Deva 32

Jeff Wexler

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where are Xlr inputs 4,5,12,13? Love the screen printing on the bottom right that says MADE IN USA!

Glenn decided they were not required :-)

I must say... even at $15k, and it being a Zaxcom product, I'm pretty keen.  I doubt I'd use any of the bits. I'm curious to know if it could really run as a stand-alone, without a computer, if it were being used just as a 16 channel board.

The Deva 16 was $15k or $16k IIRC, and the Mix 12 was $5k. This is ballpark the same kind of financial commitment for the flagship Zaxcom product.... And it has a LOT more in it. Zaxcom knows who is a buyer in that price.

True that. Keep in mind that there weren't very many options in a small package at the time the Deva 16 came out, so if you wanted a 9+ track count then you had to pay a premium for it.  That's not true today.

Glenn decided they were not required :-)

I must say... even at $15k, and it being a Zaxcom product, I'm pretty keen.  I doubt I'd use any of the bits. I'm curious to know if it could really run as a stand-alone, without a computer, if it were being used just as a 16 channel board.

The computer is needed to drive the display. If you are using the Deva32 Mixing panel without the recording function (feeding a different recorder like the SD 970) you would still want the computer so that you have access to all the features and functions of the standalone mixer. So, it is standing alone but still needs the mini-computer. It should be noted, however, that if the computer/display should fail while recording, nothing is disrupted in the mixer and it continues to function just as it has before any computer crash.

Maybe a Raspberry PI 2 could make a perfect solution for the need for an external computer. It's low power consumption. 5v DC. And is about the size of a pack of cigarettes. Will run windows. Can do wifi, usb, hdmi..

I bet there's a decent market for a DIY'er to make these as a ready-to-order accessory for the Deva32...I don't do nearly any "cart" work, but I imagine there are a lot of mixers who would want no part of a PC on their cart, but would like that big ol screen...

e.

I bet there's a decent market for a DIY'er to make these as a ready-to-order accessory for the Deva32...I don't do nearly any "cart" work, but I imagine there are a lot of mixers who would want no part of a PC on their cart, but would like that big ol screen...

e.

Only problem is, they might be a bit cost prohibitive at around $45. Then you might have to add a wifi dongel for an additional $8 and other accessories.. The whole thing might end up being around $60 and who can afford that after dropping $20,000 on a new system? :)

Here are the specs.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-2-model-b/

post-3772-0-72883700-1429153446_thumb.jp

An external computer IS needed to run the display (by external we mean a computer that is not inside the mixing panel). What Zaxcom is using now is a very small HP-Stream PC. The software that runs the display and interfacing with the Deva32 mixing panel will run on any Windows computer OR Mac computer so you really have quite a lot of choice. As everyone already knows, I am about as anti-Windows as anyone can be short of a full on fanatic (I'm close) and after sitting in front of Deva32 at NAB I was not really bothered by the PC. I know it's there but everything you see on the screen is is purely Zaxcom (and actually quite familiar to anyone used to seeing and using the Deva interface (but obviously a LOT bigger touchscreen.

It's outside my expertise to even comment or speculate on whether a Windows tablet running Windows 8 would work with Deva32.

Regarding using mixing panel without a display, I think Todd pretty much nailed it: "It will record without a computer, but I'm not sure how much fun it would be" meaning that you would not have access to all the parameters, settings, routing and the extensive metering available without having a display. It does point out, again, that with Deva32 you are NOT making your recording or any of your mixing with the computer --- all of this happens inside the mixing panel.

I'm sure it's packed to the brim on the inside, but was it not considered to have a bare-bones computer built within and have a HDMI/VGA port on the back?

I'm sure it's packed to the brim on the inside, but was it not considered to have a bare-bones computer built within and have a HDMI/VGA port on the back?

Lol. It's Zaxcom. I love that they think of almost everything. This is a truly innovative and unique design that does so very much. I'm sure it will have much success. I'll wait for the Deva32 lite that just records 32 channels in a box without all the cool extra stuff that I personally don't require. If I were starting from scratch with an entirely new cart build, I would jump on it. A built in computer would have been nice with hdmi/dvi output. Who has a VGA monitor anymore?

I could imagine a world where I might be using a digital mixer 10+ years from now.  I cannot imaging using a 10 year old computer, though, good thing that it is not integrated.  I do question why a full blown computer and not just a dedicated web server with the intended functionality accessible from something like an iPad.  I know some people don't like Apple, but really, market share is dominated by iPad, not android.