Sonosax SX-R4+

pvanstry

From what I can gather, this is exactly the purpose of this connector. 8 pins for Ethernet data (Ravenna, Dante, AVB etc) plus 2 big pins for DC power up to 50v. 

Ravenna and Dante can pass control data over the same ip network as the audio. 

I was thinking of AES3 over the accessory connector  (AES3 works surprisingly well over cat5).  The spec for both does say they'll run PoE over the RJ45 port too, though.  May not even need the additional pins with the current required

Any picture with R4+ and K-TEK Junior Bag?

Here's another- I've also bought a military style molle pouch which can attach to the front for tx/mic storage.  Wireless cam link and IFB TX are in left pocket, TCS TX in right.

NB it's possible to run over 6 channels of wireless in, but you run out of faders without the (yet to be available) control surface  

12248740_10153075381706782_2073650701_n.jpg

Edited by Richard Thomas

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Patrick Tresch said:

Hello,

Here a picture of the R4+ with the bigger external Wifi antenna option.

SX_R4plus_antenne_NoirDSC0449_zpsaw5ootq

What is the advantage of having an antenna vs. the normal system? 

That is a very bad choice for an antenna and antenna placement btw. Those antennas snap pretty quickly and its placed right in the work area. 

Hello Erkal,

I hope Pierre or Jacques will chim in for the fonctionnalities. I understood that this is an option for some specific applications. I think you can change the type of the whip if you think it will brake (I'm not shure about what type of SMA antenna). On the 3/4 picture you can't see it but the connector is quite far away from any knobs. 

1373912681000_823684.jpg

38 minutes ago, Patrick Tresch said:

Hello Erkal,

I hope Pierre or Jacques will chim in for the fonctionnalities. I understood that this is an option for some specific applications. I think you can change the type of the whip if you think it will brake (I'm not shure about what type of SMA antenna). On the 3/4 picture you can't see it but the connector is quite far away from any knobs. 

1373912681000_823684.jpg

Hi Patrick, 

Thank you, that is definitely a better option obviously but still curious about the idea behind adding an antenna now since no antenna works anyway? New features of some sort maybe ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I have been using my deva 5.8 pre-amps on set the last couple of years, but sometimes got annoyed by pushing the self-noise up with silent dialogue-scenes.

Using the mix-8/ loving the fact of unplugging 1 cable when having to go in the bag and using the zaxcom wireless, i thought about buying external pre-amps going digital into the deva. (avoiding a big mixer-table,lots of cables)

I bougth a sonosax sx-r4+ one month ago, loving the workflow of the machine, but gave it back to the dealer after 1 day since it gave much more self-noise then the deva itself.

My dealer made tests comparing to a SD744 and came to the same conclusion. Communicated these results to sonosax-suisse whom had comments about how these tests were made, but at the end confirmed that these are normal sx-R4+ results.

Anyone having the same experiences with the noise-level of this machine? (heard it are other pre-amps than the big sonosax-tables)

Anyone other advice on 4 good preamps? (my kind dealer probably wants to retake the sonosax sx-R4+ since it totally lost his purpose for me)

(this one day using the sonosax on set i got les noise on my zaxcom-sanken-lavs then the sonosax-mkh50-boom 20cm's above the talent's head)

cant believe the sonosax-response...

greetings from belgium

arne

On 13 January 2016 at 7:15 PM, Arn said:

Hi everyone,

I have been using my deva 5.8 pre-amps on set the last couple of years, but sometimes got annoyed by pushing the self-noise up with silent dialogue-scenes.

Using the mix-8/ loving the fact of unplugging 1 cable when having to go in the bag and using the zaxcom wireless, i thought about buying external pre-amps going digital into the deva. (avoiding a big mixer-table,lots of cables)

I bougth a sonosax sx-r4+ one month ago, loving the workflow of the machine, but gave it back to the dealer after 1 day since it gave much more self-noise then the deva itself.

My dealer made tests comparing to a SD744 and came to the same conclusion. Communicated these results to sonosax-suisse whom had comments about how these tests were made, but at the end confirmed that these are normal sx-R4+ results.

Anyone having the same experiences with the noise-level of this machine? (heard it are other pre-amps than the big sonosax-tables)

Anyone other advice on 4 good preamps? (my kind dealer probably wants to retake the sonosax sx-R4+ since it totally lost his purpose for me)

(this one day using the sonosax on set i got les noise on my zaxcom-sanken-lavs then the sonosax-mkh50-boom 20cm's above the talent's head)

greetings from belgium

arne

I've found my machine very quiet (mainly used with Sennheiser 8000) both out of the headphone amp and the rushes played back in a DAW

'Out of the box' mine had all channels being routed to headphones. I did have one take more recently thinking "this is really noisy" and it was my monitoring settings as there was an unplugged XLR input with the fader open. May have been either that or the routings?

On 1/13/2016 at 9:15 PM, Arn said:

Hi everyone,

greetings from belgium

arne

Would your dealer be up for reselling it as b-stock?