PD6 with CF card and a partition reader program - it works now!

Daniel Bohm

Hi Everyone!

We began to assemble a program that can read all the partitions on the drive of the old pd6.

It works. Now we have a software that reads all partitions on the internal disk (or memory card) of the pd6.

We want to change the hd to cf or sd card, remove the dvd ram (it's consumption is too much...) and make the pd6 a memory card recorder. The other option is to keep the dvd ram as the second, backup media. 

The partitions size can not be changed (24 minutes of 6 track bwf 24/48 on each 1,4 Gb partition) but you will be able to simply use a memory card in the pd6 and a laptop with the software to read all partitions and files recorded  by the pd6. 

On the recording media (HD, CF, SD, etc.) there can be as many 1,4 Gb partitions as the media's size enables it, no more juggling with the dvd rams... And as we all remember pd6 can easily change between partitions during recording, it just splits the take to two parts in the second (sample) the partition is changing. 

We already have the program that can read all the partitions of the hard drive comes from the pd6 it just needs a user friendly look.

Any suggestions, opinions?

Do we need this?

I am using the SD633 now, but PD6 is too good to put it on the shelf. I am thinking of putting it on my cart again as a backup recorder or use it's preamps for some projects... anyway... it's a nice recorder and with less consumption (without dvd writer, only memory card) it can be good sometimes...

Hi Daniel,

I'd be very interested to hear more about this project. I have two PD6s, one of which is still my primary recorder, the other has a busted DVDRAM drive so only gets used when I need more than 6 preamps. I love the direct outs, switchable power on the AUX I/O, the limiters, hardware switches instead of software etc. The main downside to using this machine is the constant changing and formatting of the discs, so if there's any way to use CF or SD I'd be a very happy man.

Other things to consider:

1. More accurate battery level indicator

2. Firewire recording while recording to disc

3. Bluetooth compatibility for a keyboard (hardware mod via usb port?)

Would love to hear more and help with testing, like I said I've got a spare PD6 gathering dust so can get to work straight away!

Keep in touch and well done!

Sam

The program is for a computer that you use to copy the files coming from the pd6. 

It's possible to replace the dvd ram with a dvd ram emulator but it's too much work to make one and no use because it left us the problem of the 23 minutes limited recording time on a dvd ram disk. 

The only ones who could write a new firmware for the pd6 are the engineers at Fostex. 

I can only hack the machine. The hardware change is to make the hard drive removable or change the hard drive to a removable memory card and leave the dvd ram drive or remove the dvd ram drive (dvd ram eats power... maybe just an on/off switch...).

Once you plugged the internal drive directly into a pc or mac with a special program that we are working on you are able to download all data from it to your computer's hard drive and  you can find the wav files on the partitions and copy them into real useable folders onto any media. This means that now it's two steps. Once you plugged the internal drive into a computer you need to copy everything from it (all data) and second step is to scan for the partitions and the files. That's what we want to make easier in one step. 

I hope that it will be a solution to give a few more years of use to this lovely machine. 

I am thinking of the way how it should work. Only a software for mac or pc, or a hardware like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/NexToDi-ND2730-backup-official-reseller/dp/B005D7J0NS 

Should we just sell the software/hardware or should we also offer to make the modification on the pd6 to make it's hard drive removable?

I don't know if anyone would use this and would pay for this except me? It's a hard question 'cos it's so much work to make it a pro solution.

• 8 months later...

Hi guys! 

I'm new by here. I became owner of old PD-6 w/o hard disk.

And I'm really interested in replacing optical RAM drive with CF or some other media.

The last posted message here was on 

Is there any news about software and harware changes announce by Daniel Bohm?

Please let me know if you something about replacing original DVD-RAM with other media.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 9/25/2018 at 7:06 AM, alidav said:

I know that this is a very old thread, but I was curious if any update came lately. I have a pd6 in a case with not even the drive inside but this kind of upgrade would be great. As spare machine it would have a new life

As much as I liked the machines during their time, at this point, I would advise getting any number of newer more modern machines on the market for reasonable amounts of money to keep as a back up..

Just saying..

4 hours ago, afewmoreyears said:

As much as I liked the machines during their time, at this point, I would advise getting any number of newer more modern machines on the market for reasonable amounts of money to keep as a back up..

Just saying..

Can't disagree - but since the PD and along the same lines the HHB 2000 were such high spec and functional they both may have at least one new lease of life as decent quality mic preamps feeding AES inputs on a cart. That is - if you have one (and have this need).

J

Can't hurt as a project or simply for some fun tinkering, thats for sure...   

I owned the HHB and both the PD6 and PD606...  None of my machines ever failed me..  I liked them all...

But to be on a back up, with a client who's paying for quality audio with no problems or issues, and then having your backup for any reason fail to perform would be deadly... The shear age of those units does funny things.. a lot of moving parts... Why would you someone want to go there...

To each their own for sure, and there is a possibility of your modern backup taking a shit.... but that chance I believe is much less. At the new price points for a used 788/633/Mix pre 3 or 6 or 10... I would definitely go that route guarding my own reputation.