pvanstry

Sonosax SX-R4+

One of the many strengths of the SX-R4+ is how teeny tiny it is (I'd much rather carry around a SX-R4+ all day every day than a 688, Deva, or an X3), so in a way it is nice they're designing a compact one to match it. (but they've mentioned it could be expandable, for those who want it bigger)

I disagree. If you need tiny you’re not going to be using a control surface. If you need a control surface you’ll most likely have at least 19” width available. 

On the the Facebook post about this there’s a bunch of music people who seem to like the tiny fader panel. I tend to think those folks should just use one of the 1000s of other quality products made for music recording and Sonosax might focus on making a control surface that uses the full potential of the recorder and completes the package for production Sound mixers interested in this recorder. 

Personally I like the super small fader panel.  I have stayed with my mix8 instead of an oasis mainly because of the size.  There are 4 main things I'd love to see on a small control surface.

Transport controlls

Trim knobs

PFL buttons

Slate /com button

1 hour ago, Wandering Ear said:

Personally I like the super small fader panel.  I have stayed with my mix8 instead of an oasis mainly because of the size.  There are 4 main things I'd love to see on a small control surface.

Transport controlls

Trim knobs

PFL buttons

Slate /com button

I'll love a Mix8 with pfl, slate and transport, a add on or new one

A small +- as cantarem, 14/16 faders( less for a 16 track recorder i don't understand) just faders the rotary gain pots, trasnport, solo, metadata etc  are on the SX-R4+ , or through the app, i don't need them duplicated.

And a second with 16 faders, pots, transport, metadata etc. As cantares or zaxcom mix16.

But the importan thing is, now please , please. As we say in Spain:  La necesitamos para ayer  (we need it for yesterday.

Excellent thread. I wonder: is anyone in the USA using the R4+? I'm interested in the recorder but would definitely want one with the full dynamic range. Is is possible to buy abroad and have one shipped stateside? 

15 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

Excellent thread. I wonder: is anyone in the USA using the R4+? I'm interested in the recorder but would definitely want one with the full dynamic range. Is is possible to buy abroad and have one shipped stateside? 

Not sure how many takers stateside and take this with a grain of salt but I did play around with one for a bit at Trew Audio in LA (they have it out on demo).  Definitely built solid, nice size.  A little confusing menu wise in terms of how use to Sound Devices gear I am but I don't think it was overly complex.  Seems to be lighter than a 688 would be but given that it's about the same price point and Sound Devices stateside has impeccable service, I'd lean towards Sound Devices out of practicality reasons.

On 10/12/2018 at 12:15 AM, codyman said:

Not sure how many takers stateside and take this with a grain of salt but I did play around with one for a bit at Trew Audio in LA (they have it out on demo).  Definitely built solid, nice size.  A little confusing menu wise in terms of how use to Sound Devices gear I am but I don't think it was overly complex.  Seems to be lighter than a 688 would be but given that it's about the same price point and Sound Devices stateside has impeccable service, I'd lean towards Sound Devices out of practicality reasons.

Yeah, being a seasoned SD user, the SX-R4+ user interface needed time to get familiar with. During your test, was there a difference observed in the Pre-amps between the 688 and the US version of the SX-R4+ to you?

6 hours ago, Soundmind said:

Yeah, being a seasoned SD user, the SX-R4+ user interface needed time to get familiar with. During your test, was there a difference observed in the Pre-amps between the 688 and the US version of the SX-R4+ to you?

Wasn't able to test the pre's but I'd imagine you couldn't go wrong with either as they are both top notch companies.

i’m in the US and use the sx-r4+. i got it used second hand and its the normal version with the extended dynamic range. i love the size and weight. it seems smaller and lighter than a 633 even with the inspired energy battery installed. the fact that it has a hirose output is super nice. i can rock a small bag (small mindshift rig) with 4 wireless without need for a power distro system, cabling and such. its also super power efficient. 

my main qualms with it are a few things:

1) no slate mic and switch(these features available with the rc8 unit but meh)

2) screen could be brighter. specially under sunny conditions.

3) when using the ad8 or the rc8, the package is really small which is nice—i just havent found a small bag to fit it ergonomically! i have a big orca bag but it seems overkill and leaves a ton of space on the sides lf the recorder setup.

4) i wish faders 5/6 were assignable like 1-4. being able to assign faders like that is super sweet. jumping from ambisonic/stereo to dialogues is quick and easy.

overall the pres and superb. excellent for music and overkill for dialogue. still, the cantar x3 limiters are the best for me up there with the cooper mixer and the neve 33609/2264’s.

for music nothing beats a console though. they just have the full feature sets that location setups dont have for obvious reasons. 

just my 2cents. hope it helps!

20 hours ago, ivanovich said:

2) screen could be brighter. specially under sunny conditions.

Hello Ivanovich, do you use the daylight mode to see your screen (white mode) or the night mode (black)? I was using the black one and also find it to dark.

Thanks for your report.

Patrick

hey patrick,

yeah, i have the daylight/night time switch programmed into a  button on part of the screen screen so i can change it on the fly. but still, its just not bright enough. i got a delkin 2.5inch digital camera collapsible screen hood which works and helps a bunch. its also nice because you can take the hood on and off. works like a charm. screen is definitely not as bright as the x3 screen or the sound devices and zaxcom screens though.

ivan

6 hours ago, ivanovich said:

hey patrick,

yeah, i have the daylight/night time switch programmed into a  button on part of the screen screen so i can change it on the fly. but still, its just not bright enough. i got a delkin 2.5inch digital camera collapsible screen hood which works and helps a bunch. its also nice because you can take the hood on and off. works like a charm. screen is definitely not as bright as the x3 screen or the sound devices and zaxcom screens though.

ivan

I'm the same and find the screen hood really helps, even then I'm struggling to see the screen on a bright summers day at times.