Sony FS7

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All Sony cameras (that I'm aware of) have that status button.  I generally set everything as it should be in the input and output menus and then hit status (use the scroll control to find the right screen) to set levels.

I wish they'd just put some proper audio meters on the back though.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm currently working with the FS7 in a tv-drama production. It's a pretty solid camera all-around and the DOP  and his crew seem quite content with it, but i'm having issues with it's timecode sync.

I'm using an Ambient Tiny Lockit on the camera attached to the XDCA-FS7 extension unit. I get the camera to take in the timecode, i get it to show the EXT-LK text on the display which according to the manual means that it is locked to external timecode. The problem is, that after setting the timecode, the camera starts to drift pretty fast. I'm talking a frame or two in an hour. And the thing is, that the tiny lockit is running in the correct timecode, and is syncing continuously from another lockit on set. It seems like the FS7 is not at all locked to external timecode, but rather syncs once and then starts to run on it's own (rather wobbly) clock.

The FS7 is on preset/free run, and the tc i/o switch is set to in. Have any of you experienced the same? Any ideas?

It doesn't help that the camera never says anything if the timecode has problems. No warnings or blinking as with the Alexa...

Edited by anssik
filling in details

• 10 months later...

Im getting a weird sound along my signal.

I am transferring a mix from a 633 through two lectro SMDA TXs and a SR receiver on the camera. Im going in on the camera bodys XLRchannel 1 and 2, set to mic as line seemed to low. The TXs are set to 25 and the receiver to +5. The sound quality and levels on the 633 are perfectly fine.

The weird sound Im getting is like a quick burst of noise that echoes out right after a stronger audio impulse, also If I tap the TA5 connector on the TX i hear this quietly I hear none of this in the 633 recorder. 

The limiter on the camera is of.

I might be too tired but couldn't fix it when I tried.

Your transmitter and receiver outputs should be giving you plenty of signal strength at line level.. I have mine almost set up the same way.. Smqvs at 20 from 633 line level with line level cables, to srb at +5 out into fs series or whatever camera at line level in. You mentioned that you hear the noise when you tap your 5pin cable from your sr, do you have another to swap out? Could be the cable.

11 hours ago, Derek H said:

I still don't really understand the audio menu options for level or level plus side...

Side are the potis, level is an electronic value (attenuation) which is adjustable in the audio input menu.

If you select Side only (recommended for more-than-one-man-crew), the electronic "Level" is deactivated (= switched to maximum) and appears as "+99" in the audio status menu.

• 4 weeks later...

Mungo is correct, the electronic level is an overall level for the two inputs and is designed to be used when the wheel on the FS7 is assigned to control audio level, supposed to enable a one-man shooter to be able to adjust levels on the fly.

Always select side as there is a chance that if an operator set the Electronic level to a wheel on the handle or side of the camera they can fight-Work against each other, ie you do a line up tone and all is well via the Sony status screen and the op unwittingly changes the level up or down with an assighed wheel.

On ‎2017‎-‎02‎-‎03 at 1:22 PM, Derek H said:

Gotcha, sounds to me like the Sony engineers brewed a little too much coffee that day. 

Hahahaha...I can see images; "waitwaitwaitwait guys! how do we deal with audio now that the cam's ready?! and there's half an hour left before punchin'out!"

16 hours ago, Boomboom said:

Hahahaha...I can see images; "waitwaitwaitwait guys! how do we deal with audio now that the cam's ready?! and there's half an hour left before punchin'out!"

Well nobody I know, including me, used to understand that concept at once. :-D

I guess they searched for a way to one-man-crew having some audio value visible in that viewfinder and being able to change it without grabbing around the head. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/9/2015 at 2:38 AM, Graham Kicklighter said:

Just to confirm, you do need this extension unit for timecode I/O, hirose power output, etc...

http://www.sony.co.uk/pro/product/broadcast-products-camcorders-camera-adaptors/xdca-fs7/overview/

I was hoping the new FS7 II would have TC I/O without the need of the extension unit but no...  Hopefully, a third party company will eventually be able to tap into the multi-pin connector on the back of the camera and offer a tiny TC I/O.

• 1 year later...

Graham, yes you need the Sony extension unit in order to get TC out or in
Sony does not license outside Parties to use the 150 pin connector on the back top of the FS7 cameras , I know this because I asked the Sony product team engineers for that camera the same question

What may be possible is for Sony to have a less expensive extension unit with just the basics of TC, 4 pin power, genlock and raw out.

What makes the current extension unit so expensive is the built in mini computer that encodes Pro Res in HD and sends that encoded HD pro res file to the internal XQD cards.

You can get the Sony XLR k2M adapter to expand the inputs capability of the FS7’s so you can use the two built in XLR’s for a camera hop and on board mike and can feed the remaining Chanel’s a tentacle set for audio output, you would just need the tentacle output cable to XLR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On 3/5/2018 at 8:41 AM, remixr said:

What may be possible is for Sony to have a less expensive extension unit with just the basics of TC, 4 pin power, genlock and raw out.

Not likely at all. 

Maybe if we're lucky and pester them a lot we might get an add on via the extension port just for TC? That would be enough to make us happy at least. 

On 3/5/2018 at 8:41 AM, remixr said:

You can get the Sony XLR k2M adapter to expand the inputs capability of the FS7’s so you can use the two built in XLR’s for a camera hop and on board mike and can feed the remaining Chanel’s a tentacle set for audio output, you would just need the tentacle output cable to XLR.

Or can also use the smart shoe to feed channels 3/4 via your Sony wireless, I've done that before with a FS7 and FS5 as a camera hop to them from my bag.