Sonosax SX-R4+

pvanstry

SONOSAX SX-R4+ improvements; in answer to future user's demand, we have added outputs as follow:
- 1x Line output on TA-3, 2 channels analog unbalanced
- 1x AES3 output switchable to AES3 balanced input with ASRC on TA-3 connector
- 1x Optional analog stereo output electronically balanced on XLR5 connector

11112983_839361269489229_290458543575790

11401339_839361279489228_528120294540046

​This optional XLR5 balanced O/P, where does it go / what do we loose? eg the rj45/cat5/6 connector?

If we use the AES TA3 O/P for a digital camera send do we loose the ability to use a digital mic like super cmit?

thanks,

dan

SONOSAX SX-R4+ improvements; in answer to future user's demand, we have added outputs as follow:
- 1x Line output on TA-3, 2 channels analog unbalanced
- 1x AES3 output switchable to AES3 balanced input with ASRC on TA-3 connector
- 1x Optional analog stereo output electronically balanced on XLR5 connector

11112983_839361269489229_290458543575790

11401339_839361279489228_528120294540046

This optional XLR5 balanced O/P, where does it go / what do we loose? eg the rj45/cat5/6 connector?

If we use the AES TA3 O/P for a digital camera send do we loose the ability to use a digital mic like super cmit?

thanks,

dan

Why you are going to loose the ability to use a digital mic like Super CMIT?

​I guess not. 8 x AES3 I/Ps + 1 x AES3 ASRC I/P (+O/P) , the ASRC is there for receiving a signal from something on a different sample rate, like a mixer or another recorder and not something like a mic and as an O/P it can send a different sample rate to what we a re running internally (for the convenience of whatever's down stream)?

Having separate TA3 connectors for the AES I/P and O/P might have been a nice way to monitor a digital return (from a digital send), but not as relevant as being able to monitor an analogue return - maybe put analogue>aes converter on the camera's monitor O/P to get a return back into the R4+, while using a the XLR5 for an analogue send :-}

It would be amazing to do everything down cat6 of course.

Well it certainly seems really tightly packed and for such little space, its almost wasteful having a large battery in there when a tiny back up could do just fine, I believe many of us will use external power anyway.

I think the point is to have an internal battery solution that you can power your whole bag with for an extended period of time within the machine. It is to my opinion one of the best asset of this concept if you want to keep the bag compact.

I think the point is to have an internal battery solution that you can power your whole bag with for an extended period of time within the machine. It is to my opinion one of the best asset of this concept if you want to keep the bag compact.

That definitely is a great idea but possibly a little optimistic.

http://inspired-energy.com/Standard_Products/ND2054/ND2054.htm

Is this the battery that we are talking about? 

Edited by Erkal Taskin

​I guess not. 8 x AES3 I/Ps + 1 x AES3 ASRC I/P (+O/P) , the ASRC is there for receiving a signal from something on a different sample rate, like a mixer or another recorder and not something like a mic and as an O/P it can send a different sample rate to what we a re running internally (for the convenience of whatever's down stream)?

What? No, the asrc is for two digital signals running on their own (asynchronous) clocks. It's exactly for recording the output of a digital mic which frequently cannot sync to an external clock. Or you can connect the aes out of a Zaxcom qrx to it with its 32k unclocked output

What? No, the asrc is for two digital signals running on their own (asynchronous) clocks. It's exactly for recording the output of a digital mic which frequently cannot sync to an external clock. Or you can connect the aes out of a Zaxcom qrx to it with its 32k unclocked output

​Ok, so the other (8) AES I/Ps don't have ASRCs? If not, it looses more than just 1 of 9 identical AES I/Ps when the TA3 is used for an output? EG it looses the ability to plug in a QRX directly?

For return on aes in you can use a cheap analogue to spdif converter and put a 75ohm to 110ohm transformer on its spdif out, and it is aes out I've used this on my zaxcom Maxx aes in for return needs 5v power tho, so a possibility for return, am I right in thinking no input limiters but is there out put limiters? and is the big dynamic range is only for analogue in? I am assuming but is there any limiters on the aes inputs?..I was hoping the rx4+ would possibly replace my Maxx..thanks..richard

​Ok, so the other (8) AES I/Ps don't have ASRCs? If not, it looses more than just 1 of 9 identical AES I/Ps when the TA3 is used for an output? EG it looses the ability to plug in a QRX directly?

