Got a Union call

Tom Maloney

Well the old man here finally got a union job, not exactly a call from the union but the production company had a rush fast turn around call for the following day and I guess with all the work here in Chicago , the hall could not fill it.

My reason for writing this is to complement the union members I had a chance to work with.

Was a pleasure to work with a client and a director who knew what he wanted, a DP that knew how to get it fast and a gaffer and grips that got it done now. Oh and good food!!!

I have worked on a number of features and even corporate jobs where the camera op wanders from the camera while rolling to check email on the phone or when a cut is called crew thinks its TTT ( time to talk ) and looks at utube  videos on their phones. Used to drive me crazy all the chatter and noise in-between takes. Now when they get ready to roll sound I simply say i am waiting for quite please.

Don't get me wrong I like to have fun, but when someone is paying me for my time, my experience and my gear I like to think I give them 8 for 8 or 10 for 10 in most cases.

I think it would be good for all newcomers in this business no mater what position see a professional crew in action and see it is a job and work and not romper room.

Cheers

Tom Maloney

Chicago

TM: " not exactly a call from the union "

The IA is not a hiring hall union.

" I think it would be good for all newcomers in this business no mater what position see a professional crew in action "

me too...

the problems with all the CL/Mandy CRAP is that they do not know how to make a movie, they do not know how a real set operates (thus I simply compare them to what I call "real productions" (maybe I should change that to professional shoots, or something..?)

I keep telling my students (that all want to be directors and or DP's) that they need to get themselves onto such "real sets" --even as a PA, or extra--...and see how it is really supposed to be done.  typically the experience they get working on their student shoots is bad experience, and they learn bad habits, too.

Hi Mike,

These are symptoms, not problems. When you have cough the problem is not the cough, but the disease (illness) which provoked cough. So the problem exist from root, not from leaves.

Is everyone responsibility to teach the fundamental rules in a workplace.