What do you use for your Timecode generator?

Darren

I went to a seminar last night where Pierre Blanc of Sonosax was demonstrating their latest products.  Their new MiniR82 recorder caught a few people's attention.

However, it was noted that while it featured a built in t/c generator and a t/c input so that it could be jammed, it did not have a timecode output that one could use to jam slates, etc.  When I asked Pierre why this was the case, he responded that Sonosax is under the assumption that most Production Sound departments use either a Denecke or Ambient Master Clock and therefore this feature is not necessary.

Personally, I do use a Denecke Master clock, but that is a very new addition to my package and was only purchased as I required it for Metacorder.  I am curious; what percentage of sound mixers are using a Master Clock as your t/c generator instead of your primary recorder's t/c?

-Darren

Hi Darren.

Not me (using a Deva V currently and PD-4 before) but I use a Denecke TS-3 wich could serve as a generator.

I guess that will be the case of the new Zax apparatus (I mean it will need ext TC to be set up) It seems it will have TC out though...

(useless testimonial? =:P  )

On a union production, is the camera dept. or the sound dept. responsible for time code, and does this have a bearing on whether a black box/slate or recorder is used to jam?

Am I right that none of the recorders, unlike a master clock, can check for drift?

Myself, I've elected to use an Aaton camera to jam ASCII to a Sound Devices recorder.

redge wrote:

"Am I right that none of the recorders, unlike a master clock, can check for drift?"

While it is not a recorder, the Ambient 301 slate has a feature where it can measure drift between it and other devices that it was either jammed from or that were jammed from it.

On shoots where time code synchronization is required, I generally take responsibility. after all, time code sync is for the benefit of audio. I try to maintain a good, positive working relationship with the camera assistants who work directly with the slate and/or on- camera timecode if it's an HD shoot. Good camera assistants are usually very tech savvy and we work out the details between us. Then nobody else has to worry about these issues. Most DPs couldn't care less about time code and other housekeeping issues and are quite happy to have someone else worry about them. Sometimes the script supervisor is involved, making sure everybody's on the same page, literally, and slate/take numbers etc. are correct. They rarely worry about time code, though I've sometimes called out numbers to a sympathetic script person when I'm under the gun and copy his notes later. I've found sound, camera assist and script people are often very collaborative; we all think we are underappreciated and indespensable to the project and damn, we don't get no respect! Oh yeah, what's the difference between a sound man and a generator? The generator stops whining at the end of the day.

Chris Newton

On shoots where time code synchronization is required, I generally take responsibility....

Chris Newton

Hi Chris,

In the spirit of trying to keep this thread on topic, do you use a Master Clock or one of your recorders as your t/c generator?

I have been using a GR-1 for 7 years, or so, since my first DigiBeta shoot.

These days I jam the GR-1 from the Cantar system clock, then th eVantar from the GR-1

(sounds crazy, doesn't it) My own method with tiny differences between the slates,

Cantar and GR-1. The biggest variation I have seen without powering down the recorder,

is less than 1/2 of one tenth of a frame between start and lunch. My Denecke slates and GR-1 were calibrated by Denecke about two or three years ago. My HHB Portadat regularly drifts in the same scenario about one frame out in three or four hours. The Fostex FR2 also has a nice tight TC generator as well, coming a close second with about .02 of a frame drift in by lunch.

Jim Rillie

I think new Denecke slates can check for drift too (check TS-C and TS-3)

The drift check involves sending data back to the master clock so it's not stand-alone capable AFAIK.

I'm currently using 744T to jam TS-C and/or Lock-its. I also set the "feed me" option on the slate just to remind AC to return mid-day for a re-jam. Seems to be rock solid.

-EB