Deva 32

Jeff Wexler

The touch screen part of the Deva 32 and Oasis - can the various 'windows' for each parameter be pulled aound the screen and 'minimised' as on conventional Windows and Mac computers allowing the user to truly customise his or her working 'desktop'?

Glenn mentioned the practicality of trying to put everything on one screen - I'm curious as to whether Zaxcom considered getting the monitor feeds on there as well? A 20 inch screen could be a practical place in which to slot stuff, particularly if a monitor 'window' could be expanded to fill such a large screen if required.

The Deva32 display can be totally customized choosing what is to be displayed, re-sizing and moving the individual windows around to have the screen displaying only what you want it to display. During the development of Deva32 video monitor display (camera feeds) were considered and demonstrated and there may be the possibility of this as an option when Deva32 ships. I'm really not sure whether the idea has been dropped altogether or whether it will be implemented having the camera feeds displayed on the screen.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Glenn,

I am asking here. Can Deva 32 works without PC or MAC necessity, but option to have a display to see parameters, I/O routing, time code etc? Like touchscreens on bigger live mixing consoles..

A Windows Surface Pro tablet would easily meet these requirements I think.

Since your using a computer, any video capture card, like the ones AJA or BlackMagic sell could easily display composite, SDI, or HD-SDI sources, one of the great advantages of utilizing a computer.

This is true, Tom, and exactly what Zaxcom was experimenting with BlackMagic video cards. I don't know if it will make it into the first Deva32 or whether it will be something that can be added as an option. I do know that the Graphical User Interface already supports the displaying of video feeds from a camera source.

• 2 weeks later...

Even if the Deva software didn't account for video feeds, you could easily window the BlackMagic Media Express or other software easily enough.

On the last drama job I was on, the DIT had a feed running to his monitor through a video capture card- although the latency was high enough to be a problem when mixing 

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, of course, so can every Deva, Nomad, etc.. and the newer firmware on the QRX can do 96k.

​Oh Hi Todd,

Never read this response, so sorry for the late reply. For whatever reason, I've been unable to get the 96k to work, Also, the Nomad manual states that "Nomad will accept any unlocked AES signal with a sampling-rate of 44.1 to 96 kHz". As we know, the QRX delivers 32k, or 96k I guess, if you can get it to work.

So, I was just looking for confirmation, which Glenn kindly provided.

• 2 months later...

Oh Hi Todd,

Never read this response, so sorry for the late reply. For whatever reason, I've been unable to get the 96k to work, Also, the Nomad manual states that "Nomad will accept any unlocked AES signal with a sampling-rate of 44.1 to 96 kHz". As we know, the QRX delivers 32k, or 96k I guess, if you can get it to work.

So, I was just looking for confirmation, which Glenn kindly provided.

The 96k was only implemented in some of the newer firmware.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, thope said:

Well you truely can never make everyone happy! Not trying to be difficult here, but I really liked the form factor of the original deva 32! 

The form factor hasn't really changed - the only major difference is instead of the recorder being an internal module the recorder is now a standalone fully functional mixer recorder and can transition from a cart to a bag.

4 hours ago, Izen Ears said:

I love the sound of this!  And that drawing looks very exciting whoo!

I don't know, not sure how a big red thing sticking out of my bag is going to look, and only two knobs?  There looks to be some sort of touchscreen interface... but at least the antennas look like they have a lot of adjustment possibilities and I do believe I spy a playback speaker!!!!

1 hour ago, Tom Visser said:

I don't know, not sure how a big red thing sticking out of my bag is going to look, and only two knobs?  There looks to be some sort of touchscreen interface... but at least the antennas look like they have a lot of adjustment possibilities and I do believe I spy a playback speaker!!!!

It may be available in different colors --- I think they thought RED would get our attention.

I don't think there is a battery slot --- it may be that power will all be external. Rado, are you thinking OneUnit II already? We don't even know what's inside the box yet that you will be able to pull out and get rid of.

1 hour ago, Tom Visser said:

Ho buggah you no can see da kine drawing insai da pitcha, li' dat?  Try wear glasses braddah!

But seriously, I've just had a thought - does this mean one does not need a computer to access all functions?!  Is that the famous Deva touch screen on the comeback?