Sonosax SX-R4+

pvanstry

I'll try to get more infos from François Musy as it appears he told this to Jacques after some tests he did with the R4+.

Obviously some translation issues here. Monsigneur Musy is a veteran sound mixer (he has been around since 1980s and has worked with JLG), so he definitely must have said something that makes sense when translated well.  

Obviously some translation issues here. Monsigneur Musy is a veteran sound mixer (he has been around since 1980s and has worked with JLG), so he definitely must have said something that makes sense when translated well.  

well, the above totally makes sense to me....

if sound is converted linearly by an ADC and then mapped linearly to a file, the top 6db will have *a lot* more values (or resolution) in it then the bottom 6db.

lets take an 8bit ACD and file as example, with a signal of 48db coming in:

the top 6db of that file would have 7bit, or half (128) of the total available values (8bit = 256), while the bottom 6db would only have 1bit, or 2 values.

now if the file would be log encoded then this would change, but since i believe all common ADC circuits operate on a linear level that only would help if you had an ADC with very very high bit depth (and virtually no noise).

at least that's the way it is with digital image sensors, so it seems reasonable for digital sound too (unless somebody invented a logarithmic microphone  : )

chris

Having a wonder about this box as potential additional outputs for comms with the dante option.  There's GPIO control (and quite a lot of DSP control options in there) so you could potentially run switch(es) to engage comms to mix with outputs.  It seems to be small and it can be powered from PoE

http://www.stagetec.com.au/dio

Don't know about price point yet
Delec also do the same thing

Edited by Richard Thomas

Having a wonder about this box as potential additional outputs for comms with the dante option.  There's GPIO control (and quite a lot of DSP control options in there) so you could potentially run switch(es) to engage comms to mix with outputs.  It seems to be small and it can be powered from PoE

Actually it won't mix in the box, so no good for comms- was worth a go.  The bigger Delec NIO 204 will, though

Or a cheap and dirty solution offered to me by Paul Paragon for additional outputs on a Cantar X1 / X2, would be to connect an AES3 output from the Sonosax through a Neutrix NADITBNC-FX  (http://www.thomann.de/gb/neutrik_naditbncfx_aesebu_bncadapter.htm) transformer so AES is converted to SPDIF, and then for monitoring feeds, comms etc you could use a Lindy DA converter http://www.lindy.co.uk/audio-video-c2/converters-scalers-c105/audio-spdif-analogue-dacs-c106/spdif-dac-pro-with-phono-outputs-p7011 or others on Amazon / eBay for £12. I am not suggesting it is the highest fidelity but has its uses.

Tim

Screen Shot 2015-07-22 at 20.55.02.pdf

Screen Shot 2015-07-22 at 20.54.36.pdf

Screen Shot 2015-07-22 at 18.56.23.pdf

I'd love to hear back from some of the testers. My big question and will dictate whether buying is an option is if the 6 pots Inc 5/6 line inputs can work as faders to a stereo Mix bus and not just as level controlls and if all pots are closed  iso tracks still recording prefader trim, I still have a feeling specifically 5/6 pots are only level controls hoping I'm wrong..also be great if all analogue inputs had facility to add delay to input ..didn't put a deposit down because I'm still not sure if the unit on its own will act like a regular mixer ie pots acting as faders....Richard

As far as the block diagram goes 5+6 are analogue pots on the inputs so unless it's been changed hardware-wise they won't work as faders while still being able to record isos on those channels.

I've told Sonosax it's really important for me (and a number of other mixers) to be able to make fader adjustments to the mix using the 4 digital controllers on the front (and this is how I'd mainly like to use the machine). 

Are any of the sonosax beta testers here?

• 1 month later...