boom holders on carts & antenna mounting

soundtrane

I'm looking for design options for holding up a boom pole on a sound cart. The bottom is done, it is the top part which needs a firm support (clamping) but will not mar the boom pole itself and will also allow for a quick release and lock in...

Also - antenna mounting. The remote audio antenna bar is no longer in production, it could have been the ideal thing for me...

best

-vin

I have tried them all and I am not a big fan of the basic "bobber" since you really need to also fit some sort of strap to secure the pole when moving the cart. The spring tension of pressure just from the rubber is not sufficient (and if it were tight enough you wouldn't be able to pull the pole out). I have had the best luck with these pole holders from West Marine.

West Marine

That said, I realize that the link and the picture are for a similar product, in stainless, and the ones I have used in the past are all plastic. The advantage of this sort of holder is that you can leave it unlatched and it will still secure the pole enough even for a short move. Latching the holder secures the pole completely for a big cart move.

-  Jeff Wexler

post-1-130815078314_thumb.jpg

thanks jeff, seems like the thing i may want.

i dont like the bobbers either, and sergio - mafers on a boom pole? my boom op will not like it one bit! :)

I am sure there are more ideas...

in fact i remember seeing something rob stalder had put in here, a link, to a company that makes auto-lock kind of press to lock thingys for tools, but could not find the post on jwsound despite many search attempts... some european company, i wrote to them then, and got no response...

best

-vin

Mafers worked well for an antenna mast on my old cart--something you might mount and dismount only a few times a day.  For a heavy mic in a zep something positive locking (and not able to break the pole) and easy to deal with

for the boom op (don't want to be behind the whole grip and electric dept in the lunch line!) is what's needed.  Since my current cart is a magliner based thing, we made some brackets attached to the back and lay the poles in them

so they are parallel to the ground, up to 3.  This has made it easy to go thru doors and the shorter poles can stay on the cart when we ramp it into the van.

Philip Perkins

The bobbers that came on my psc cart had velcro straps around them.  These always worked great, as you could use the strap for moves, and just the bobber for in between shots.

Tom

Do they hold well enough to move the cart on roughish terrain with long poles and shotguns w/ zeps?  They certainly ar a simple solution and I'd like to add capacity for a few more poles.

Philip Perkins

I have the ones from Filmtools and even without the velcro closed, thet hold the pole extremely well, I've never had a problem on a move even with a fully loaded pole.  In fact, it is hard to get the pole in sometimes as even though it is the large size, it is very tight with the KTek boom I usually use,  my old VdB is a bit better. 

Dave

I just had a boom pole with a zeppelin on it fall out today on a rough street using the boom bobbers we've been discussing.  The velcro was fastened, but I think the fastening can get compromised if the cable is running though it at just the wrong place.  Kinda good I listened to my boom operator and had the mic in the zeppelin instead of the furry as I had originally thought would be enough.

I guess that the best boom bobbers I've ever seen were on a Michael Lonsdale cart, but they're hard to describe and definitely not something you can get at a film / sound store.

Tim

<best boom bobbers I've ever seen were on a Michael Lonsdale cart>>

I tried looking him up on the net to find a picture of his cart, but nothing came up... About the bobbers, I have had not too good experiences too. The velcro is fine but on repeated use, it just loses it's strength.

-vin

I've never had any trouble with a pole falling out using the rubber bobbers -- they hold quite securely -- two different length vdbs and a K-Tek.  To fasten, or extract, a pole, I have to mean it -- it doesn't happen accidentally. 

I use the fairly large bobbers that match the diameter of the poles nicely.  How securely they hold depends primarily upon how they're mounted.

I install a good size washer under the screw and the flat back side of the bobber is held firmly against the cart.  If the flat backside was not pressing against anything I can see how the bobbers would flex more and would not secure a pole terribly well.  But, if they're screwed in tightly against a surface, in my experience, they will not come loose accidentally.  The washer makes a big difference.

Since the bobbers hold so tightly this way, it takes a bit of technique to use them.  To put a pole in, or take one out, I use a rolling motion of the pole firmly against one side of the bobber while prying apart slightly with a finger or a thumb, and that does the trick.

It works fine and I'm not worried about the poles falling out. (I hate when that happens!)

JB, CAS. etc.

Using the smaller size bobbers w/velcro, at least three times the boom has come off while moving my cart, one of those times the rycote zep cracked; good thing my KMR-81 survived. I agree the maffers clamp is a bit over the top & am thinking on switching to the larger size bobber replacing the supplied velcro for a bungee cord or something to that effect...

Using the smaller size bobbers w/velcro, at least three times the boom has come off while moving my cart, one of those times the rycote zep cracked; good thing my KMR-81 survived. I agree the maffers clamp is a bit over the top & am thinking on switching to the larger size bobber replacing the supplied velcro for a bungee cord or something to that effect...

Try what I use and you'll find it will never fall out:  A large bobber with a good size washer under the screw with the flat side of the bobber mounted firmly against something.  That will eliminate flexing of the middle of the bobber which will alleviate the problem -- no Velcro needed.  All the flexing will then occur only on the two side arms.  It will be a bit more difficult to get the pole in and out, but it won't be in danger of falling.

JB

My bobber is mounted similarly to that described by John, but the pole has still fallen out, once with a zeppelin and once just with the MKH50, but that was a design flaw with the PVC cap at the bottom.  I don't let my guys push the cart with the zeppelin on, and have had not problems since.  I think it's a solid design, and is tight around my Wilcox poles.  The rolling in action takes some practice to do fast, but is easy.  These bobbers are also part of my boom stands.

As a utility person, a pole fell out with a zeppelin.  Fortunately no damage, but I never pushed that cart without supporting the pole with one hand from that point on.

Robert

Thanks a lot Rob, I have seen the rs india site, quite amazing. somehow all my internet searches never took me to this company. however, I am more interested in getting the toolflex for tube mount, considering my cart is made with alu tube. Let's see how it goes with rs india, i am going to order a bunch of other stuff from them anyways.

best regards

vin