Questions about the Cantar X3

soundrolling

Q1: WiFi and Bluetooth for upcoming application on smartphones?

Q2: How many years warranty?

Q3: Auxiliary outputs have the ability for pre / post fader?

Q4: Panning section via menu?

Q5: Have you the ability to record ISO tracks and mixdown in SD cards?

Q6: Word clock abilities or only via Dante?

General: More details about mic preamps, freq. response, delay in/out, HPF etc

OK. So much questions. Sorry

Hi Matt,

Thanks for reaching out. Would love to see more concrete evidence.

Here are my questions for now

As a Cantar user I work with the  sound report creation in the Cantar X1/2 by entering metadata with a PDA.  Fast-ish by mid 2000s standards, concise, and correctable on the fly, or later. (no big keyboard with a tiny screen to read) Will there be some equivalent seamless interface? iPhone/iPad or whatever the platform. These little details will determine whether I upgrade. It makes a world of difference at the end of my TV series day, aside from the brilliant audio quality.

There is a good few of us out there using this 10+ year old great sounding technology/artistry (yes there is another thread where this age of equipment was brought up. I for one use a lot of gear older than 10 years, and some much newer) - longest time with one recorder in my film sound experience.

My other question would be will there be a new Cantarem reflecting the added tracks available on the native machine?

Best regards,

Jim Rillie

Hey all,

Getting an email interview for the Cantar X3, feel free to also add any questions you have to here or http://soundrolling.com/cantar-x3/

Thanks,

Matt

In answer to Vasileios:

Q1: Yes there is bluetooth and wifi on the X3. There will be an app for iPhone / iPad – not necessarily at the first deliveries but anticipated in the 1st quarter 2015. You can of course use a USB keyboard or a wireless USB travel keyboard and this works really well with the much bigger display.

Q2: I am checking this. Certainly 1, but probably 2 years.

Q3: Pre / post fader on the 8 line (aux) outputs the will be implemented.

Q4: There will be full panning. Initially the request from users was for left – centre – right, but at 24 tracks there are likely to be a reasonable number of music recordists using Cantar X3s so full panning is implemented.

Q4: There is the ability to record the iso tracks and mixdown internally to the SSD and simultaneously to the 2 SD cards and to a USB stick.

Q5: Word clock in and out will be available at the accessory socket.

Q6: The 8 x mic preamps are similar to the X2 preamps with Lundahl transformers but new components make the new preamps even quieter than the previous ones. There are delays on all the inputs and all the outputs. There are high pass filters as before and full eq.

In answer to Gonzo:

First deliveries will be early 2015 – should be January – for those who placed early orders.

There will be a new Cantarem: This will be 12 x 12cm faders and wider spaced than on the X3 itself. The magnetic faders of the X3 are far smoother than the X1/X2 and this new magnetic fader design means that the magnetic system is suitable for a panel. There will be a Cantarem II initially, existing Cantarem panels can be used with the X3. The Cantarem II will be followed by a fully featured panel at a later date – something close to my heart.

In answer to Jim:

I like you, am using Cantar X1/X2s – a design going back over 10 years and still going strong. I was speaking today to both Pierre and Pascal and they are well aware just how important the peripheral devices are to the new X3. One of the software writers Paul Thilloy wrote the Tarkan programme and it is a great little programme but only for X2 and laptop use. He is working on the iPhone / iPad app and if it is as good as Tarkan it will be a really useful tool. Having said that, data input on the X3 is easier as the screen is so much bigger and there are copy paste functions and you can change say a track name or comment over a number of takes rather than one at a time. Wireless miniature keyboards are about €40 and work so well with the big screen that it is like using Tarkan: so you may find that you don’t actually need to use the app.

Also on the Cantarem II: the Cantarem II will have 12 full throw linear faders and that I think will be good for most of our uses. Like the Cantarem, the faders are fully assignable as are the faders on the X3 itself so with an X3 and a Cantarem II you will have 22 faders for a 24 track recorder. Being assignable, you could also use 2 x Cantarem II or a Cantarem and a Cantarem II for big scenes, possibly with two sound recordists mixing next to each other. It should be a very versatile system.

I hope that this answers your questions. I am really looking forward to getting up and running with the X3. 

All best

Tim

giantsound.co.uk

Tim is screwing up soundrolling's interview... ;)

Oh, not really but then... 

Tim's answer to Q4: There is the ability to record the iso tracks and mixdown internally to the SSD and simultaneously to the 2 SD cards and to a USB stick.

To elaborate further - you can record any format to anything at the same time. BWF-Poly, BWF-Mono, Mix tracks only, Mix + ISO, ISO only etc.

All four media (SSD, 2 x SD and USB drive/stick) can have completely different settings as to what they will be recording.

-vin

Surely to pose the questions here and answer them elsewhere would be disrespectful to, and a misuse of JW Sound? If the questions are answered here where they were asked, I have no problem with them being repeated elsewhere - which benefits both the JW Sound, the Soundrolling and the Cantar communities in general.

T

Haha don't worry Vincent, i am happy to help facilitate the information people want in a more direct manner :), ill post a copy on the page anyway incase someone else comes looking there first.

Thanks Tim!

you did miss one question posted on soundrolling.com in regards to how well it works in a bag?

Thanks again!