The Future...

soundtrane

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And there were always those who were happy driving an old Ford Fiesta. And there are others who prefer a BMW 525 or even a Mercedes S-Class. Both will get from A to B, eventually. But how you get there, how comfortable and how fast, that is the question.

The fact that there are (and always were) low cost options is not going to change the game. Sound Devices isn't going to start sweating, just because of some low-priced competition just like Mercedes isn't going to sweat start sweating, and I bet Arri isn't either.

In fact, it was Sound Devices who closed the gap between the higher end prosumer gear and the higher end pro gear. You might as well argue that Sound Devices was cutting into the market of Tascam or Roland (then Edirol) on the one hand, and of Zaxcom and Aaton on the other

Not surprisingly I agree with JW in his response to RC.

My lovely GH 4 camera hasn't made the Alexa obsolete. The Zoom won't keep anyone at Zax or SD awake at night because the Pro Market is a demanding beast that wants more, never less better tools. Secondary markets are the ones who benefit from the ok is good enough tools like Zoom recorders and DSLR cameras and other prosumer gear out there. If its release platform is internet only then ok is often fine but it doesn't scale up well. Try doing a complicated shot with multiple focus points on a 5D or mixing 6 radio & 2 boom scene on a IPad correctly as the clock ticks and the 100 person crew, location and actors burn through a pile of money on the day. It will never happen in the big leagues.

CrewC

Motion picture entertainment will continue to evolve toward live (unscripted) projects. All major studios/production companies will expand on their "low budget" branches. The sheer volume of content created for the massive number of distribution outlets will dilute the quality of most of the projects. The IA, and in particular 695, will continue to capitulate to the producers in negotiations, possibly including new contract language regarding streaming entertainment (aka new media). Producers will then call all projects New Media, thus qualifying for major discounts on labor. The majority of motion picture sound jobs will be paid at much lower rate. If we are lucky, Hollywood will be less affected than other regions. Sorry if that seems bleak, but producers are in the business of making money, and they seem endlessly creative at it.

Gear will evolve to all digital, with I/O like Dante, and we will deliver sound over internet.

If the future is to take the horse from one position to place it somewhere else or to delete it,

maybe they can remove the boom from pictures easily. 

I look forward to the day when a mixer can repurpose what I've heard DPs say: "Don't worry about the noise, Mr. Director. I read about a plug-in that can completely delete it."    Just substitute boom for noise...