Sentimental Loss.

Nate C

A couple of weeks ago someone pilfered my cable bag out of my car. This bag mainly had longer cables, SDI and antenna cables in it. Luckily my return cable and a 15m cable were left at home.

While this pissed me off and it will cost me around the grand mark to replace them, I later realised the biggest loss was of a sentimental value. One of the long XLR cables 'Big Greenie' had been with me my entire career. It was one of the first cables I had made. Though the XLR's have been replaced a number of times. The memories this cabled held for me whilst booming. Freezing my arse of in the middle of winter booming in storm water drains in the middle of the night, running through the tangle of lighting stingers on set or the Broome days when our wireless boom rig got delayed in transit for a week and I had to boom the first week of the series cabled. All the locations on this job were on the beach, mangroves and rocky outcrops.

RIP 'Big Greenie' ….    Glad to still have your little Bro 'Little Greenie'.

post-2000-0-28925700-1418019423_thumb.jp

Broome WA, Mud Flats, 2008. One step would be fine the next you could sink to your knees.

• 2 weeks later...

How is your back - it looks like it was quite crooked in 2008 ;-))

One of the longest lasting items in my kit is a short round based mic stand, with a short extendable section, with a short arm, also with an extension. Its a long story - but, many years ago, I was leaving a hotel after an IV shoot, and as we were leaving through the loading bay, there was a huge pile of gear arriving for some big dinner to be held that evening in the banqueting room. Now I shall make a big admission. I was young, and I saw this nice looking short mic stand with a small round base, and I thought it might be rather useful in the future, so..... shall we say that it found its way into our car and came home with me.

Cut to later on that evening, when I was watching the main evening news at 10pm. They were reporting that our Prime Minister, Margaret Thatcher (not the most popular PM we ever had in the UK) was making a very important speech at a dinner in the banqueting room of the very same hotel. I watched with interest, and couldnt help but notice that when they cut to the wider shot, she was making the speech into a mic stand made from a piece of wood, into a mic that was gaffer taped onto the end of the piece of wood!!!

That mic stand of embarrassing and dubious origin is one of my most prized and coveted pieces of kit!!! I must have replaced every single part of it over my 30 odd years in the business, but it means an awful lot to me!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ONE AND ALL.

Simon B

Awesome story!

How is your back - it looks like it was quite crooked in 2008 ;-))

One of the longest lasting items in my kit is a short round based mic stand, with a short extendable section, with a short arm, also with an extension. Its a long story - but, many years ago, I was leaving a hotel after an IV shoot, and as we were leaving through the loading bay, there was a huge pile of gear arriving for some big dinner to be held that evening in the banqueting room. Now I shall make a big admission. I was young, and I saw this nice looking short mic stand with a small round base, and I thought it might be rather useful in the future, so..... shall we say that it found its way into our car and came home with me.

Cut to later on that evening, when I was watching the main evening news at 10pm. They were reporting that our Prime Minister, Margaret Thatcher (not the most popular PM we ever had in the UK) was making a very important speech at a dinner in the banqueting room of the very same hotel. I watched with interest, and couldnt help but notice that when they cut to the wider shot, she was making the speech into a mic stand made from a piece of wood, into a mic that was gaffer taped onto the end of the piece of wood!!!

That mic stand of embarrassing and dubious origin is one of my most prized and coveted pieces of kit!!! I must have replaced every single part of it over my 30 odd years in the business, but it means an awful lot to me!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ONE AND ALL.

Simon B