Wiring for Peter Engh OmniGoose (Servo)

BradTheSoundGuy

I have 2 Peter Engh OmniGoose Servo Bias wired mics that I would like to have extender cables for. The guy I'm getting to make said cables tells me there are 3 types of Servo wiring and needs to know which is used in these mics. I've contacted Peter through the email listed on his website twice and with time quickly becoming an issue (need these for Tuesday) I'm reaching out to this community to see if anyone knows the answer as to the way these are wired? I believe the TA5 connector is sealed so opening it up is not an option.

Thanks in advance!

Brad quotes Peter Engh: " "To make TA5 extensions I use Canare star-quad:
L4E5C. Pin 1 is ground and connect all the other pins straight through. You need every pin to go from transmitter to the mic."
"

DOH..

next question: how do I wire a 4 pin extension cable for a 4 pin mic/TX system..?

" The guy I'm getting to make said cables tells me there are 3 types of Servo wiring and needs to know which is used in these mics. "

WHY ?

not to make an extension cable

you are paying this guy too much!

Forgive my ignorance (unlikely, I know!), but for Lectro systems - depending on the mic/source being connected - aren't different combinations of pins used for different setups? If this were/is true, then wouldn't knowing the pin out of the OmniGoose be beneficial? If the OmniGoose only uses 3 of them, wouldn't knowing which be important? Also, I haven't specified anything about this particular cable. The L4E5C Peter mentions is much too thick for the purpose I am needing - so perhaps knowing the pin out is also beneficial in order to select the right cable?

I've done you the service of bolding the words I imagine you will focus on in advance. Thanks for your advice, but I'm quite sure I'm not paying my cable maker enough. Not only does he do damn fine work, but whenever possible he is only happy to educate and mentor. If he ever writes a book perhaps I'll mail you a page from it.

brad: " ? If this were/is true, then wouldn't knowing the pin out of the OmniGoose be beneficial? "

true or not, NO

" If the OmniGoose only uses 3 of them, wouldn't knowing which be important? "

if, or if not, NO

not really,  an extension cable for any microphone plug/jack just needs to go pin for pin, though observing the shield/ground/earth is helpful  (and the same for all Lectro mic wiring!)

brad: " ? If this were/is true, then wouldn't knowing the pin out of the OmniGoose be beneficial? "

true or not, NO

" If the OmniGoose only uses 3 of them, wouldn't knowing which be important? "

if, or if not, NO

not really, an extension cable for any microphone plug/jack just needs to go pin for pin, though observing the shield/ground/earth is helpful (and the same for all Lectro mic wiring!)

q

Well, not really.

While it's true that one could wire such cable as 1:1, if they wanted to slim down... Knowing that there were two connections and 3 NC, it could be beneficial to use a slimmer (for example, single conductor plus shield) cable. Only problem is that it may only work for that mic configuration, whereas a 1:1 extension would work for anything.