Lectrosonics Duopack rechargeable Li Ion housing for SRb receiver

LarryF

What an elegant solution! Larry-- your posts on batteries (and innovation with powering in general) are truly inspiring. Thank you so much for what you do!

I often wish that the TX end of all the compact wireless weren't AA based, but rather a custom lithium solution with longer run time...

I often wish that the TX end of all the compact wireless weren't AA based, but rather a custom lithium solution with longer run time...

No thanks! Readily available, cheap, can be rechargeable and last for at least half a day: AA batteries. Please don't change them to an expensive custom lithium solution

One word: Q5X.

Two words: Erased media and frostbite.

LOL

LEF

That's at least three words. And if you count "and" as a word, it's actually four ;)

Right away I'd need a metal "sleeve" like the one sold by Lectro for the naked SRB--that comes in VERY handy….

Are there any mounting holes (like 1/4-20) inthis thing I hope?

philp

Hi Philip,

There are no holes in the case because the lithium ion batteries fill both sides of the case completely. Running 1/4-20 screws into the batteries would be very interesting. "Interesting" is used as in the Chinese Curse.

The sleeve, however, will have several such holes and PEM nuts like the SRSLEEVE.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

What an elegant solution! Larry-- your posts on batteries (and innovation with powering in general) are truly inspiring. Thank you so much for what you do!

Hi Cory,

AA batteries are ubiquitous and have their place for replaceable batteries. They will be our standard for the foreseeable future where near instant uptime is required. Li-Ion batteries will be used in other systems due to the need for more power or space efficiency. If you want to design a very small transmitter for instance, smaller than an SMv, you have to discard the AA battery for another type and Li-Ion becomes the obvious choice. However there is no reason not to use replaceable Li-Ion's and have your hardtack and eat it too.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

Larry, still only US?

Want...

Hi Gavin,

Testing for Europe regulations is triple the costs of the US and other countries. It is approximately $12k for the Duopack (Transmitter costs are much worse at $35k). We will have to see what the demand is like in the EU to see if we can spread that $12k over enough units. For the short term, it won't be legally available.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

[snip]

and, this will no doubt affect the EU pricing...

Hi Mike,

We haven't in the past but it is an interesting thought....  If we did though, there would probably be a grey market very quickly, so I don't think we could win (break even).

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

Larry: " We haven't in the past but... "

Glad you pointed that out..

I was primarily thinking about several past threads where manufacturers were being bashed for supposedly price gouging their EU customers....

so we'll all pay, and now I'm thinking about the threads where folks complain that professional equipment prices are too high...

running a business isn't cheap! 

Edited by studiomprd

[snip]

I was primarily thinking about several past threads where manufacturers were being bashed for supposedly price gouging their EU customers....

[snip]

We don't differentiate between regions. Dealer prices are in dollars and are the same to all dealers. There are other things like, exchange rates, VAT, customs, social costs and shipping that we have no control over.

Furthermore, our sales guys are too lazy to keep track of different prices for different regions. Also, they slept through their 5th grade math classes. Two believe the world is flat. The others believe it is a large bowl to hold all the water.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

In fairness to Larry I'm very aware that despite price discrepancies the 'Euro' Lectro are very much dependant on the US dollar. My dealers have pointed this out when I've been considering purchases on various occasions.

I have no idea if other audio gear manufacturers also play by that rulebook, but have not come across the same kind of 'buy-it-now-the dollar-is-favourable' kind of offers on my other stuff.

Wireless kit is not supposed to be subject to UK customs (import) duty (worth bearing in mind in those aforementioned 'discussions') and as VAT is generally claimed back by most UK mixers it is largely an irrelevance. If Lectro historically have not passed on the higher testing costs to the customers that should logically leave only shipping and dealer overheads as the margin for difference, combined with the exchange rates.

I think this is where some of the 'price gouging' type of arguments have come from. It's not quite as simple as it seems.

[snip]

[snip]

Wireless kit is not supposed to be subject to UK customs (import) duty (worth bearing in mind in those aforementioned 'discussions') and as VAT is generally claimed back by most UK mixers it is largely an irrelevance. If Lectro historically have not passed on the higher testing costs to the customers that should logically leave only shipping and dealer overheads as the margin for difference, combined with the exchange rates.

