seny TX if I'm doing shoots where I'm worried about damaging the TX, or having them stolen.

Also the RX only consume 1.5W so I can power two dual receivers off one of my cheap ebay sony L type rip-off batteries for a good 6 hours solid.

• 1 month later...

I've done it loads of times, SMa in the presenter's front pocket behind one corner flag, me and camera on the opposite end of the pitch. The SRb is slightly better than the SRa but they both get at least half strength signal. Here's a typical example:

Update on my little problem - and by no means a fully convincing test - but having been using Remote Audio Miracle Whip antenna on my SR cut to the length specified by their included chart I bit the bullet and cut them shorter to the exact same length as the Lectro supplied right angle doofers (which weirdly don't seem to correspond to the trim charts at all in terms of frequency). Not altogether surprised to find that range has so far increased enormously. I am surprised to find that it's greater than on the original Lectro ones though which had also been spotty!

One day in the field isn't long enough to tell, but so far so good.

James, yes I bought a jointed whip from audioroot ebay, so that I could fold them down when not in use, and the frequency diagram showing what length to cut them to was much longer than the wisycom ones. I haven't cut them yet, but do you reckon I should ignore the diagram?

Apparently, there are several manufacturers that seem math challenged when it comes to computing antenna lengths. Charts don't always correspond to listed lengths, and pre-cut antennas sometimes don't correspond to either.

Apparently, there are several manufacturers that seem math challenged when it comes to computing antenna lengths. Charts don't always correspond to listed lengths, and pre-cut antennas sometimes don't correspond to either.

What we do for antenna lengths is place the antenna on the device, attach a microphone cable for its ground plane effects, and then make measurements with a ferrite loaded and isolated coax cable using a network analyzer. The antennas are trimmed for the best match to 50 Ohms with minimum reactance. Usually this is close to a 1/4 wavelength but will vary with frequency and the size of the device. The classic 1/4 wavelength vertical antenna is usually simplified with an infinite ground plane close to the base of the antenna. An SMv transmitter is not infinite by any means. Therefore, the antennas will not be exactly a 1/4 wavelength long but are usually within 15%. In real use, the transmitter case and the antenna are both close to a large bag of salt water, known as a human being. This tosses all the measurements out the window but it is still the best  guess. You will also note that our cutting chart defines the length of a reference line so you can double check if a copier has changed the dimensions.

In sum, the antenna length should be within 15% of a 1/4 wavelength. So a 500 MHz whip should be 5.9" long, not counting the connector. If it is off more than an inch (15%), it is probably wrong.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

What we do for antenna lengths is place the antenna on the device, attach a microphone cable for its ground plane effects, and then make measurements with a ferrite loaded and isolated coax cable using a network analyzer. The antennas are trimmed for the best match to 50 Ohms with minimum reactance. Usually this is close to a 1/4 wavelength but will vary with frequency and the size of the device. The classic 1/4 wavelength vertical antenna is usually simplified with an infinite ground plane close to the base of the antenna. An SMv transmitter is not infinite by any means. Therefore, the antennas will not be exactly a 1/4 wavelength long but are usually within 15%. In real use, the transmitter case and the antenna are both close to a large bag of salt water, known as a human being. This tosses all the measurements out the window but it is still the best  guess. You will also note that our cutting chart defines the length of a reference line so you can double check if a copier has changed the dimensions.

In sum, the antenna length should be within 15% of a 1/4 wavelength. So a 500 MHz whip should be 5.9" long, not counting the connector. If it is off more than an inch (15%), it is probably wrong.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

And, to clarify, Lectrosonics wasn't among the manufacturers to which I was referring.

It is with some consternation that I have compared various printed charts, the calculated wavelengths, and delivered lengths, sometimes noting little correlation between them. 

One manufacturer responded by stating how little it matters in the real world.  While there is some truth to this, I wish to optimize as much as possible -- and I'm sure I'm not alone -- otherwise, why supply specs at all, as every antenna could be cut to the same length.

And, to clarify, Lectrosonics wasn't among the manufacturers to which I was referring.

It is with some consternation that I have compared various printed charts, the calculated wavelengths, and delivered lengths, sometimes noting little correlation between them. 

One manufacturer responded by stating how little it matters in the real world.  While there is some truth to this, I wish to optimize as much as possible -- and I'm sure I'm not alone -- otherwise, why supply specs at all, as every antenna could be cut to the same length.

Hi John,

On transmitters near the body, that manufacturer is mostly correct. However, a transmitter or receiver in a bag should have an antenna close to the "proper" length. A receiver out in free space as on a camera, is even closer to an ideal situation and there is an ideal length. And as you say, why not do it right.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro 

I'm also in for Lectro or Wisy. Going to use thembesides my Audio ltd's. Testing Wisycomthis week. Very curious!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dennis, did you use them side by side in the meantime?

I like my Audio's a lot. Super sound, easy to handle and always much more range rx-tx distance) compared to other radio mics.

Once I had at least about 300-400 meters eyeline connection down a hill, miking a motorcycle!!

But now I have to buy some more radio mics. Feeling a bit unsure at the moment whether to go the complete 2040 route or perhaps even 2040 minitx + wisy rx!? I really like the minitx a lot, the actors love it also. Then I could still buy some wisy tx's in order to benefit from the broadband

"Once one talent went 40 miles away. Still got the sound..."

Right.With a Narga strapped to his back...40 miles in 20 minutes of tape ..hmmm.Don't think so. (Rado said 'Once'..OK NOT a long time ago?)..Anyway I guess this sound was not used in the final product since there where no cameras around..Any recorder attached to an actor can have more than 40 mile recording..:-)

Dennis, did you use them side by side in the meantime?

I like my Audio's a lot. Super sound, easy to handle and always much more range rx-tx distance) compared to other radio mics.

Once I had at least about 300-400 meters eyeline connection down a hill, miking a motorcycle!!

But now I have to buy some more radio mics. Feeling a bit unsure at the moment whether to go the complete 2040 route or perhaps even 2040 minitx + wisy rx!? I really like the minitx a lot, the actors love it also. Then I could still buy some wisy tx's in order to benefit from the broadband

Hey Julian, I bought a Wisycom dual receiver set with two transmitters. I really liked the sound and that the receiver is compatible with my other audio ltd transmitters. Also the huge bandwith is great for unexpected situations.

I didn't test the lectrosonics after Wisycoms ;-)

Just thought I'd chime in again. I've now done a few corporates, a 'grey' carpet (guess which film) and a number of other bits using my new Wisycoms and have to say the mics have been fantastic. Not a single radio hit. I used them across the olympic stadium - the range is superb. Very very happy with my purchase. 

• 2 weeks later...