Zax Wireless Lessons In The Field

cory

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Really? The new forum is so much better than the last one. Honestly best thing to do is Skype and speak to someone, if you can speak to howy it solves so many problems.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

But speaking with howy will slow down development of new functions and features. Leave him alone don't bother him! ;)

It's not that I'm against zaxcom using their email list, and you guys are probably right, it wouldn't have any impact on the speed of software development. I just personally am fine with getting new software on the forum, and checking in every week or so isn't a burden to me. The email would simply be telling me to go to the forum to get the new software, so I don't see it as that big of a deal. Obviously many feel stronger about it than I do, so let the emails fly.

Update from our lovely dealer:

Fix for Maxx seems to be working nicely-- built in TX seems to be TXing as it should. Heads up, to my understanding this fix is going to be necessary for all Maxx units that receive power over 14Vs (i.e ALL OF THEM). 

Out of curiosity-- in this sort of situation is this something that Manufacturer covers the cost of, Dealer covers the cost of, or User covers the cost of? We have 2 Maxx's and the other needs the fix as well-- and I suspect there are many units that need the fix...

C

Cory, was this an intermittent problem or did it happen all the time under the given conditions? I've operated under those exact conditions and never had a problem. I'm interested to know why. Now Its hard to trust the system, even though it's been fine.Your post makes it seem like a hard ware fix and a trip to the mothership, major pain for me living in the most isolated Capitol city in the world!

Fair and democratic for me: Manufacturer for update, shipping cost to end user if it's outside of warranty. For shipping cost and inside warranty then manufacturer.

Since it's not a fault from end user.

If it really is a "built-in" hardware fault, then the manufacturer should pay for it (shopping and everything), also when it's out of warranty. Car makers sometimes have recalls years after the car was made, when rgey find out about it. You can then go to any licenced repairer who will fix it. These things do happen, it's not a big issue, and not neccessarily a quality control issue. But when it does happen, the manufacturer should rise to the challenge and take care of it, including temp replacement units

The issue is limited to a small percentage of transmitters. It is a fairly simple fix that involves a single resistor change.

So safe to assume that if the problem hasn't presented itself yet then I'm probably in the clear? Are there serial numbers or identifying features on the tx to distinguish the effected units?

"Fix for Maxx seems to be working nicely-- built in TX seems to be TXing as it should. Heads up, to my understanding this fix is going to be necessary for all Maxx units that receive power over 14Vs (i.e ALL OF THEM). "

This only effects MAXX with internal transmitter option. 

Glenn

So safe to assume that if the problem hasn't presented itself yet then I'm probably in the clear? Are there serial numbers or identifying features on the tx to distinguish the effected units?

If you haven't noticed a problem you are most likely fine. This only afects a few maxx's that have an internal tx. The issue is if you are feeding your maxx external power and that power is around 16 volts you can experience decreased range from the built in tx. When the voltage drops a bit the transmiter will then be fine and you will have normal operating range. If you are having this issue it is a quick and easy fix.

Struggling to understand the difference between working units and affected ones. My maxx has the tx and I always power it with external dc with voltages ranging from 16 - 13.

If the cause is an incorrect resistor value then surely all of the tx with that resistor are susceptible. Was there a point in production where something in the design changed causing/fixing the problem? Jack..

Why are yours and mine different?

While the issue is fixed by changing a resistor value the unaffected units are operating fine with that same resistor. I am personally not sure technically why some units are affected and others aren't. And i beleive since this is such a newly discovered issue - zaxcom is still analyzing the cause.

Since such a small percentage of units are affected, and those that are affected only show problems when running the maxx with a high external DC source connected, is why this has just been discovered.

All maxx transmiter can be affected - but not all will be affected.

If you have a MAXX with an internal transmitter and are having this problem when the input voltage is over 14 Volts call us at Zaxcom and we will get it taken care of for you. We will be happy to take care of any effected units one on one with our customers.

Glenn

Glenn: " If you have a MAXX with an internal transmitter and are having this problem when the input voltage is over 14 Volts call us at Zaxcom and we will get it taken care of for you. We will be happy to take care of any effected units one on one with our customers.

Glenn "

field: " Bravo! Bam problem solved! "

see, and I thought that was obvious!

I can't understand why thope didn't just contact Zaxcom (24/7) and find that out...

Thanks Glenn! Is there any way to tell if a unit is going to work with a RX installation by serial number etc, or is it all guess and check? Also, will dealers be able to make the fix?

Dealers:
Have people other than the ones on this forum been made aware of this issue? Do you have a solution for reliability issues like this? I really love Zax innovation and capability-- but am growing extremely weary of QC issues on various units. Is it unfair to ask Dealers to double check Zax (or other) gear  upgrades like the TX or AES board before allowing users to take them home? Especially since an issue has been identified, and it seems like there is no way to know which units it affects... 

Worst business for a dealer? Opening gear before selling.

As end user POV I will not buy any product on earth if this opened from a dealer without my permission.

I would like the test and "things work properly" process, before the unit leave the manufacturer.

cory: " Have people other than the ones on this forum been made aware of this issue? "  >:(

I would suspect that if other folks, like users not on the forum, are having an issue, they would contact their dealer or Zaxcom.  and, of course, if they are not having the issue they are living blissfully unaware, which is fine...