Blackmagic Smartview mounting solutions

Alistair Duff

My Mini Cart is only 15 inches wide - so rack mounting anything doesn't really work.

I opened up the case, drilled the back, and bolted in an ambient quick release.  Granted, I rest it on it's end, but a magic arm keeps it in place and would also keep it suspended if I wanted to raise it up.  I fold the monitors down flat when loading into a truck or my car.

Warning: I'm sure drilling the case or even opening it up has voided it's warrantee.  Also, the Ambient quick release has some play to it - it twists just a little even when locked closed.  Perhaps there are some better alternatives out there.

post-146-0-43318700-1417016472_thumb.jpg

post-146-0-10878400-1417017235_thumb.jpg

These are the best I have at hand with the cart (thankfully) not here.

Find I must prep this weekend, so...

Have a bunch of things to think about, including a transition from my beloved analog video/balun/cat5 setup to beautiful HD + 3 x 100' snake o' three BNC's. Yes? No? No DIT invited to this party.

And other prep stories.

https://zoom.us/j/817979726

Hanging out winding down.

post-859-0-51864600-1417047953_thumb.jpg

post-859-0-41276200-1417047994_thumb.jpg

See StarCase custom aluminum racks and think pieces/parts. Two of their corner brackets and a couple of lengths of rack frame. Some holes, nuts and bolts and bingo! A rack where there was none before and darned sturdy. 

Gotta figure out a quick release if I go HD as below outlined.

Here's my plan using extant mini-rack pictured:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1091833-REG/decimator_dd_md_quad_multi_defnition_quad_3g_hd_sd_sdi_quad.html

This:

1091833.jpg

Plus this: 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1001117-REG/ikan_vx17e_field_monitor.html

1001117.jpg

Oh gee.

I want my DIT back!

post-859-0-77731400-1417048353_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

So this is what I eventually came up with to mount my BlackMagic SmartView monitor to my upright Magliner cart. The mount uses two swiveling brackets that came off of a pair of boom holder cups from Backstage carts. (The brackets might be able to be ordered separately.) I drilled through the shell and installed machine screws from inside the case. There is lots of room inside for mounting ideas. I removed the bezel and decided I liked it off better. This is really lightweight and small and can be mounted at any height.

post-6678-0-75396000-1431841549_thumb.jp

post-6678-0-28965600-1431841558_thumb.jp

post-6678-0-32313100-1431841560_thumb.jp

post-6678-0-54677100-1431841564_thumb.jp

post-6678-0-77405900-1431841566_thumb.jp

• 1 year later...
On 26 November 2014 at 3:58 AM, Alistair Duff said:

What are some clever and small footprint mounting solutions for the Blackmagic dual monitors? I know that Malcolm Davies has a cool one that his company makes, wondering what else people have found for it.

We make a rigidised aluminium sleeve that has rack strip on the front vertical edges and an open back so you can access the connectors. It is less than a quarter of an inch over the 19 inch wide rack. We made 3U and 4u for some gear that Lisa Pinero put on one of our carts.

This is a very cheap but effective solution for our documentary rig. The Smartview is in a 3RU wall bracket screwed to a Savage Universal 15.75" x 18.5" Air Flow Tech Table on top of some generic carbon fibre tripod legs; power provided by a custom cable from the Remote Audio BDS.

IMG_20161001_204130.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 17 May 2015 at 6:51 AM, Alistair Duff said:

So this is what I eventually came up with to mount my BlackMagic SmartView monitor to my upright Magliner cart. The mount uses two swiveling brackets that came off of a pair of boom holder cups from Backstage carts. (The brackets might be able to be ordered separately.) I drilled through the shell and installed machine screws from inside the case. There is lots of room inside for mounting ideas. I removed the bezel and decided I liked it off better. This is really lightweight and small and can be mounted at any height.

IMG_0513.JPG

IMG_0510.JPG

IMG_0509.JPG

IMG_0505.JPG

IMG_0504.JPG

Alistair - I hope you don't mind but I've copied your ingenious solution. I had the boom holder cup and lockable bracket from backstage which i wasn't using so this couldn't be better.

One day with enough sleep i might actually come up with my own ideas. 

Lisala 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Im looking at buying a SmartView Duo, not the 4k, and Im wondering can I power it from an NP1 battery using a HawkWoods SQN4s?  Im wondering if owners of the SmartView could tell me how long I would get before having to change battery?

At the moment I only use NP1s so it would be handy to keep it that way if the SmartDuo isnt too power hungry and not have to buy a different type of charger and batteries.

I'll buy a bigger battery for the new cart at some stage when I have time...

Thanks for any tips!

Hey DeafDave, I power my SmartView Duo using exactly what have described, Hawkwoods SQN4s and IDX Lithium Np1's. This also powers a dual usb port for phones, iPad etc. I don't think I've gone over two batteries a day and I constantly forget to turn it off over lunch or long set ups.

Thanks for your reply Nate - very helpful!  Im going to run the smartView Duo on a separate hawkwoods battery pack so that its not in my audio chain. 

Have you ever had problems with bncs from the camera causing interference?  I had terrible problems on a shoot recently and I think it was the bnc cable roll that the hire company provided for the director's monitors

I run separate batteries for monitor and cart for the reason you mention. 

I haven't had any issues with RFI with my current setup, but I brought my own good quality SDI cables. I also have a patch bay with short (again high quality) patch cables so as not to put undue stress on the bcc's on the monitors. 

However I have had rfi issues, in bag mode, when the cam dept were using cheap sdi cables. 

Anyone done any power mods to the duo, front mounted power switch and or separate power switches for each screen..?

Going to try and mod mine as handy when running in batt mode. Main power on/off should be doable, not sure re sep monitors tho as they will share the same PS.

Like the mounting ideas too. great stuff.

C.

• 3 months later...
On 10/30/2016 at 2:51 PM, Nate C said:

I run separate batteries for monitor and cart for the reason you mention. 

I haven't had any issues with RFI with my current setup, but I brought my own good quality SDI cables. I also have a patch bay with short (again high quality) patch cables so as not to put undue stress on the bcc's on the monitors. 

However I have had rfi issues, in bag mode, when the cam dept were using cheap sdi cables. 

Just ran across this post. Have also experienced issues with RFI using the Blackmagic Duo monitors. In our case though, it is external RF which causes the left monitor to either lose sync or lose image altogether. Not the SDI cables. Perhaps a poor solder connection internally.

Very annoying nonetheless.

• 5 years later...

Hi Folks!

I'm renting a Blackmagic Smartview monitor for an upcoming shoot here in Tokyo.

I use the Soundcart Minicart, but the lead time for the 3U rack mount adapter is too long (1 month).

Any suggestions on alternative mounting solutions that does not modifiy the smartview unit would be very helpful!

I also have a 3d printer but can't find STL files for this purpose.

Most rack adapters are going from smaller sized item to fit on 19" racks, as opposed to 19" rack sized item to fit on a smaller rack.

Another solution would be renting a different monitor, if anyone knows alternative monitors that play nicely with the Minicart with minimal modifications, I'd be greatful to hear about it.

Thank you!

-Edan