Sonosax SX-R4+

pvanstry

I am really satisfied with my SX-R4, but it is limited as it has no mixing capabilities.

So I am very curious what is the new mixing philosophy behind the SX-R4+.

From Charles Tomaras I understood like preamps are recorded directly without further amplification (?), which would mean very low ISO tracks. This approach presents a mighty mix against shy ISOs which is a good presentation for our mix, but for post it would be quite a step to go into ISO level.  I wonder how they will like the concept. 

For my on-set mix up to these days I have tried to get decent levels on my ISOs and only attenuate them mixing them together.

I  like the idea to mix =  to let gradually go, what I dont need. Maybe it is something weird, but the other way round I always end up in the output limiters, out of control.

But with a machine like the SX-R4+  my whole mixing system won't work anymore.

How do all of you feel against this concept? Or did I get something wrong?

And thanks by the way for all the pics and videos!!!

I am really satisfied with my SX-R4, but it is limited as it has no mixing capabilities.

So I am very curious what is the new mixing philosophy behind the SX-R4+.

From Charles Tomaras I understood like preamps are recorded directly without further amplification (?), which would mean very low ISO tracks. This approach presents a mighty mix against shy ISOs which is a good presentation for our mix, but for post it would be quite a step to go into ISO level. I wonder how they will like the concept.

For my on-set mix up to these days I have tried to get decent levels on my ISOs and only attenuate them mixing them together.

I like the idea to mix = to let gradually go, what I dont need. Maybe it is something weird, but the other way round I always end up in the output limiters, out of control.

But with a machine like the SX-R4+ my whole mixing system won't work anymore.

How do all of you feel against this concept? Or did I get something wrong?

And thanks by the way for all the pics and videos!!!

That is one major issue I have also been wondering. Can we not mix without having to buy the ADA and the faders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am wondering where you find or have all of these informations when this product has not delivered yet.

The diagram maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank You for the info and clearing things out.

Precisions:

The SONOSAX SX-R4+ was designed as THE recorder compagnion, to be used over the shoulder, or on the cart.We do take your comments into account, however due to space limitation and power consumption we cannot add multiple outputs on the SX-R4+

so we are planning to make accessories including outputs and talkback system.

Only 1130g (2.49lbs), less than half of others recorders, including the battery to work a full day. This allow you to carry it on the plane if needed, and save your back...!

Audio specs are on the top: 135dB dynamic (ASA A), transformerless to avoid the loss of harmonics, phase shifts, distortions etc.

Adding an optional connector, can be RJ-45 for AoE or XLR multi pins, it is a open system, to be completed with the SONOSAX AD8+, the control surface, or some others accessories.

Considering your comments on multiples outputs, we cannot add inside the SX-R4+, for place, connectors and power, we are thinking to made a accessory including outputs and talkback system.We need sometimes to think about it, and show a draft in few months.

The TC is our own SONOSAX design, 0.5PPM accuracy (sorry Chris Price...) 

Batteries are the same as Aaton. This was discussed with JPB when he was still with Aaton.

Good sound day to all of us!

They're a totally new design on this- this is from email correspondence with Pierre:

"The new SONOSAX SXR4+ features a new and innovative kind of mic-preamplifiers with outstanding characteristics

offering a total dynamic range  of 132dB; therefore there is no longer any need for Gain trims and Limiters.Basically we will use the full dynamic range of the microphones, you will only have to decide prior to the recording if you want to apply a 20dB gain or not depending on which microphone is used (dynamic, condenser, ribbon..) and its placement."[/

I take my info from post #122 and #183

I'm not sure if it's there in the software or not, but I believe the faders just add digital gain post ADC- I can't see reason why you couldn't add more gain to ISOs the same way, if necessary (do the zaxcom nomad/maxx work like this?).

I was running around with a 633 with 6 radios yesterday and the small faders on that were surprisingly useful (and useable)- I'm not sure how much good they'd be pre-adc in the case of the SX-R4+ block diagram (is there an engineering reason for this?), I'd find them much more useful as additional digital controls

now we have to give Sonosax some time to finish this machine in peace

and after the first experiences/tests with a concrete R4+ in the hands it will

always possible to add modifications/extentions.

for sure it will not everyman every situations machine like the other one from the other manufacturers.

maybe not an standard tools, but a Sonosax.

It's a question of phylosophy, of taste behind the pure technical questions.

to give time in time is sometimes necessary, precisely here in Switzerland ::)

I agree. With the modular approach for input, control and now output, Sonosax is making this machine more versatil.

My wish is for this to become reality soon. I hope that the output module will not be as big as the other because a multi input bag would consist of three modules which would make it pretty big and awkward shape wise. If it could be the same width but something like 1.5"x1.5"Xsame width as R4+, and attach itself to the bottom of the R4+, it would make it perfect for bag use.

agree with you Pascal, and through this dicussion i think now they anderstand quite good what are the differents needs for today

but i feel a light ditch beetwen manufacturer/engineer and user, between labor and field.

as builder it's realy important to exactely know what we do and what we need,

how important is to have a realy well thought tool,

not only on the paper but in the reality, on the field and to stay tuned to us, the field workers,

the buyer and tester these beautyfull machine.

this is a nice exchange work in progress...

• 2 weeks later...

Good news, Sonosax crew is hardly working to give us more outputs on the R4+

That is great news, is this working towards an output module, or changes to the recorder? Will this affect the release date?

Thats great news!

How about mix tracks, is it also possible?

I've been told it'll be possible to mix on the R4+

Email from Pierre at Sonosax. Knobs are digital encoders. A/D captures full dynamic range of the mic so adding gain is *technically* unnecessary (I'd expect a way of adjusting it digitally, though)

I was referring to just a controller box without the added price of micpres and ADC

I was referring to just a controller box without the added price of micpres and ADC

Sorry, was referring to the 'how do you mix' question.  I'd also like a smaller 'knobs only' SX-AD8+ controller for bag jobs, while running radios in AES3 over the accessory connector

Something which might work quite nicely as a 'one unit' thing is Audio Ltd do a DB25 plate with 8 pin binder outputs for their RF DA.  You could potentially bolt that on and run power and audio along the cables to/from each RX.  At the moment the DB25s are on 'backwards' (so the receivers would be upside down if the plate's attached to the recorder, but I'll have a look if you can unscrew them and turn them around.

Some pics here: http://rtsound.net/?p=409

• 2 weeks later...