RIP - Joe Cocker

Jeff Wexler

One of the greats, his unique singing style will be missed!

post-1-0-40583300-1419273419_thumb.jpg

Singer Joe Cocker, best known for his cover of the Beatles' With A Little Help From My Friends, has died aged 70.

The singer song-writer from Sheffield had a career lasting more than 40 years with hits including You Are So Beautiful and Up Where We Belong.

His agent Barrie Marshall confirmed that he had died of an undisclosed illness.

He said he was "simply unique" and "it will be impossible to fill the space he leaves in our hearts."

Known for his gritty voice, Cocker began his singing career in the pubs and clubs of Sheffield in the 1960s before hitting the big time.

He was propelled to pop stardom when his version of The Beatles' With A Little Help from My Friends reached number one.

His duet with Jennifer Warnes, Up Where We Belong - from An Officer And A Gentleman - hit number one and went on to win both a Grammy and an Academy Award.

He was honoured with an OBE in 2007.

Last year he broke all his own records in arenas across Europe, with a number one album in Germany and what was to be his final concert in Hammersmith, London, in June.

I remember the time Joe Cocker was introduced to me by my friend (and teacher of the odd/strange/world/jazz/eclectic music) Warren Senders (Boston): 

Well, you know, they heard him sing and said "he sounded like a 60 year old janitor in a NYC tube station wash room facility..." it was amazing. 

What a man, what a voice and what passion... 

a true loss... 

the world is becoming more and more less and less... 

-vin

mirror, I guess that's a good question, though it seems odd for a remembrance of someone who just died.

The way it is in music is a singer sings. An interpreter like Joe Cocker or say Frank Sinatra sings someone else's song and makes it their own, and a singer/songwriter sings their own songs and those are often covered by many others like Bob Dylan. who was covered to greater success than his own by the Byrds, Sonny and Cher, and even Jimi Hendricks. Personally I don't care who wrote a song as much as I care if the song moves me. Joe Cocker always did. RIP Joe.

CrewC

On another note Joe Strummer also passed on 12-22-2002. As unique a voice in his own time IMO. I miss them both. At least their music lives on.

mirror, I guess that's a good question, though it seems odd for a remembrance of someone who just died.

The way it is in music is a singer sings. An interpreter like Joe Cocker or say Frank Sinatra sings someone else's song and makes it their own, and a singer/songwriter sings their own songs and those are often covered by many others like Bob Dylan. who was covered to greater success than his own by the Byrds, Sonny and Cher, and even Jimi Hendricks. Personally I don't care who wrote a song as much as I care if the song moves me. Joe Cocker always did. RIP Joe.

CrewC

On another note Joe Strummer also passed on 12-22-2002. As unique a voice in his own time IMO. I miss them both. At least their music lives on.

Actually I've wondered that for years but the thought would pass before I could google the answer.  Brought it up here to see if anyone knew off the top of their head.  I'm a fan of his work.

Besides enjoying his unique voice, it was a trip just to watch him perform. I never knew someone could sing while in the throws of a grand mal seizure.