How to Up-Sell the Producer

Michael Miramontes

Thanks Michael,

That's a bit more detailed.

But..

I'm not so sure the W.I.I.F.M approach given would prevent client from circling back to the PA option. I think a better approach...if resistance is encountered..might be to ask how much they are putting into the production, importance/goal of project, then pointing out missing a critical position or staffing it with the wrong person could jeopardize the production.

$.02

C'mon guys chill out! Most of us come here to read and discuss matters of interest to sound professionals. When one person attacks another over a difference of opinion the conversation grinds to a halt and all that is left is insults. I believe everyone on this forum owes it to the rest of the people here to keep the conversation civil and professional. It shouldn't be someones personal plaything that is used to debase the opinions of others, and offer useless criticisms. It's unfair to all of us and disrespectful to our host and is a real drag to see happening on this forum.

-Alistair

Thanks Michael,

That's a bit more detailed.

But..

I'm not so sure the W.I.I.F.M approach given would prevent client from circling back to the PA option. I think a better approach...if resistance is encountered..might be to ask how much they are putting into the production, importance/goal of project, then pointing out missing a critical position or staffing it with the wrong person could jeopardize the production.

$.02

Another great tip! Thanks for sharing. I was hoping others would also chime in with what works best for them as there really isn't just one way to skin a cat. 

I think the important thing is for everyone to have the negotiations skills needed to request more money, when warranted, instead of just caving because the Producer is saying they only have X amount of dollars. In most cases they do have more money its just our job to persuade them into spending it wisely on sound. 

I once tried to up sell a Producer. I said things like - "but he's got a mate who's a DOP who owns a Red Camera" "He's got a Subway discount card" "He counts to 10 like this 1, 2, 3 miss a few, 12" "He's very passionate about his projects, and expects everyone else to share that passion" and "He only has $300 for sound inc gear, but he will come and wash your car every Saturday for 6 months"

But nobody would buy it, um, I mean him...