[snip]

Hi James,

We have not passed on European testing costs but we have talked about it. Actually more cursing than talking. To test a transmitter for Europe is more than $30k in just testing fees, let alone all the indirect engineering and paperwork costs that are even more. $60k is probably conservative. If you make a specialty device such as the waterproof WM, and sell 100 units a year then that adds $600 to the dealer price for each unit, if you want to recoup your costs in a year. That $600 would be even more to the customer after dealer markup. It makes it very difficult for a low volume manufacturer to sell a wide range of products into the EU.

Best Regards,
Larry Fisher
Lectrosonics

[snip]

Hi James,

We have not passed on European testing costs but we have talked about it. Actually more cursing than talking. To test a transmitter for Europe is more than $30k in just testing fees, let alone all the indirect engineering and paperwork costs that are even more. $60k is probably conservative. If you make a specialty device such as the waterproof WM, and sell 100 units a year then that adds $600 to the dealer price for each unit, if you want to recoup your costs in a year. That $600 would be even more to the customer after dealer markup. It makes it very difficult for a low volume manufacturer to sell a wide range of products into the EU.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

Thanks Larry. I think the whole subject of 'foreign pricing' is very interesting and your candour is welcomed. The fact that Lectro don't pass on the extra development and testing costs to EU customers is great, although it does leave one wondering where the extra money goes.

If anyone cares - the UK import duty is :

Wireless kit 0%.

For mixers 3.7%

Digital recorders 2%

I've derailed this thread long enough I think.

JA : " but have not come across the same kind of 'buy-it-now-the dollar-is-favourable' kind of offers on my other stuff. "

I have, and it has been around for many many years...

I remember specifically buying two Narga IV-STC recorders, one for US$ 10k, and one for US$ 14k  because of the excange rates...

LarryF: " that adds $600 to the dealer price for each unit, if you want to recoup your costs in a year. That $600 would be even more to the customer after dealer markup "

that adds $600 to the dealer price for each EU unit, if you want to recoup your costs in a year. That $600 would be even more to the customer after dealer markup...

OTOH, for a high volume company (let's say Shure) selling thousands of units, and amortizing the costs over 2-3 years, the burden may become almost trivial.

JA: " although it does leave one wondering where the extra money goes. "

here we go again...  there are numerous extra costs potentially on imported/exported gear and it works both ways, often making gear imported from Europe to USA quite costly; I have personally brought back gear from Europe and the Orient as it was significantly cheaper.

There are political and business forces at work, extra steps, and of course economies of scale (often the reverse, as in the disadvantages of small scale!).

anyone in business who is actually  trying to gouge will typically figure out realize that it is hurting business (limiting sales) and not actually increasing profits...

JA : " but have not come across the same kind of 'buy-it-now-the dollar-is-favourable' kind of offers on my other stuff. "

I have, and it has been around for many many years...

I remember specifically buying two Narga IV-STC recorders, one for US$ 10k, and one for US$ 14k  because of the excange rates...

LarryF: " that adds $600 to the dealer price for each unit, if you want to recoup your costs in a year. That $600 would be even more to the customer after dealer markup "

that adds $600 to the dealer price for each EU unit, if you want to recoup your costs in a year. That $600 would be even more to the customer after dealer markup...

OTOH, for a high volume company (let's say Shure) selling thousands of units, and amortizing the costs over 2-3 years, the burden may become almost trivial.

JA: " although it does leave one wondering where the extra money goes. "

here we go again...  there are numerous extra costs potentially on imported/exported gear and it works both ways, often making gear imported from Europe to USA quite costly; I have personally brought back gear from Europe and the Orient as it was significantly cheaper.

There are political and business forces at work, extra steps, and of course economies of scale (often the reverse, as in the disadvantages of small scale!).

anyone in business who is actually  trying to gouge will typically figure out realize that it is hurting business (limiting sales) and not actually increasing profits...

Actually, no.

If we are talking about Lectrosonics then because of Larry's highly 'open book' posts above we can easily see that only the shipping and dealer overheads (and they presumably purchase at trade price) are left after working out the exchange rate for the UK. Import tax, VAT and any associated costs to do with EU rules are irrelevant as previously noted.

Of course this does not apply to other manufacturers whose cost calculations we are not party to and also non wireless kit which has a small import penalty (coming into the UK).