442 wiring help

JRL

I’m not to crash hot on the whole balance, unbalanced, line and mic level thing. I’m sure I have balanced/unbalanced sorted but not how it all combines with line & mic levels and wiring.

Here’s what I need to do. I have a 442 and a Tascam Dr-60. I want to be able to record the 4 direct outputs to the Tascam which has 2 x XLR inputs and a 3.5mm jack for channels 3&4. So the variety of input types has sticked me up a bit.

The 2 x XLR inputs can be selected between line or mic.

The 3.5mm mini jack is/can only be unbalanced line level, correct?

So to get everything matching as best as possible I’ll need to change the 442 settings so that the outputs are line level.

The cables that take the 442 direct outputs 1&2 will be wired normally.

The cable that takes the 442 direct outputs 3&4 will be wired unbalanced, by floating pin-3. Does floating mean, not connecting, or other?

Have I got this right. Relevant manual images below.

Any help appreciated.

post-8128-0-13799100-1419304240_thumb.pn

post-8128-0-47697400-1419304245_thumb.pn

JRL

Confirm that your recorder will accept a line level signal.

You will also need to confirm that your Sound Devices 442 mixer is setup to send a line level signal out of the “direct outputs” (TA3). Access the setup menu in the mixer. With the L (left) LED meter position at -12 is (light on) the R (right LED position should be at -30.

The interconnecting cable that you will need to make or have made will send two separate (output 3 & 4) and distinct signals to one 3.5mm TRS connector. The unbalanced “Y” cable can be made with Mogami W2528 cable*, (2) TA3f connectors and a Switchcraft 3.5mm TRS  (model # 35HDBAU or right angle 35HDRABAU) connector.

Left Channel XLR Side

Split the shield into to equal twisted lengths, tin them and solder them to pins 1 & 3.  Solder the conductor to pin 2.

Right Channel XLR Side

Split the shield into to equal twisted lengths, tin them and solder them to pins 1 & 3.  Solder the conductor to pin 2.

Left & Right Channel 3.5mm TRS plug side

Twist both shields together, (L&R) tin them and solder to the sleeve of the TRS connector. The Left channel will be soldered to the Tip. The Right channel will be soldered to the Ring of the TRS 3.5 mm plug.

* Use a dual unbalanced cable like Mogami W2528 and (2)TA3f connectors. The cable can be split into a “Y”. Each side of the cable will have a shield and 1 conductor. The Switchcraft connector has a large opening that will allow you to use larger cable diameters like the Mogami W2528. Also mark the XLR ends so you know which is the L & R channel.

I hope this helps.

Mark

According to the recorder specs, and assuming you want to use the mixer's direct outs, recorder inputs 1/2 can handle +4dB (nominal), no problem there. However recorder inputs 3/4 cannot, so attenuation would be required, in addition, bias current (aka, Plug-in pwr) would need to be blocked.

I would recommend taking the whole rig to one of the usual suspect shops, and have them make the proper connection cables, or DIY if you fully understand the issues.. and have soldering skills.

Thanks very much, that's fantastic info.

I'll have a crack at it myself as I need to start developing my soldering and cable making skills at some stage.

I love this site and the generosity that people show in sharing their knowledge. Hopefully I'll be able to give back at some stage.