Deva 32

Jeff Wexler

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is nice to read some of the speculation in this thread regarding what we might be working on. The last entirely new concept in recording was the introduction of the DevaII in 1996.  Everything that has come along since has been variations on our hard disk based recording system.

I have said for a long time that all non-linear location sound recording systems are all heavily influenced by the original late-1990s Deva. It's impressive that this many years later, not only is the company doing well, but a lot of those early machines are still in use. 

Curious if it will be the only recorder or a set of recorders to replace all the Deva and Fusion options.

Seems like it. They've discontinued both the Deva and Fusion, and I'm assuming that they will be going away from moving parts altogether and going into flash memory (whether it be SSD, CF, etc).

Ok. Discontinuing the Deva is huge, and scares me. I was one of the poor souls that got totally boned by the Cameo II, and its dependence on the discontinued Motorola board. In other words, everything else worked great, but without that board the whole thing died. I got

Please Glenn, tell me that Zaxcom will continue to support the Deva 5.8 and 16 for at least the next 25 years. Tell me you had the foresight to purchase shitloads of 3rd party irreplaceable parts. If you had purchased say, 200 extra Motorola boards, there'd be leagues of happy Cameo II users instead of former users with bitter holes in our hearts.

Dan Izen

Ok. Discontinuing the Deva is huge, and scares me. I was one of the poor souls that got totally boned by the Cameo II, and its dependence on the discontinued Motorola board. In other words, everything else worked great, but without that board the whole thing died. I got

Please Glenn, tell me that Zaxcom will continue to support the Deva 5.8 and 16 for at least the next 25 years. Tell me you had the foresight to purchase shitloads of 3rd party irreplaceable parts. If you had purchased say, 200 extra Motorola boards, there'd be leagues of happy Cameo II users instead of former users with bitter holes in our hearts.

Dan Izen

From the linked article, 

In other Zaxcom news that may be a bit shocking for some, the Deva 5.8, Deva 16, Fusion, Fusion 12, and Mix-12 all have been officially discontinued. When we asked about future support, Goodsir assured us, “Not to worry, Zaxcom will still be servicing these units for years to come.” 

Service for all Deva 4,5,5.8 and 16 will continue without interruption. With an all new Deva32 coming out it is time for us to move on to a new generation of Deva as the current design was started 14 years ago and we have gone as far as we can with that platform. After a 12 year run It is time for us to move on while supporting our current Deva customer base.

Glenn

Service for all Deva 4,5,5.8 and 16 will continue without interruption. With an all new Deva32 coming out it is time for us to move on to a new generation of Deva as the current design was started 14 years ago and we have gone as far as we can with that platform. After a 12 year run It is time for us to move on while supporting our current Deva customer base.

Glenn

I think a number of people here on this board owe me an apology -including Glenn Sanders. 

I got my ass whipped on this board for saying that the Deva was a dying machine.  I am proved right in just a matter of months.

I think a number of people here on this board owe me an apology -including Glenn Sanders. 

I got my ass whipped on this board for saying that the Deva was a dying machine.  I am proved right in just a matter of months.

Mirror, you are not "owed" anything and there is a big difference between your blasting Zaxcom and the Deva as DEAD, declaring that it is a useless machine that people are barely hanging on to get the job done, and what Glenn Sanders has said about the future of Deva. No one has disputed that the Deva is old technology and what Glenn has said is that there is no way the old platform could support the incredible and innovative features and technology that will be the heart of Deva 32. When talking about the old technology, the big difference between what you had said (and now demanding an apology) and what we said (longtime Deva users who have continued to produce excellent soundtracks with the old technology), is the tone of your comments --- you declared the Deva (and Zaxcom to a degree) to DEAD to the world; Glenn Sanders has merely stated that the old platform will be RETIRED, making room for Deva 32.

Someone seems to be way behind the curve here.  Most of us have known that a new Deva was in the works for quite some time.  It's just that most of us are savvy enough to know that any new introduction doesn't immediately disable our current equipment, it simply offers new options.

Yes, believe it or not, the Deva IV, V, 5.8, & 16 will still be capable of producing production tracks that can contribute to award winning sound tracks far into the future.

Existing Devas aren't dying, they're simply being discontinued -- a rather important distinction for those of us who actually know the value of the technology we use.  The new Devas will undoubtedly contain some forward-thinking gee-whiz features that we'll savor, and the existing Devas will continue to be worthwhile, dependable machines.

Mirror, you are not "owed" anything and there is a big difference between your blasting Zaxcom and the Deva as DEAD, declaring that it is a useless machine that people are barely hanging on to get the job done, and what Glenn Sanders has said about the future of Deva. No one has disputed that the Deva is old technology and what Glenn has said is that there is no way the old platform could support the incredible and innovative features and technology that will be the heart of Deva 32. When talking about the old technology, the big difference between what you had said (and now demanding an apology) and what we said (longtime Deva users who have continued to produce excellent soundtracks with the old technology), is the tone of your comments --- you declared the Deva (and Zaxcom to a degree) to DEAD to the world; Glenn Sanders has merely stated that the old platform will be RETIRED, making room for Deva 32.

I never said it was dead - I said it was dying. That is a big difference.  You took great offense to me even suggesting that and wrote looong posts about how wrong I was.  Even Glen Sanders was "shocked" that someone would say that.

My "tone of my comments" is what you objected about but not the content? That's what you're going with?

At least when I'm wrong I'll admit it.  Whatever. 

It uses a neural interface which hooks into your brain which will provide most of the processing power and DSP

No that is the revolutionary part it requires no connection to the brain and works on telepathy alone.

And it is powered by the muted  screams of producers complaining about your package rental cost.

I see it as a Win WIn...

Dan Izen

Dan, You may be confusing discontinuing the Deva 5.8, Deva 16, and Fusion with the problems of not supporting those products with replacement parts for a respectable amount of time.

Discontinuing those products shouldn't matter to owners, especially since the replacement will produce the same file types (MARF original, mirrored to BWF). Keeping the same file type is a very important point because it means your 4, 5, 5.8, 16, Fusion, Nomad, or MAXX will be viable for a long time to come (as long as 8, 10, or 16 tracks are enough), because post can use those files as easily as the the files from next generation recorders. But Zaxcom keeping on hand a good supply of replacement parts is very important for the sizable investment customers have made for these machines; especially for those purchased more recently. Hopefully enough replacement parts for years to come will be stocked this time to support those who invested in good faith.

Though I love the idea of Dante, and it is exciting to see a lot of manufactures starting to rally around a unified format, Glenn's comments in a post from 2013 points towards him (and therefor Zaxcom) dismissing Dante because it could add future technical issues dealing with network protocols

Hopefully I'll be happily surprised and he has had a change of heart in the past year and a half

There's a big difference between what the proposed standards are, what the hardware can technically support, and what current firmware actually does.  As popular as Dante is, how it has apparently "won the format war" from a percentage standpoint, the argument could be made that market penetration is minuscule and any figures that exist now are irrelevant to the future success of either format, including a "near death AVB" because someone like Avid could come out with a few AVB products (S3L and S3) and some 3rd parities come out with a few cheap well thought out interfaces (MOTU) and the future landscape could be entirely predicated by the actions of the larger mass market than the apparent success of the installed sound and production sound communities that have currently adopted Dante.  It remains to be seen how Dante and AVB in the future either merge or at least support some cross-compatibility, or one absorbs the other.  Anyone still rocking Cobranet?

According to Audinate (Dante developer), Dante will work with AVB, if the AVB group ever finish the standards. Dante is as close to a standard as there is now and for the foreseeable future and it doesn't need special routers and switches on the network.

LEF