Deva 32

Jeff Wexler

The Deva 16 was $15k or $16k IIRC, and the Mix 12 was $5k. This is ballpark the same kind of financial commitment for the flagship Zaxcom product.... And it has a LOT more in it. Zaxcom knows who is a buyer in that price.

You can potentially use your Deva 16 (But also an other Deva or a Fusion) both on a cart (with a Mix12, if preferred) or in a bag.

With the Deva32, you have to add the price of a second recorder to the count, because there will be situations in a shooting in which you have to go with a bag kit.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can potentially use your Deva 16 (But also an other Deva or a Fusion) both on a cart (with a Mix12, if preferred) or in a bag.

With the Deva32, you have to add the price of a second recorder to the count, because there will be situations in a shooting in which you have to go with a bag kit.

I doubt anyone in the market for a Deva 32 wouldn't already have at least 2 recorders, either on the cart, as a back-up, on in a lightweight/bag rig.

I don't know about the iPad specifically, but in terms of os android is leading by wide margin, 81% android to 14,8% ios

ok, my US-centricity showing itself here.  I see the figures, with "units shipped"... don't know if that is because android is loaded on other non-phone devices more so than the Apple marketing targets, but just a casual survey of people I know or work with, the iPhone to non-iPhone ratio is somewhere in the 10:1 range.

ok, my US-centricity showing itself here.  I see the figures, with "units shipped"... don't know if that is because android is loaded on other non-phone devices more so than the Apple marketing targets, but just a casual survey of people I know or work with, the iPhone to non-iPhone ratio is somewhere in the 10:1 range.

Yes ios can't be 14.8% I would have thought? Maybe in Asia possibly but certainly not in USA, and probably not in Europe.

Of course, when I look around, everyone seems to be using an Apple device, but then when I take a closer look, there are some other devices too.

So I was referring to worldwide smartphones. Couldn't find a source for the US specifically, but I'd doubt it'd be very different

http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartphone-os-market-share.jsp

Of course, when I look around, everyone seems to be using an Apple device, but then when I take a closer look, there are some other devices too.

So I was referring to worldwide smartphones. Couldn't find a source for the US specifically, but I'd doubt it'd be very different

http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartphone-os-market-share.jsp

Android operating systems outsell iOS in almost all markets except the U.S. where they effectively tie, and Japan.

Of course Android is only the OS and not limited to one phone. In terms of single units the iPhone and iPad has been an extraordinary success worldwide as is easily demonstrated by Apples bank balance.

In television and film I'd say the casual use of Apple devices is proportionally way higher than Android. Because we are all hipsters.

My bank is empty and I am successful unemployment. Both OS are great and manufacturers must be design it for both. End of this story.

Next story is: Price of Deva 32 compared with Cantar X3

I don't think they are comparable products. Deva32 is cart based only, does a ton of things you cannot do with the Cantar. The Cantar X3 will probably be the most rugged, versatile, full featured portable mixer-recorder, but it is not in the same league as the fully integrated production sound recording system that is Deva32. Price? We don't know anything about what the Cantar X3 will cost and pricing on Deva32 is not set yet but will most probably be under 20K.

I have to say that I am not thrilled by the idea of making the main controller of the mixer/recorder ( Computer/ touchscreen ) an AC powered item on my cart personally,  but that might just be me.  I have tried to avoid running larger batteries and inverters out of speed and ease of operation. I guess you could always use a laptop as the controller to avoid downtime. 

I have to say that I am not thrilled by the idea of making the main controller of the mixer/recorder ( Computer/ touchscreen ) an AC powered item on my cart personally, but that might just be me. I have tried to avoid running larger batteries and inverters out of speed and ease of operation. I guess you could always use a laptop as the controller to avoid downtime.

There are options. For example, you can get a DC power mod for a Mac mini, by Gotham Sound. It works great.

10 people are going to buy it at that price.

I don't think the price unreasonable considering all you are getting in the package. I am pretty sure Zaxcom did enough market research when developing their product that they would be able to sell enough units to justify the cost of the R&D and production.

I have to say that I am not thrilled by the idea of making the main controller of the mixer/recorder ( Computer/ touchscreen ) an AC powered item on my cart personally,  but that might just be me.  I have tried to avoid running larger batteries and inverters out of speed and ease of operation. I guess you could always use a laptop as the controller to avoid downtime. 

Everything with Deva32 is native DC power, 9 to 18 volts DC, and it is very low current draw. Because you have the optional choices for the display (monitor) and the computer (which drives the display) you could use items that require mains (AC) power if you want to. A Mac Mini would be nice but you would have to either modify the Mac Mini to run on DC (this is doable but not as easy with the latest Mac Mini) or run a small inverter. If you choose a monitor that is not native DC then you would of course have to have AC and an inverter. Bottom line, AC is not necessary in any way for Deva32.

Simple answer, Vas, is no --- an external computer and some display is needed to make full use of Deva32. The computer, as you probably know, can be a very small box like the HP-Stream (PC) that Deva32 is using now (it's about 4 inches square and an inch and a half high) or a Mac Mini, or something else that might come around in the future from Intel. The display (video monitor) can be just about anything and can be as small as you want (though 10" is probably the bottom limit for sufficient resolution and readability). There was some discussion about using a tablet, one that runs Windows 8 OS with Deva32. If this is possible, it might be the closest you could get to your goal of having just a display (the computer is in the tablet display). We'll have to see what Glenn says about this.

The touch screen part of the Deva 32 and Oasis - can the various 'windows' for each parameter be pulled aound the screen and 'minimised' as on conventional Windows and Mac computers allowing the user to truly customise his or her working 'desktop'?

Glenn mentioned the practicality of trying to put everything on one screen - I'm curious as to whether Zaxcom considered getting the monitor feeds on there as well? A 20 inch screen could be a practical place in which to slot stuff, particularly if a monitor 'window' could be expanded to fill such a large screen if required.