Zax Wireless Lessons In The Field

cory

cory: " Have people other than the ones on this forum been made aware of this issue? "  >:(

I would suspect that if other folks, like users not on the forum, are having an issue, they would contact their dealer or Zaxcom.  and, of course, if they are not having the issue they are living blissfully unaware, which is fine...

Senator-- when I buy a product I expect it to work. If I buy an upgrade (like internal TX for Maxx) I expect it to work. If the dealers are unaware there is a potential issue, they have a liability on their hands. Since Maxx has the option of not coming with TX, there are users who could have a problem with their unit but not find out until TX is installed. If dealer is unaware and sends user on their merry way and user gets f'd in the field (like we did) then it's not fine. We contacted both Manufacturer and Dealer when problem first occurred, but only got results after posting on this forum.

--

A little communication re: potential pitfalls and how to easily avoid them would go a long way towards protecting users from things like, say, having their equipment not work properly in the field and potentially losing a client or botching a job.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Glenn! Is there any way to tell if a unit is going to work with a RX installation by serial number etc, or is it all guess and check? Also, will dealers be able to make the fix?

Dealers:

Have people other than the ones on this forum been made aware of this issue?

When you say "people" which people are you referring to?

Also, to my knowledge, "people" on this forum have not been made aware of this issue. Just the ones that happen to have stumbled across this particular thread. In order for people to be made aware, an effort needs to be made to directly contact those that the issue may effect. I'll say no more.

If you haven't noticed a problem you are most likely fine. This only afects a few maxx's that have an internal tx. The issue is if you are feeding your maxx external power and that power is around 16 volts you can experience decreased range from the built in tx. When the voltage drops a bit the transmiter will then be fine and you will have normal operating range. If you are having this issue it is a quick and easy fix.

Jack,

Is there a fix for the limited frequency range in Maxx TX?

cory: " but only got results after posting on this forum. "

is your logic then that this forum is the proper place for customer support..?  or the only way to solve issues ??

jwsoundgroup.net did not solve your issue, Zaxcom solved it, working with your dealer with your dealer.

" took TX back to the dealer and they are going to do some more investigating as to what is going on re:built in TX for Maxx. Big big big thank you to those guys "

sounds like you had an issue, you went to the dealer, the dealer consulted with the factory, and solved your issue...

sounds fine to me,  but now, even after being so concerned and " out of respect for Manufacturer and Dealer I'm deferring posting said info for the moment ", you are stirring up the pot...

" they (dealers) have a liability on their hands. "

huhj?

as for your noble concerns for those poor deprived people not here on the this forum, well, I guess they are on their own... why don't we let Zaxcom run their business, and decide how to deal with this from here..?

Edited by studiomprd

cory: " but only got results after posting on this forum. "

is your logic then that this forum is the proper place for customer support..?  or the only way to solve issues ??

It seems that this forum is the proper place for customer support, as this issue has not been discussed anywhere else. At the very least I would expect a a sticky in the maxx section of the zaxcom forum immediately upon discovery of the problem. Here is the only place you'll find information and its also the only place where zaxcom has addressed the problem. So apparently zaxcom also feels that this is the proper place for customer support. Good customer service would also see a zaxcom directly contacting EVERY registered maxx owner. After all why bother registering your purchase at all. I understand that problems like these can occur despite a manufacturers due diligence in the testing phase, but i would have liked a little more information. In fast paced reality shooting, its conceivable that a mixer could throw their links on the camera and shoot all day with out realising there is a problem until they get a nasty call from post.

When you say "people" which people are you referring to?

Also, to my knowledge, "people" on this forum have not been made aware of this issue. Just the ones that happen to have stumbled across this particular thread. In order for people to be made aware, an effort needs to be made to directly contact those that the issue may effect. I'll say no more.

Yes, particularly with this problem it is extremely easy for it to slip by almost unnoticed. On my particular Maxx, it worked perfectly fine upon testing. I first fired it up with internal batteries which allowed the TX to work just fine. Then once I rigged it fully into my bag, I used a slightly used Np-1 (must have been charged around 15 volts or so) and it worked again just fine. Testing my gear at ALL voltages is something I have never even considered doing. I assumed (as I think so would have anyone else) that everything was working as it should. I'm glad I found this out before I took it out for a gig instead of in the middle of a work day when switched to a fully charged battery.

As others have said, the registered email system should start being used as planned immediately.