Indie Alternatives to the Schoeps system?

Andrew From Deity

Drew, I hate to say this, but it looks like you are shopping for a car when you have the budget for a bicycle.

Alternatively, I think you should consider financing the purchase of tools that will earn you a better rate, and let you complete more complex work, for which you can get decent pay.

I think you really need 3-6 channels of audio with the ability to mix and record them, a timecode clock, 2 channels of wireless, a comtek tx and 2 rx units and a hypercardioid mic with a good suspension system.

I think this would cost you $6,000-$8,000 with new gear, and lower budget wireless

You should be able to charge at least $150-$250/day for this equipment, plus $35/hour -$50/hour on an 8 hour day for bag jobs

thats around 40 days of rental to pay the gear off.

Contact your local sound vendors for referral to lease company programs.

If lease terms are not attractive, ask about a long term rental rate on the gear you would like to use.  Much like camera houses, they will work with you to configure a coherent package which you can standardize.   

<I'm still very much a newb at all this.>

<I think you really need 3-6 channels of audio with the ability to mix and record them, a timecode clock, 2 channels of wireless, a comtek tx and 2 rx units and a hypercardioid mic with a good suspension system.>

And maybe someone to teach him how to use all of it? Jus' sayin'...

You can go and buy an Oktava if you don't want to spend a lot of money but you need to be aware of the trade offs. Like others have said, a good shock mount is crucial, as well as wind protection (a foam windshield and, if you intend to swing the boom a bit, at least a fitted DIY fake fur sock that you pull over the foamie). Also, a mixer with a good LF roll off is an absolute must for this mic. Like this, it has served me well when I started out and is definitely useable on a boomable in my experience, contrary to what others here have said. I still pull it out at times. To make up for the lesser quality of the mic compared to the high end stuff, you can buy a few sound blankets and carpets for little money that will drastically improve the ACOUSTICS (John B mentioned it) on your corporate interior shoots, more than doing it without them and getting a Schoeps instead. Also always keep an ear open for sources of unwanted noise you can turn off, such as ACs, fridges, machines etc.

...but you need to be aware of the trade offs. 

...Also, a mixer with a good LF roll off is an absolute must for this mic. 

...I still pull it out at times. To make up for the lesser quality of the mic compared to the high end stuff, you can buy a few sound blankets and carpets for little money that will drastically improve the ACOUSTICS (John B mentioned it) on your corporate interior shoots, more than doing it without them and getting a Schoeps instead. Also always keep an ear open for sources of unwanted noise you can turn off, such as ACs, fridges, machines etc.

good tools do work for you. bad tools make work for you.

AT4053 is a good choice. It's a great sounding mic and got me through the first few years until I could afford to buy a couple schoeps. You can buy them new for 600, used for 400ish. Keep it as a crash mic/backup or sell it if you upgrade down the line. If you buy used you'll probably make most of your money back. 

The MKH50 and Schoeps are the most popular options these days, but MKH50 is still in the $1000+ category. If you can find it, the MKH40 is not as popular and sells for a lot less on the used market. 40 is wider pattern than the 50, closer to the pickup pattern of the schoeps. 

For that typical "corporate" gig, probably a 416 will be fine. This is not about the most linear audio quality, but about speech intelligibility.

Alternatives:

MKH 50 *is* expensive, yes, but it will reliably do its job for decades. So will a KM 185, or a Schoeps 41.

In the "budget" range, I guess the best bet is the AKG mentioned. The Blue Line series has been around quite a while, and they have the widest range of capsules in the budget range for future expansion plans.

I have no real experience with Audix, but apparently they use OEM capsules made by MBHO - which in turn are a Schoeps spin-off. So probably good in long-term reliability too.

Oktavas are good for music production - I use them as spots for louder instruments in orchestras quite a bit - and can sometimes make a mediocre instrument or player sound a bit more euphonic. This comes from the slight saturation distortion they have. Not exactly what I'd use on a boom.

As to mixer - well, there are a lot of used Shure FP33 around for little money. Predecessor or "uncle" of the 302.

You might find the need for one or maybe two wireless kits. Sennheiser EW series is fine for corporate, that's what they are made for.