Shotgun Mics

L7NirvanaLove

I'm probably the worst person on here to respond about "location" sound but I happen to love microphones so I'll jump in.

The big question before you decide on any mic is what is it going to be used for? And the reality to this is, every pro owns multiple mics specifically for the right environment, situation, voice and instrument (studio stuff).

I was going to post my totally non-veteran opinions based on what I've used but there are better people here for that info. The thing I will post is this:

http://homerecording.com/bbs/equipment-forums/microphones/how-does-diaphragm-size-polar-pattern-relate-mic-applications-27030/

97 forums pages where Harvey Gerst walks you through different mic types, polar patterns, freq curves, circuits, etc. Grab a beer and read this before you buy any microphone.

I'm probably the worst person on here to respond about "location" sound but I happen to love microphones so I'll jump in.

The big question before you decide on any mic is what is it going to be used for? And the reality to this is, every pro owns multiple mics specifically for the right environment, situation, voice and instrument (studio stuff).

I was going to post my totally non-veteran opinions based on what I've used but there are better people here for that info. The thing I will post is this:

http://homerecording.com/bbs/equipment-forums/microphones/how-does-diaphragm-size-polar-pattern-relate-mic-applications-27030/

97 forums pages where Harvey Gerst walks you through different mic types, polar patterns, freq curves, circuits, etc. Grab a beer and read this before you buy any microphone.

Thanks I'll definitely take a look. I am mostly going to focus on capturing dialogue.

i've gone through similar thoughts myself whenever i'm looking for a mic - the short story is it probably doesn't really matter, but i like gear and thinking about it :)

each of them has some pros and cons, and you just have decide what it important to you.

other mics which are similar are:

Sennheiser MKH 60

Sennheiser MKH 8060

Sanken CS3e

Schoeps CMIT 5U

Neumann KMR-81

if you search for there you'll find a lot of pros and cons, in the end i bought a 416 because i figured for the type of stuff i do my skills are the weakest link compared to any of these mics ;)

chris

If you buy a 416 today - you will have that same mic when you retire. You will add additional mics to your collection - but you will always have that 416.

I'm a living example of that. First pieces of kit I bought were the 416 I used daily until two years ago, a short pole, cable and Zeppelin. Eventually two of 'em that still rest in the drawer waiting for another day in the sun.

For the record: Sennheiser no longer produces the MKH 416.Parts will be hard to get at some point..I don't understand why they stopped producing such a workhorse while they still make the MD 421 and MD 21 (dynamic workhorses!)

Who told you that?

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/short-gun-tube-microphone-camera-films-mkh-416-p48u3

Local audio-for-film vendors.(and we have 3 of them in Amsterdam) I guess they are right.

The 416 has been pronounced dead before. Last time, it was when the 8060 was introduced, supposedly the successor. But they still list is as current and even if they did end it they would still repair it for a long time. Neumann still "repairs" mics that 40 or more years old. If true, now would be a good time to buy one, because prices on used 416s may well rise then

The 416 has been pronounced dead before. Last time, it was when the 8060 was introduced, supposedly the successor. But they still list is as current and even if they did end it they would still repair it for a long time. Neumann still "repairs" mics that 40 or more years old. If true, now would be a good time to buy one, because prices on used 416s may well rise then

In my memory it was when they released the MKH60. Users spoke up and they un-discontinued the MKH416.