Sonosax SX-R4+

pvanstry

On 10/06/2017 at 8:13 AM, JAX said:

SONOSAX is pleased to announce that SX-R4+ firmware version 3.0 is now available for download. Due to the number if new figures and improvements, the new version is named V3.0.

The full changelog and the update file can be found on the SX-R4+ page (https://www.sonosax.ch/product/sx-r4p).

R4+AD8+.jpg

Hello

great great news. 'bravo !'

I have a question : the SD on the sonosax are in UDF, and my MAC don't want to write on it
Is there any simple way to do it or do i need to use a PC ?

thank you
davemars

Hello callou

Thanks for your answer.
For the audio files it's ok,
but my problem is with the firmware that we have to put in the SD.
I hoped for simple soft to do it easely.
i can not find solution with mac, i'll ask to a frend with a PC,
but the question still open

davemars (french)

Hi DaveMars

Startup the Sonosax while holding down the headphone level/input nob

You will get to the service menu (which you will also use for upgrade of firmware)

Format the card from this menu and then slot it in the mac - and add bin file for upgrade of firmware

Transfer card back to Sonosax and do upgrade of firmware

When done restart - and remember to format your card again before recording!

Cheers

stef

• 1 month later...
49 minutes ago, Patrick Tresch said:

Hello,

Some news for the Sonosax R4+ users :

SX-AD8+ AVB

SD cards cover finally available for the SX-R4+

Mechanically connect your SX-RC8+ or SX-AD8+ to your SX-R4+

https://www.sonosax.ch/sononews-august-2017/

Worst place for the SD card and one of the main reason why I did not buy one.  I new side location would make a lot more scenes.

4 hours ago, Patrick Tresch said:

I think it's a non issue. Never heard of any problem with that.

I agree Patrick, an absolute non-issue, but to each their own. I always hated the media top-load on my Nagra .... but the Nagra still works and the F1 doesn't - damn, I can't make that joke work, can I? I cannot think of an old side-loader. But it stands, I find front load 'probably' more useful than side, and definitely a (little bit) more than than back, or bottom ... or even top.

Curious how folks might like the fader/input module? Personally I would have preferred a smaller (less high, but deeper) footprint and more in/out/tb function. But that's not my own job, needs etc so doesn't affect me. The R4+ and AD8+ combination as it stands remains my current wish list favourite but I'm wondering of simple alternatives. I'm going to chuck a new module idea in there (for folks like me with external analogue mic preamps wanting to gain access to the extra channels via aes in without compromising the Sonosax ADC). How about, say, a four and an eight channel line level ADC unit without the preamps, or a 4mic + 4 mic/line version?

I know this is asking for a lot - and am only thinking of it if it MIGHT be of any interest to other R4+ users ... And if it were relatively simple to provide such (reduced) options in the same 'box' to make it economically not ridiculous. There are easy ways around gaining access to the extra tracks in sync, (including some cheap), but not taking advantage of the quality ADC. Even strapping two R4+s together give 8 preamps and 4 line ins to one recording unit, which I have considered as an alternative to the AD8+. Just considering openly the possibilities, the needs of R4+ owners and AD8+ potential users, and crucially, the financial logistics of bringing out such 'reduced function' models. What's also obvious is that the AD8+ is not going to be a 'production sound' product so few of its potential users are going to be here on JWS, but I'm one of them so I will ask here anyway. Interested in whatever anyone might have to say.

Jez

I have been thinking along similar lines. I would like a half height unit like the ad8 but with only 4 faders and 4 mic amps, so like an ad4. I would also like 4 line inputs and 4 outputs on the same unit and a talkback mic as with the 8 fader only unit. I am waiting to see if sonosax will implement the ethernet port on the SXR4+ . If they do then i would not want to be in the position to have to choose between either the output expander or a dante etc/ethernet port. I can see the possibility of using the SXR4+ as afront end for a computer great for offloading rushes to the editor on set and also to be able to do multitracking playback. Obviously i would still need the extra outputs for all round general use. I still use analogue radio mics and an analogue sxs8 mixer. My ideal is to use all these with the high headroom sonosax AD converters. 

My preferred solution is one SX 42 with 4 A/D 's on direct outputs.

Another SX 42 with the same configuration is already in place for a complete 8 digital solos and 4 analog mix out's . Sounds great with real analogue limiting. But weights an extra 2 kilos per unit- but they are really rugged.

As a SX-R4+ & AD-8 user: just love it. Radio Stefanov, don't really know how it works, or you don't have one in your hands, other wise don't say things like that.

