Sony UWP D11 vs Lectrosonics 100

rayellabad

Hello, currently I´m having a hard time making the decision in regards to lavalier wireless systems. Lectros 411s are totally out of my reach. I was looking for something better that the Sennheiser G3s and I saw the Sony UWP D11 series. They seem very sturdy and what I´ve seen they do a pretty good job rejecting RF, I also like the dual antenna to reduce drop-outs and lastly the UHF phase lock. However, this Sony model seems fairly new and the mic input is 3.5mm. 

With that, my second choice are the Lectros 100. But I haven´t really found a lot of useful reviews on those bad boys. A fellow sound mixer told me that those are Ok (compared to the 411s). But how about those 100s compared to the Sonys. 

I live in El Paso, Tx which has a lot of radio and tv stations since we have the border meters away. 

Appreciate any advice. 

Rayell

Just fyi the Sennheiser G3s have dual antennas, too.

Not sure what it is you don't like about the G3s, but either of the other two systems you mention won't be much of a step up, in fact many believe they'd be a step down. Just rent all three systems and compare them yourself. Since this is also about sound quality, only you can find the best system for you

You're up early!  Would you consider buying used Lectro 211s?  This is self serving but I'll be selling four 211 sets as soon as I get my new stuff about mid January.  I have two in Block 27 and two in Block 24.  I'll be putting them in the for sale section today or tomorrow.  They've all been refurbished, are working well and sound great.

I also wouldn't say the Sony UWP D11 is a step-up from the G3, despite Sony's 'digital' buzzword.

FWIW, both have diversity receivers, though the Sony has a HP out and a more 'affordable' Phantom Pwr. butt-plug transmitter option. In either case, the included lav mics are not very good, so factor new mic(s) into your budget.  A used 211 system is an option for sure, if receiver size is not an issue. It can also be used with 400 series gear if the frequencies coincide.

Lectrosonics tx/rx units have a more robust housing than the Sony's and sound better

Sennheiser's G2 and G3 series also sounded better than Sony's to me.

The high end Sennheiser lines sound good, but cost even more than the other options listed above

And, if not buying an LMA with UCR100.. definitely buy used 200 series Lectros.

Clients will think of you as more professional.

I did use all of the above, and have phased out all but the Lectrosonics units.

IMHO used 211's would be a better choice than new 100 series. The 200 series sounds better, is more forgiving of setup, is more robust as far as RF goes, is still factory supported and will be for some years. Money wise, someone else has taken the hit on depreciation and in a year or so you should still be able to get most of your investment out of them. In addition, if you want to go to a more specialized transmitter such as a MM or WM (waterproof) or a tiny transmitter such as an SM, you can run the transmitters in 200 emulation mode with very good results. All part of a nefarious plan. You don't have to buy new units to get frequency advice from Lectro (John Muldrow 800 821-1121) as to what blocks are good in your region..

Best Regards,
Larry Fisher
Lectrosonics

The above post is precisely one of the many reasons why I like Lectrosonics so much. Products and company. Others might have taken the opportunity to take a swipe at the other two companies in this thread, but not Lectro. Only compares his own products, which are not even made anymore.

Thank you, Larry

You're up early!  Would you consider buying used Lectro 211s?  This is self serving but I'll be selling four 211 sets as soon as I get my new stuff about mid January.  I have two in Block 27 and two in Block 24.  I'll be putting them in the for sale section today or tomorrow.  They've all been refurbished, are working well and sound great.

I´m interested in Block 24s. How much are you asking for a set? Thank you. 

I'm thinking $1000 plus shipping. Can you wait a few weeks until I get my replacements? Would you be interested in both 24s?

Thanks,

Bernie

Actually yes I´m interested in both, a few more weeks will be better that way I can plan it. I was considering buying by the last days of January. Whenever you have a chance could you take a picture of everything you are including?

Thank you.

Happy New Year. 

Rayell