Zaxcom QRX200 in the 500 range in NYC

Solid Goldberger

Hi Everyone,

I've been experiencing pretty bad scans (and bad range) with my QRX200 receiving TRXLA2.5 transmitters (using the supplied whips). The same Receivers work wonderfully in the 600 range. I also am using a Block 23 Lectro IFBT4 in the bag, but the scans don't seem appreciably better with that off. When scanning the 500 range, there is RF present at least 50% of the way up all across the band, in many places it's much worse.

Do any of the other New Yorkers on here have this issue? I just purchased 2 more TRXLA2.6 units, and I'm planning to relegate the 2.5s to my last 2 channels to use with a block 20 QRX235, but something doesn't seem right.

E.

I read on another thread, something to the effect of, that the zaxcom whips aren't so great, and that some third party ones were performing substantially better,

just food for thought, I wish I had the thread I was wanting to grab some of these 'third party' whips myself.

I think the thead you are referring to was that any antenna other than a whip (ie sharkfins, dipoles) are better than whips in any circumstances.

A 1/4 wave of what? Which wave do you choose to set your whips at when you have such a wide band of frequencies to cover?

I believe I chose the antenna length for the middle of the 500 range for that receiver.  I don't particularly notice inferior reception when tuning in 600-band transmitters, FWIW.

e.

I have never worked in NYC but here in Las Vegas it seams that the qrx200 has noise in 500mhz that qrx100 does not have. The noise disapears in 600mhz.

But I don't see any practial diffrence in range

Hi Everyone,

I've been experiencing pretty bad scans (and bad range) with my QRX200 receiving TRXLA2.5 transmitters (using the supplied whips). The same Receivers work wonderfully in the 600 range. I also am using a Block 23 Lectro IFBT4 in the bag, but the scans don't seem appreciably better with that off. When scanning the 500 range, there is RF present at least 50% of the way up all across the band, in many places it's much worse.

Do any of the other New Yorkers on here have this issue? I just purchased 2 more TRXLA2.6 units, and I'm planning to relegate the 2.5s to my last 2 channels to use with a block 20 QRX235, but something doesn't seem right.

E.

I'm using QRX200 with TRXLA2.5s in NYC. While I feel like I don't get as clear spectrum scans as I used to in block 26 lectro, I haven't had an issue getting frequencies in block 20 & 21, nor has it affected my range at all. I do have a MicPlexer 2 in front of my QRXs, may be that helps. I would try turning off parts of your bag and see if that produces better scans. Maybe it's possible something is affecting the scans (like the IFBT4 for example)?

PS: " I read on another thread, something to the effect of, that the zaxcom whips aren't so great,  and that some third party ones were performing substantially better, "

another thread ?? please reference, or quote...

something to the effect of ..?  facts, please.

constantin:  " Which wave do you choose to set your whips at when you have such a wide band of frequencies to cover? "

one can use telescoping type whips, and tune them quite precisely... as if that will make much difference in practice....

and yes, I have used whips cut to different blocks, and don't believe there was any difference, at leat that I could discern...