Equipment hopes for 2015

RPSharman

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You must included this in manual

From the RX-12 manual page 9:

Each module can receive signal on any frequency ranging between 512MHz and 698MHz. To allow for such a wide band operations and limit the stray RF from affecting the performance of the unit the RX12 has a 35MHz tracking front end filter that eliminates unwanted RF from outside of the 35MHz window. That stray RF can desensitize the receivers and result in poor RF performance. When you set the center filter frequency you omit unwanted RF that is outside of your desired operating range.

After deciding on the 35MHz operating range you would set the filter to be in the center of that range. The best performance of the RX-12 will be 17.5MHz above and 17.5MHz below the center filter frequency. Please note that this is a global setting for all modules meaning that that the 35MHz window will be the same for all modules.

Both the individual receivers and the RX12 frame tune the entire range. This eliminates the need for specific hardware that can only work in a single block.

This is not in manual. Glenn said something here.

BTW I'm off topic. Sorry Robert

What I want the most right now is for Sennheiser to bring out a dual channel receiver for 2000 and G3, with true diversity, bag mountable with all the buttons and screen on top.

I mean, it's not even a question about technology, all the other major players have this, but for some reason Senny, just won't budge :P.

My hopes:

1. Some open source community developing a hardware platform for mobile recorders and/or even Rx/Tx, or reverse engeneering existing platforms.

2. More and better boom mounted or integrated user interfaces.

Edit:

3. Recorded files accessible via Ethernet even during take.

Not for 2015 but in a forseable future:

1. Boom internal signalling via visible light (be it an audio signal or remote signals or even duplex)

2. Smartglasses/virtual retina displays for all device displays and camera frame in an augmented reality projection (including eye tracked control for recorder RX/TX)

Sorry, if I derail this thread with scify

Zaxcom ERX3-TCD. Locking mini connector, BNC for TC, but TC also capable via locking mini. Volume variable via front face buttons. Backlit LCD display like blue Casio Indiglo watches or blue Lectro SM series TXs or even Betso SBox style, with 'always on' capability and more durable. More accurate TCXO so I don't have to buy a dedicated non-Zaxnet lock box (much rather use the ERX!). Still, in their current form my ERX2-TCDs are my overall favorite and most useful pieces of gear in my kit. But I think those upgrades are practical, useful and possible. A man can dream.

Another zaxcom suggestion: IFB250

There seems to be two means of communication for zaxcom products, zaxnet via time code connection and serial commands that can be interpreted as zaxnet.

We have the ifb100/200 which can send zaxnet from the deva/fusion/nomad/maxx by timecode but then can't communicate with the rx12 or qrx. Then we have the qifb option that can transmit serial communications.

IFB250 same as the 200 but with serial communication

an updated zaxcom control surface to interface with nomad. 10 faders, rec start/stop, slate/com buttons and pfl. i do realize with deva 32 coming out, that there will probably be an updated control board and it will primarily target that machine. but there are a looooot of nomads in the wild and a lot of users that would still purchase an updated control surface. the nomad makes a fine cart based recorder and the mix 8 is a great addition, but i know some users don't see it being quite enough to justify its purchase and the mix 12 is just a bit too much for smaller cart based setups.

an updated zaxcom control surface to interface with nomad. 10 faders, rec start/stop, slate/com buttons and pfl. i do realize with deva 32 coming out, that there will probably be an updated control board and it will primarily target that machine. but there are a looooot of nomads in the wild and a lot of users that would still purchase an updated control surface. the nomad makes a fine cart based recorder and the mix 8 is a great addition, but i know some users don't see it being quite enough to justify its purchase and the mix 12 is just a bit too much for smaller cart based setups.

Agreed.

+1

Last Sound Devices suggestion from me.

Further integrate Ambient technologies into recorders to use ACN. Be able to wirelessly jam all ACN devices straight from the recorder.

I keep a Lockit box in my bag for this purpose and would love to see it built in to my 633.

+1

I heard so many times from camera assistants: "You have a lockit in your mixer, don't you? Why do we need to give you another one?"

I call your request and raise the anti.

Zaxcom RX12:

12 channels in half of a single rack space with tracking filters and 200MHz operating bandwidth.

Glenn

All in...

You can push all day and the 2-inch receiver module will not fit in a single rackspace (as we discussed at AES). Nice bluff, but I'll take the pot.

All in...

You can push all day and the 2-inch receiver module will not fit in a single rackspace (as we discussed at AES). Nice bluff, but I'll take the pot.

I will certainly agree that a single RU is 1.75" tall and our receiver is 2.00" tall.  This in my opinion is semantical. There are many items on sound carts that are not rack mount and yet they are mounted and function perfectly well. 

Exact rack mounting ability aside i am very proud of RX12 and by volume it is 1/4 the size of other 12 channel solutions. I think the best solution for the production sound mixer is a multi channel receiver that is at home in both a sound bag and on a sound cart. Rack mount does not do that and in my opinion is not a great solution when going from cart to bag as is commonly needed.

You can have the pot but the customers will get the benefit and a big pay day and that good for all. ;-)

Glenn

Been asking for this for...maybe 4 years now. Even offered to design the interface. Now that the mix12 is basically a discontinued device (wait...is it discontinued? Need to look that up) maybe they'll finally make a mix 10.