Sonosax SX-R4+

pvanstry

I'M LUCKY :)

I was amazed - The recorder left Swizerland on Monday and the bag came from Trew - also on shipped on Monday with UPS.

This is a big thing for me :)

"So please tell - can you do a mix on the faders ? "

It is in the "not yet implemented list"

Edited by StefB

Rado

I Emailed Pierre about the covers. They were not happy with the fit of the ones they had made and are re-doing them, and will send them out as soon as possible.

Not a big deal for me - I will make a neat gaffer tape flap in the meantime.

Horrible place for push and pop out sd cards...Even gaftape would not help...

Edited by RadoStefanov

The RJ45/XLR5 output options aren't ready yet either, so I think I'll be using it with the SX-M32 in the interim 

Thanks also Richard - when these things are implemented I will make the move . At the moment it's not offering me a great deal over my current set up and the sort of work I generally do which is commercials/corporate and not a lot of tracks  - usually 3 or 4 and mix track. On the cart its SXS8 into SXR4 and in the bag if more than two tracks its SXPR(modded) into SXR4. 

Lisala 

The important thing for me is to know how  and what are the mixing capacity on the output side.  Mainly  what Harvey output assignment choice one might have.  Can you assign a single track or a single input to a specific physical output.  Does it have internal auxiliary mix capacity that can be assigned to a physical I'll put other than the left and right mix   Or can it work as a matrix basically giving you access to assign any tracks or any input to any physical output  

For me it is very important to be able to create a left and right mix that I can physically get out of the machine thru connectors to something else and also at the same time create one or two auxiliry mix  for general IFB and boom operator 

For me it is very important to be able to create a left and right mix that I can physically get out of the machine thru connectors to something else and also at the same time create one or two auxiliry mix  for general IFB and boom operator 

The Lack of Com Button will make it difficult to use with the linear fader controller.

I've had a bit of feedback from Pierre regarding software updates, v1.3 is due in around a week's time with bug fixes and some additional features, while the next software update will introduce prefade ISO recording and fader assignment around 3-4weeks after that.

The routing to the outputs is similar to the sx-r4 in that there's matrix assignment of channels to tracks and pairs of tracks can be assigned to outputs. This sometimes means you have to have tracks in a different order to what is ideal, though. It should be ok with a mono mix and boom on ch2, though

I've got a couple of plans for the comms button, one is using GPIO on an external Dante box when the Dante option is available, the other is to use a spare mic channel with an inline switch

August 31th, 2015

Thank you very much for the SONOSAX staff and our Beta testers!

Just the nice combination to achieve the best portable recorder ever made!

Jack

20150831_SX-R4+_APERO_BETA_TEST.jpg

....shipping of the first series units

20150831_SHIP_UPS.jpg

Marc Von Stuerler with a nice light and complete equipment, thank you Marc for using SONOSAX SX-R4+!

Jack

20150831_MARC_SX-R4+_BETA_TESTER.jpg

It is my understanding there is a possibility that the method by which Sonosax achieved the reported extended dynamic range on the inputs infringes on the Zaxcom patent for NeverClip. Sonosax was given the opportunity to demonstrate the way in which it is achieving this, to demonstrate that it was not, in fact, infringing on existing patented technology, or it was. Sonosax declined and opted instead, it seems, to not market the recorder in the US. I believe as well that Zaxcom offered to license NeverClip to Sonosax for use in their recorders if it were to be determined they were using patented technology. There are many ways that have been used over the years to extend the dynamic range of an input signal and some of those methods have been patented in the past.  The only current patent I am aware of for this extended dynamic range in this application is a Zaxcom patent --- if Sonosax is utilizing that patented method, this is not allowed and a licensing agreement should have been worked out if Sonosax wants to sell in the US.

Wow, really?  How could Zax get that far in R+D and not realize they might have trouble with patent laws in their biggest market?  Does Zax have this same technology patented elsewhere--like Europe?  Too bad, looks like a nice machine.

p

I think you mean "How could Sonosax get that far in R&D". I think they might have given it some though during development but possibly they never even did any sort of patent search. The Zaxcom patent is only in the US. I think you are incorrect, Philip, in saying that the US is their biggest market. I don't think this has ever been the case (based on the relatively small number of Sonosax recorders in use in the US). If it were Sonosax's biggest market and they did suspect (or did not know) that there was a possible patent infringement, it seems unlikely they would abandon the US market so easily. All they would have had to do is submit the technology they are using to a review board who would make a determination. If there is no infringement they would be free to market worldwide. If the technology they are using does infringe, they could make a licensing deal with Zaxcom for sale in the US. 

Hasn't RME been using a similar method on the UFX since 2011?

We have no way of knowing what RME is doing but there is no mention in the specs for the UFX regarding the analog inputs except for this: "The balanced analog inputs are based on RME's low-latency converter design from the high-end converter ADI-8 QS. The DA section is based on RME's M-series. Both designs guarantee excellent S/N and THD specs across a wide analog level range." The dynamic range is stated as 110 db, not a particularly outstanding number. Additionally, when you say "Hasn't RME been using a similar method" you imply that you know what Zaxcom and both RME and Sonosax are doing with their A to D converters. I don't think we are in a position to determine these things. We can read the Zaxcom patent which clearly states what processes and procedures Zaxcom has employed and has been granted a patent. I am assuming Sonosax has read this and their decision was to not market to the US. 

Edited by Jeff Wexler

I did quite a long interview with Pierre Blanc this morning at IBC. It will go up tomorrow I suspect on IPS TV - see here www.ips.org.uk

It looks like a really interesting machine, and I was properly surprised at how much they have managed to pack into a tiny box.

The bif=g surprise for me was the wifi module, which will allow you to wifi in to the machine from any wifi connected device, and then get into the setup etc... using a web browser (i.e. no app required). This is very cool indeed.

More news later - watch this space.......

sb