Sonosax SX-R4+

pvanstry

I am requesting that these discussions and comments regarding patents, innovaton and technology be moved to another topic thread. I feel it is derailing and distracting from this otherwise very good topic thread: Sonosax SX-R4+. Sonosax is an amazing company that has produced over the years some of the finest gear for our production use --- I hate to see these discussions, filled with speculation and mis-information, detracting from discussion of this newest offering from Sonosax. The only thing we know for sure, at this time, is that it will not be sold in the US --- that should not deter our interest in this machine nor should it deter Sonosax and its potential customers from discussing it in this topic thread.

Discussion of these sorts could continue HERE if anyone wishes to.

Edited by Jeff Wexler

I did quite a long interview with Pierre Blanc this morning at IBC. It will go up tomorrow I suspect on IPS TV - see here www.ips.org.uk

It looks like a really interesting machine, and I was properly surprised at how much they have managed to pack into a tiny box.

The bif=g surprise for me was the wifi module, which will allow you to wifi in to the machine from any wifi connected device, and then get into the setup etc... using a web browser (i.e. no app required). This is very cool indeed.

More news later - watch this space.......

sb

Excellent, I've got mine up and running and the wifi seems to work (I could only get it to work with my phone/tablet having the r4+ joining the phone's network, needed to be set up on the computer for some reason)

I also had the ktek junior bag arrive today, which seems to be a really nice fit- except the velcro strap bits that keep the recorder in place are a bit wide for the holes on any of the Sonosax machines

image.jpg

Hello Richard,

Could you make other fotos of your bag to show the recievers and the foot print? Thanks

Pat

Here's another- I'm still trying to optimise the setup a bit (will probably have 2 RX most of the time).

There's a space in the bottom for an np1 battery- I'll probably keep a DAC there to send to camera when cabled.

image.jpg

Great! Thanks for the picture!

Do you power something with the Hirose power out from the SX-R4+?

yes, the audio limited RF DA which runs the radio receivers. It's all running off the internal battery.

I have come across an issue with the batteries though, the tabs fall off the inspired energy/RRC batteries easily and I made new tabs from tape, however the machine is machined so precisely that I can't get the batteries with the tape tabs in and I'm worried if I use one without one I'll never get it out again

yes, the audio limited RF DA which runs the radio receivers. It's all running off the internal battery.

I have come across an issue with the batteries though, the tabs fall off the inspired energy/RRC batteries easily and I made new tabs from tape, however the machine is machined so precisely that I can't get the batteries with the tape tabs in and I'm worried if I use one without one I'll never get it out again

Richard,

I do the same with my batteries.

How long does your bag runs for?

Also check out the new small battery that is coming out soon from inspired energy. ZD25

Edited by RadoStefanov

The machine says it'll run for 8hours with phantom off. The bag will run for about 4 1/2 hours with phantom on ch1 and 2 receivers and the rf da on. As it uses the same smbus system as audioroot, you get very accurate readings of power draw and time left on the batteries

Just had it out on an easy corporate job today, it's a pleasure to use with the touchscreen.

Also, although all the inputs are paired in the routing screens for outputs, you can route any channel, or combination of channels to any output and even run m/s decoding on them (only in pairs, though).

Gain ranges of the 4 encoders of the front can be customised

The machine says it'll run for 8hours with phantom off. The bag will run for about 4 1/2 hours with phantom on ch1 and 2 receivers and the rf da on. As it uses the same smbus system as audioroot, you get very accurate readings of power draw and time left on the batteries

Just had it out on an easy corporate job today, it's a pleasure to use with the touchscreen.

Also, although all the inputs are paired in the routing screens for outputs, you can route any channel, or combination of channels to any output and even run m/s decoding on them (only in pairs, though).

Gain ranges of the 4 encoders of the front can be customised

Wow,

I get 4.30-5 hours with the 100W battery powering my OneUnit Nomod - Nomad, 3 qrx200 and micplexerII.

Excellent, I've got mine up and running and the wifi seems to work (I could only get it to work with my phone/tablet having the r4+ joining the phone's network, needed to be set up on the computer for some reason)

I also had the ktek junior bag arrive today, which seems to be a really nice fit- except the velcro strap bits that keep the recorder in place are a bit wide for the holes on any of the Sonosax machines

image.jpg

Hi Richard. You can trim the sides of the velcro straps down to fit in the slots if you still need to use them. That's what one other customer told me he did. 

Its a long story, but since the Sonosax video was shot in Amsterdam...... I am now on holiday in the USA, and for some reason unbeknown to me... I have the Sonosax B roll file with me in a cabin in Calistoga, and the editor and the A roll are in London... My internet connection in this cabin is as flakey as you could ever get, so - .....

There will be a new version of the Sonosax video (including closer shots and cut aways) just as soon as I can get the B roll to the editor!!!!!

Kindest regards,

Simon B

Hello All,

Just back from two documentary Filmshooting in the Balkans and Myanmar made with the R4+.

I just want to say Thank you to Sonosax for this very very nice Machine.

Its the beginning, updates are coming, but its already a very promising sound Tool.

Precisely the Sound... so beautifull, also the Ergonomy/Fonctions/Weight/Size.

Like a Dream to work with.

Edited by marcvonstuerler