Shotgun Mics

L7NirvanaLove

In defense of the NTG3: worked with it in harsh conditions, from wet and hot to cold and dry, minus 15 to plus 45 (60 plus in sauna) Celsius. Didn't let me down. Own one since 2008 or 2009. Never had a problem, except once, when a screw came a bit loose.

+1 I had a NTG 3 and I used it in extreme conditions such as at sea level (Humidity, cold and salt) without any problem. Too, the NTG3 have a nice sound

hi, and welcome...L7N: " Which mic is better to purchase for location sound I'll probably be doing more motion picture stuff. Ntg3 or Mkh416? "

yes!

before such a post, you probably should have looked around (searched) here...and found some of those 642 other posts!

Bralle: " they still make the MD 421 and MD 21 (dynamic workhorses!) "

the current versions are not the same as the originals (I believe the new versions carry a "mark 2" notation. I once sent in a badly trashed old MD-421, and the repair estimate was really astronomical, as they were basically going to rebuild me an original version from original parts.

MD: " The guy is asking a genuine question!! "

and you are not answering it...

Edited by studiomprd

I used an NTG3 for a week in an environment with heavy rain and RF. Neither seemed to affect the mic much. It was a decent mic, and IIRC worked better in hard verby interiors than a 416 would have... But this was a few years ago; I had the mic for review and didn't keep it.

I still have my 416. It's a great desert island mic...but there aren't many hard interiors on desert islands. 

So IIRC, the NTG3 is a decent mic and I'd say an OK first mid-priced short shotgun.

In my memory it was when they released the MKH60. Users spoke up and they un-discontinued the MKH416.

Yes, I heard that, too. But Sennheiser introduced the MKH 8060 as the successor to the 416 (at least in some marketing publication) so many people assumed the 416 was going to be discontinued. It wasn't, until now apparently.

Thanks for the opinions. I tried searching the forums for posts about this topic but the website was giving me problems so I decided to post the question. Sorry for those who have read and seen this question before. 

now people will tell you you should have searched how to search the forum :)

seriously, it's pretty brocken and people always use google (maybe this could be advised on the search page?)