MDR-7506 Wiring Trouble

BAB414

Hey guys,

I'm totally stumped. I got the Remote Audio straight replacement cable since my cans were a bit old and one of the ears had gone out. I'm not the world's best solderer but here's what's now happening.

Left channel goes to Left ear (as planned).

Left AND Right channels go to Right ear instead of Right channel only.

I can't figure out why the Left channel is getting to the right ear, full and clear.

I tested with a couple different playback devices using youtube stereo test videos. I also put a stereo song in a DAW. Panned full L, I hear L in both ears, Panned full R, I hear R in Right ear, nothing in L ear. Panned center, I think I'm hearing L in L, and L+R in R.

Can anyone tell me where I might have gone wrong? Could it be something in the connector end, the right ear cup, or maybe some solder touching something it shouldn't?

Thanks so much,

Ben

What's even weirder - testing more videos - it seems like when I'm watching a mono video, the Left ear is a lot louder than the Right ear. Could this mean the Left channel is getting to the Right ear but is being mostly cancelled out because it's making contact where it shouldn't be?

Sounds like you have the two drivers wired in series, which would cause the symptoms you described.

The drawing near the top of this thread is correct but not so clear, and the wire colors may be different on the replacement cable. The cable kit should have a wiring diagram in it, but this may have been overlooked. I'll see if I can get one posted tomorrow.

In the mean time, if you have an ohm meter to test continuity, identify the wires that go to the tip, ring, and sleeve of the 1/4" connector Ring=Right, Tip=Left, Ring=Common ("-" or ground). The ring eventually connects to the right driver pad marked red, but is first soldered to the unused pad on the left driver. The connector sleeve first connects to the other pad (not marked red) on the left driver, then jumped to the same pad on the right driver.

It's hard to describe without a drawing. I'll try to post what should have been in the kit to begin with.

GT