Yes,  but according to Rado the other AES inputs do have src, too. Except for those on the XLR inputs, which makes very litte sense to me. That means you could only input a clocked signal here, and something like the QRX or the SuperCMIT would be confined to the D-Sub. Which is where the AD8 would connect to, so you couldn't use the AD8 and the SuperCMIT at the same time. If it's true

Edited by Constantin

Yes,  but according to Rado the other AES inputs do have src, too. Except for those on the XLR inputs, which makes very litte sense to me. That means you could only input a clocked signal here, and something like the QRX or the SuperCMIT would be confined to the D-Sub. Which is where the AD8 would connect to, so you couldn't use the AD8 and the SuperCMIT at the same time. If it's true

AES in 1-8  are switched between the XLRs and the accessory port, it's a case that there's a switch between the ADC and AES receivers. The sample rate converters would be on the receivers so would work for either (and are required for AES42). Power supply for AES42 just runs through the XLRs. They're switchable in pairs. The now switchable aux AES has another 2 channels of AES receivers too (also with SRC) so it's possible to run 10 channels in over AES3.

Another way of connecting the AD8 could be over the RJ45 connection, with just the data connection over the accessory port.

if you check the website there's now an updated simplified block diagram

Edited by Richard Thomas
typo

For return on aes in you can use a cheap analogue to spdif converter and put a 75ohm to 110ohm transformer on its spdif out, and it is aes out I've used this on my zaxcom Maxx aes in for return needs 5v power tho, so a possibility for return, am I right in thinking no input limiters but is there out put limiters? and is the big dynamic range is only for analogue in? I am assuming but is there any limiters on the aes inputs?..I was hoping the rx4+ would possibly replace my Maxx..thanks..richard

Dynamic range of AES in will be dependent on the ADC, if gain's overcooked going in it will have distorted at conversion so I don't see a point in a limiter for AES ins. There's no analogue limiter circuit in the machine, I'd expect them to do a software output limiter at least, though.  Will check

Edited by Richard Thomas

​@Erkal

​Yes, which does not say much regarding performance. I believe the X3 can run only for a couple of hours with 2 batteries.

The battery is a small one: half size. I wish it was a big one.

It might be enough for the recorder with a couple of mics for a good amount of time, but definitely not for an entire bag that has a few wires and IFB, TC, etc. 

Either way I really hope it has seamless switching capabilities like the 788T, where it can switch between internal and external power when either is being replaced, even while recording. If not then please please add this to the list!

i think the battery is perfect for what i imagine it was intended for: giving someone with a light bag enough runtime. by the time you've added an umbilical or a wireless hop the extra weight of an external battery is a smaller percentage increase (than it would have been otherwise), and you'll probably need the extra WHs anyway. My fantasy (i don't know why) is the recorder gets a multipin added to the battery bay and sonosax makes a sledge the shape of the battery which slots in and connects to multipin when op needs more O/P (and return) options - but that's not going to happen and their improvements are probably enough to make the difference. Any idea where the optional XLR5 is going?

i think the battery is perfect for what i imagine it was intended for: giving someone with a light bag enough runtime. by the time you've added an umbilical or a wireless hop the extra weight of an external battery is a smaller percentage increase (than it would have been otherwise), and you'll probably need the extra WHs anyway. My fantasy (i don't know why) is the recorder gets a multipin added to the battery bay and sonosax makes a sledge the shape of the battery which slots in and connects to multipin when op needs more O/P (and return) options - but that's not going to happen and their improvements are probably enough to make the difference. Any idea where the optional XLR5 is going?

​The SM Bus showed 6 hours with the smaller battery.

But I bet not enough to power wireless.

http://www.sonosax.ch/recorders/sx-r4p/SX-R4+%20%28Simplified%20Blockdiagram%29.pdf

I was under the impression the XLR5 would be an alternative to the RJ45 connector.  I reckon there's a connector that'd do both jobs, neutrik's new XLR10 which is designed to work as an RJ45 alternative but they'd need to put a DAC (and preferably an ADC for return) on that option board along with the dante/AVB interface.  Can't find any links to it anywhere, I've only been told about it from a neutrik rep after asking about another connector and they offered it as a better solution, was shown at pro light and sound this year,

​The SM Bus showed 6 hours with the smaller battery.

But I bet not enough to power wireless.

​You could put the 98Whr battery in the slot, it'd just stick out and not look too pretty.  I get about 8hrs off a 48Whr battery with the SX-R4 on its own, expect this to draw a bit more power, though

AES in 1-8  are switched between the XLRs and the accessory port, it's a case that there's a switch between the ADC and AES receivers. The sample rate converters would be on the receivers so would work for either (and are required for AES42). Power supply for AES42 just runs through the XLRs. They're switchable in pairs. The now switchable aux AES has another 2 channels of AES receivers too (also with SRC) so it's possible to run 10 channels in over AES3.

Another way of connecting the AD8 could be over the RJ45 connection, with just the data connection over the accessory port.

if you check the website there's now an updated simplified block diagram

​I have to say 10 AES input device that has the size of a Zaxcom Maxx is very attractive.

I was asking Zaxcom before to custom make me a maxx with no analog but 8 AES in/out instead.