Bag Powering Set Up

ljrg

constantin: " The drawback of using only regulated outputs is that you have no way of knowing the condition of your battery and thus it will die without a warning. "

you could use a mix of regulated and unregulated power adapters, so that a volt meter unit (many to choose from) can monitor the direct battery voltage (aka the flying lead).

ljrg: " The response is very confusing as it seems to recommend the only safe way to power portably is with internal AA batteries.... really?? "

not confusing... it is the official company recommendation, and to do otherwise is : "  at your undertaking "

davidP: " 

As the 552 has a battery level check option, will this properly read the battery level with the Hawk-Woods "regulated voltage" cup? "

it will read the voltage being delivered to the 552 properly

The 552 manual says it will operate between 10 - 18VDC. Will performance suffer it the Hawk-Woods cup limits voltage to 12VDC?

let's see,  12 VDC is between 10 and 18 VDC... NO

Sorry for the neophyte questions, but I don't want to damage my gear."

not many of us do

constantin: " The drawback of using only regulated outputs is that you have no way of knowing the condition of your battery and thus it will die without a warning. "

you could use a mix of regulated and unregulated power adapters, so that a volt meter unit (many to choose from) can monitor the direct battery voltage (aka the flying lead).

ljrg: " The response is very confusing as it seems to recommend the only safe way to power portably is with internal AA batteries.... really?? "

not confusing... it is the official company recommendation, and to do otherwise is : " at your undertaking "

davidP: "

As the 552 has a battery level check option, will this properly read the battery level with the Hawk-Woods "regulated voltage" cup? "

it will read the voltage being delivered to the 552 properly

The 552 manual says it will operate between 10 - 18VDC. Will performance suffer it the Hawk-Woods cup limits voltage to 12VDC?

let's see, 12 VDC is between 10 and 18 VDC... NO

Sorry for the neophyte questions, but I don't want to damage my gear."

not many of us do

Thanks for regurgitating this thread and mentioning things again that have already been mentioned.

You're late. Accept it and move to another thread

Thanks to all who have replied to this thread. Lots of great info here, and I appreciate your help.

Regarding the 12VDC limitation of the DR680: 

I recently noticed a 12V NiMH 4000mAh "NP-25" (?) battery on Amazon, made by PowerSmart:

Here's a 12V NP-1 1.7Ah battery at B&H made by Bescor:

Are NiMH and NiCd batteries practical for audio bag use? They are probably heavier, of less capacity and slower charging than the LiOn batteries, but they are (1) available in 12VDC and (2) less expensive than LiOn. 

As I stated on another forum,
12VDC limitation? The Tascam manual states 9-14 volts. I have ran a 680 on my 14.4V power system w/o issue. This would void the warranty though, so sez Tascam.
Based on my previous tests and experience with that recorder, a 12V 1.7Ah battery would likely run it for about two hours (w/o Phantom Pwr). 2.2Ah battery, a little longer.. 4 Ah? (x2).

Thanks again for the help, guys. I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get either the Hawk-Woods regulated cup or a Juicer from RA (Stephen says he can wire one up for 12VDC). I'll have to eat more AA's until I can afford this, but a proper BDS is the right way to go.

thanks again y'all!

The SWIT batteries and charger and HW cup came the other day and I got to say I'm impressed with the quality of everything. Especially the charger, I thought it would feel a bit cheap, but it's super solid. The battery indicators on the NP-1s are mega bright which seems handy and the cup is great. It's a tiny bit bulky for the battery pocket on my Petrol ps602 but it still fits just fine. Can't comment on the compatibility with the HD-P2 just yet as the hirose to jack plug cable hasn't arrived yet, but so far it'll all seeming great.

Davidp158, go for the regulated cup and li-ions!

As I stated on another forum,

12VDC limitation? The Tascam manual states 9-14 volts.

I wonder if you are thinking about the HD-P2 manual? The DR680 manual is very clear that ONLY the supplied 12V AC adapter is approved.

Tom Duffy from Tascam has said elsewhere on this forum "The TASCAM HD-P2 will take almost anything you throw at it. 16V is absolutely no problem, the power input is good to around 24V.

The TASCAM DR-680 is much more picky. Above 14V you may burn out a capacitor (or more) in the power input circuitry. The DR-680 power input was designed for the 12V power brick, not as a general purpose DC input."

DR680screencap.png