Does this mean we are out of a job?

Jack Norflus

"One big issue with capturing video on cellphones is audio quality. With the new chip, the phone will be able to process sound in a way that captures it in specific directions. If you, say, just want to record audio from the person you’re filming, you’ll be able to tell your camera you just want his or her voice, and nothing else."

Why can't Sound Devices do this, or Zaxcom...  the new Cantar must have some way that we can just tell the recorder what we want to hear and what we don't want to hear.

Anyone who's ever read "Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy" knows there's a little sequence in there that explains the evolution of radios; first, radios had big knobs, then they went smaller. Eventually the knobs were replaced by buttons. The buttons where then replaced by touch buttons that lay under the surface of the radio. Then as people started getting more and more lazy, the touch was refined and tuned so now you didn't even have to touch the radio, only wave at it. The apparent downside of this is you have to be absolutely still to be able to enjoy any radio show. :)

This reminded me of that. Imagine a parent filming a kids party, constantly telling his camera what to focus sound on. Doh!

Also, Google has this "OK Google" thing, where you tell your phone what to do. I don't see, in a space with other people, you would go at around giving voice commands everywhere. OK Google, take a picture! It takes forever saying it compared to click.

Anyway.. I'm looking forward to watching AFV with a bunch of videos trashed by voice commands!

But someone will need to be thinking about which bits we (they) want to hear etc...... That'll be the sound professional - the one person who is there on set to love just the sound, rather than the whole of the rest of the crew who are all there to love the pictures.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ONE AND ALL!!!!!

Kindest regards,

Simon B

Why can't Sound Devices do this, or Zaxcom...  the new Cantar must have some way that we can just tell the recorder what we want to hear and what we don't want to hear.

"One big issue with capturing video on cellphones is audio quality. With the new chip, the phone will be able to process sound in a way that captures it in specific directions. If you, say, just want to record audio from the person you’re filming, you’ll be able to tell your camera you just want his or her voice, and nothing else."

Every so often, some neophyte moron pops up on the RedUser group and complains, "why can't we have an autofocus system so that it just keeps the main actors in focus no matter where they walk?" They think it's just a matter of putting some kind of sensor in the actors' costume and the lens will automatically react to it. 

I think these are the same people that want a microphone that just picks up what you want to record, and then magically ignores everything else. And it's just about as impossible to accomplish.

It is accomplishing this by using a chip, which means it is probably just noise cancelling using the second mike on the phone (iPhones has had a second mike for this purpose for a while; it is used actively on phone calls.) This means that there will be digital aliasing on everything recorded. This might be fine for a Xmas family video, but it certainly will not be professional. 

Sometimes when it gets really bad, I just cut the talent's mic, route my talkback mic to their channel, and start improvising - hoping no one notices in the edit bay. I tend to overdo foreign accents a bit and somehow my female impersonation doesn't always seem to cut it.

I busted out laughing when I read this Tom !

Sometimes when it gets really bad, I just cut the talent's mic, route my talkback mic to their channel, and start improvising - hoping no one notices in the edit bay.  I tend to overdo foreign accents a bit and somehow my female impersonation doesn't always seem to cut it.

I busted out laughing when I read this Tom !

Me too... I was looking for the "like" button :-)

Who would have thought Facebook would eventually auto tag photos with face recognition? But it works very well with millions of faces. Think how much easier it would be with just 10 or so actors. Same with voice recognition. An algorithm that combines face and voice recognition is all it would take to have auto focus on the actor talking. Of course, there would be manual override and user parameters.

gt