SD slot: Easy acces to sd, and always see led indicator,  ,blink when standby or fixe when record. I find it usefull.

Things i miss in the SX-R4+:

Fader control surface 16 fader.

Keyboard for notes.

Talkback section.

16 track horizontal view.

File tag with scene, shot, take, insted a file number.

15028808544041851759351.jpg

2 hours ago, AlbertoGarciaAltez said:

As a SX-R4+ & AD-8 user: just love it. Radio Stefanov, don't really know how it works, or you don't have one in your hands, other wise don't say things like that.

SD slot: Easy acces to sd, and always see led indicator,  ,blink when standby or fixe when record. I find it usefull.

Things i miss in the SX-R4+:

Fader control surface 16 fader.

Keyboard for notes.

Talkback section.

16 track horizontal view.

File tag with scene, shot, take, insted a file number.

15028808544041851759351.jpg

I did have one in my hands for a bit. Maybe it is ok for a mirror card but I want my primary card inside the recorder behind a metal door guarded by mini pitbulls. (:

50 minutes ago, RadoStefanov said:

I did have one in my hands for a bit. Maybe it is ok for a mirror card but I want my primary card inside the recorder behind a metal door guarded by mini pitbulls. (:

Hey Rado, ha ha ... well the original Cantar X had the primary media locked in a metal room and guarded by two 'prison officers' (in British slang) IIRC. Problem was behind this security the primary media itself was a poxy FireWire drive - child of the times, admittedly, but I always felt the weakest link in an otherwise superb machine (and one of my all time favourite designs, holding company well with Nagras III, IV-S, Crevette, etc). Also, I could have done with quicker access/swapping if weatherproofing could be maintained, so maybe this is an 'agree to disagree' point after all?

Alberto, good to have you on the group and thanks for the picture. May I ask, presuming you're going through the desk into the R4+\AD8, are you utilising the mic pres on the latter units or just going line level into the (up to) 14 inputs from the desk and using just the ADC of the recorder combo?

Cheers,

Jez

Hello, thanks!

I had a Cantar x2 , but when i was upgrade to x3, i didn't like it. I think it's overprice, here in Spain a normal produccion pays for gear about 900€ weekly, the whole gear(mics, radiomics, ifb, tc lockits.........) . The Digital imputs in the R4+/AD8,  the micpre, limiter, the size, weight, convince me more. 

I started with the SX-S: Mix to line inputs5 / 6 and the direct outputs to the line level R4+,  the extra radios to the line level recorder inputs. Now all the micros directly to the recorder inputs, mic input for boom, line level for radios. Radios are analog ,when i have digital ones then will going trhough Aes inputs.

Micpres are more noisless, than the SX-S, but same warm, and sound.The limiter is smother, and more natural than the SX-S.

Thanks!! Sorry for my English...

Hi Alberto

Thanks for explaining your setup. I also have an SXS8 and and do intend to have a similar setup with the SXR4+(still using SXR4 atm).

Is the limiter you mention being "smoother, and more natural" the output limiter on the SXR4+ ?

One more question how do you find the mic pre on the SXR4+ compared to the Cantar X3 ?

Thanks for your insight. Regards 

The mix limiter on th SX-R4+

I didn't use the Cantar x3. But when i tried at the spanish dealer, i found mic pres exactly the same as Cantar x2.

The big diference , for me:

Dynamic range, much more SX-R4+ than X3.

SX-R4+ little bit brigthnees, Cantar its a little dark,for me.

Both are very good, the best ones.

Thanks

Hi Alberto,

Thanks again. I am a Sonosax man for film sound recording, i used a Cantar X2 a long time ago and it sounded very good but i prefer the Sonosax. Maybe because I am so used to it and how it behaves. All subtle differences but i do want very good mic pre's because i am listening all day and i find the really good mic amps make my day less fatiguing which also means i make better decisions.

Thank you again for the reply. Lisala ( soon to be SXR4+ owner )

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 20 October 2017 at 7:20 AM, JAX said:

Didn't see the option card- would this give additional analogue inputs alongside the 4 XLR inputs or would they be switched? I know a few people interested in the R4+ but would need additional analogue inputs and the AD8+ is more than they need

21 hours ago, JAX said:

Hello,

The 12 PIN optional connector for AMBEO take the place of the option card.

If you want the option card and the AMBEO, you have to use the 12PIN to 4 XLR adapter deliver with the AMBEO microphone.

Thank you Jacques,

I was wondering if it was possible to use the ambeo option card and the XLR microphone inputs at the same time, and if other analogue sources could be sent to the ambeo connector?