Sonosax SX-R4+

pvanstry

Richard Thomas has posted several times about mixing capabilities.

Let's move forward what this machine can do for us.

Best

Vasileios

It has only been mentioned that it will have mixing capabilities, as opposed to the previous model.

That however does not say much, so it would be nice to get more in depth knowledge about it all, considering how important it is...

You can see on the block diagram the first 4 faders act as gain pot then if you push them in they switch and turn into post gain faders for the mix bus. My concern is why the two line inputs are not Mixing faders ? Not sure about the mix buss but i presume it's in software like the headphone monitoring on the current sxr4.

Lisala

Good news and bad news (from Pierre):

"As we have slightly modified the main board of the SX-R4+ to add a second output, the manufacturing of the SX-R4+ is then a bit delayed

therefore you SX-R4+ will not be available by May."

As all the mixing's done in the DSP any post fade routing and limiting can be done in software

Good news and bad news (from Pierre):

"As we have slightly modified the main board of the SX-R4+ to add a second output, the manufacturing of the SX-R4+ is then a bit delayed

therefore you SX-R4+ will not be available by May."

As all the mixing's done in the DSP any post fade routing and limiting can be done in software

Well I never expect the initially announced dates to ever hold any truth, but I am glad the mixing system is all there and I am happy to wait for more outputs.

Sorry that you might not be able to return with one Richard :) 

Well I never expect the initially announced dates to ever hold any truth, but I am glad the mixing system is all there and I am happy to wait for more outputs.

Sorry that you might not be able to return with one Richard :)

I'm happy I don't have to get extra boxes for additional outputs :)

So, we have all the basics covered (pre-fader, post-fader, mixing etc).

Any improvements on metadata (extended metadata)?

Haven't seen the software, but I noticed a notes field on Rado's video at NAB.  Considering that you'll be able to edit metadata over the wifi interface I'd expect it to be pretty comprehensive.  I've also let Movieslate know that this is in the works, they say it should be fairly easy to implement an interface as long as Sonosax give them access to their wifi protocol

I'm happy I don't have to get extra boxes for additional outputs :)

Haven't seen the software, but I noticed a notes field on Rado's video at NAB.  Considering that you'll be able to edit metadata over the wifi interface I'd expect it to be pretty comprehensive.  I've also let Movieslate know that this is in the works, they say it should be fairly easy to implement an interface as long as Sonosax give them access to their wifi protocol

Ohhh nice move thank you! RF Buddy Wave coming for Sonosax then fingers crossed...

It's already got the wifi interface built in so won't need the extra box for metadata (unless transmitting/receiving TC)

Yeah I mean we usually need the TC Buddy anyways. I wonder if this will also sync through the same wifi without needing another one attached to it? Is that a little far fetched? 

At NAB i was looking at the ambient wireless timecode. I particularly liked that everything is done with a web server so no need for special apps for each device. You can log to the website and monitor all devices sync and jam them.  I asked if they are working with sonosax and they smiled saying they are working with everybody but one company. I think no proprietary is the way to go. If audioLTD change their TX from bluetooth to wifi it will make the possibilities limitless. 

Yeah I mean we usually need the RF Buddy anyways. I wonder if this will also sync through the same wifi without needing another one attached to it? Is that a little far fetched? 

Give me a Z

Give me a A

Give me a ..... You figure it out.

Sorry, folks, you have been given mis-information. Zaxcom has been working with both Ambient and MovieSlate so as to provide the means to move these efforts towards universal metadata integration forward. MovieSlate integration is already part of Deva32, Nomad Oasis and Nomad Touch. The Ambient system is still in development by Ambient but the agreements and the sharing of machine specific protocols are ongoing in the same manner as Ambient and MovieSlate have been doing with most all of the companies. I think the confusion comes from Zaxcom having Zaxnet (which is proprietary) and having introduced Zaxnet before any of the other systems of wireless audio, timecode distribution and remote control were happening. Zaxnet accomplishes features and functions only available with Zaxcom gear. It is not an open standard, it doesn't have to be open, and it doesn't negate in any way Zaxcom's cooperation and alliances with other companies that are working on timecode and metadata distribution.

At NAB i was looking at the ambient wireless timecode. I particularly liked that everything is done with a web server so no need for special apps for each device. You can log to the website and monitor all devices sync and jam them.  I asked if they are working with sonosax and they smiled saying they are working with everybody but one company. I think no proprietary is the way to go. If audioLTD change their TX from bluetooth to wifi it will make the possibilities limitless. 

Well I have been looking at Ambient Lockits for a very long time but have recently been sold to the TC Buddy system by the English crew on another group. Obviously neither the TC Buddy Wave nor the Master Lockit is out yet but I will have another think when they are out.

The R4+ having full WiFi integration with TC Buddy and my iPad would be perfect. 

Just had an update from Pierre on the outputs:

"it will have two connectors, each having its own assignment:

- 1x Analogue stereo/2 channels out on a TA3

- 1x AES on a TA3, that particular connector can be configured either as an input or an output"

So I think it'll be the additional AES 7-8 connector on the left which will be switchable. If you need these converting to analogue an AJA ADA4 could be a good solution. I've got a couple I use with the SX-R4 when connected to a bigger mixer. There might be something smaller out there, though.

Have been thinking of potential controllers since seeing the rs422 port on the SX-R4, but I don't think that had anything in the firmware to support it