AES out of 702t to LYNX AURORA 8

jpustin

Gday,

Sorry for the probably dumb question but I am trying to work out if it is possible to go AES out of my SD702t into the AES (XLR) inputs of my Lynx Aurora 8 to basically see if I can use the 702 at pres for my studio when needed but im getting lost in the SD manual is it just referring to +4 and -10 with the pro and consumer settings?

thanks and sorry again for the dumb question.

What happens when you try it? If you're reading in the manual about +4 and -10 levels, you are not reading about the digital outs. If given a choice between a pro and a consumer setting, always go with pro.

Sorry if my reply sounds like I'm trying to be a substitute for the Senator. So let me add this:

There are no dumb questions. However, a question can reveal your level of knowledge. That is, after all, why you need to ask it.

In the manual of the 702T that I just glanced at, there is no mentioning of +4 output level, but in any case, those level settings are for line level (i.e. analog) outs. You're asking about the digital outs which can be either S/PDIF or AES3 on the 702. The former is considered a consumer format and the latter is a professional format. They are very similar formats, but one of their differences is not a difference in level. If you want to go into your Lynx using its AES inputs, you should also use the AES outs on your 702.

since you have all the equipment nearby, as you said, you could of course just try it out and see/hear what'll happen. You certainly won't break anything if you use a wrong setting.

Since you professed in another thread to know all about the A-D and, presumably, D-A process, you probably knew all this anyway, but it is for the benefit of other readers who may not

What happens when you try it? If you're reading in the manual about +4 and -10 levels, you are not reading about the digital outs. If given a choice between a pro and a consumer setting, always go with pro.

Sorry if my reply sounds like I'm trying to be a substitute for the Senator. So let me add this:

There are no dumb quetions. However, a quetion can reveal your level of knowledge. That is, after all, why you need to ask it.

In the manual of the 702T that I just glanced at, there is no mentioning of +4 output level, but in any case, those level settings are for line level (i.e. analog) outs. You're asking about the digital outs which can be either S/PDIF or AES3 on the 702. The former is considered a consumer format and the latter is a professional format. They are very similar formats, but one of their differences is not a difference in level. If you want to go into your Lynx using its AES inputs, you should also use the AES outs on your 702.

since you have all the equipment nearby, as you said, you could of course just try it out and see/hear what'll happen. You certainly won't break anything if you use a wrong setting.

Since you professed in another thread to know all about the A-D and, presumably, D-A process, you probably knew all this anyway, but it is for the benefit of other readers who may not

Listen mate. Please comment no further. Upon further research I have solved my interfacing issue. You are a smug know it all no help. Please do not comment anymore. You are a snide little man. I do not wish to converse with you anymore. I am new to location sound. I very rarely deal with the gear as I am stuck in a studio mixing the stuff you record so if your going to have an attitude then you can kindly bugger off.

Everyone else on this forum seems very open and helping besides you.

Happy new year. Perhaps time for an attitude adjustment.

Listen mate. Please comment no further. Upon further research I have solved my interfacing issue. You are a smug know it all no help. Please do not comment anymore. You are a snide little man. I do not wish to converse with you anymore. I am new to location sound. I very rarely deal with the gear as I am stuck in a studio mixing the stuff you record so if your going to have an attitude then you can kindly bugger off.

And it is difficult to try as I do not have the cables yet and was wanting to get it straight before I purchased, so no trying.

Sorry you feel that way. It was certainly not my intention to sound like a smug know it all (I don't know it all).

In fact, I was trying to answer your question, while also pointing out where you went wrong. If you found your answer elsewhere, that's great.

If you had said that you were new to this you could have said so, maybe my response would have been different. Your question didn't really concern location sound, though.

You obviously haven't read a response from Senator, yet. His would have been much harsher.

Anyway, in the spirit of the holiday season, I apologize if I offended you

Why? Should just be plug and play. AES out of the SD into AES in on the Lynx. AES is 110 ohm at both ends.

D.

Ah awesome then. Thats what I kinda was thinking and of course would be trying but the manual seemed to point to aes3id which is unbalanced 75ohm. Either way I've no doubts it'll work.

Cheers.

Seems like an extra piece of kit to hook the 788T up to a Lynx Aurora.  If you want to be fancy, use 110 ohm cable between the TA3 AES out on the 788T and a DSub 25 into to the Lynx.  If not, make one with mic cable.  The run would be pretty short. Lynx only in on a DSub 25 so a custom cable is needed.

D,

Seems like an extra piece of kit to hook the 788T up to a Lynx Aurora. If you want to be fancy, use 110 ohm cable between the TA3 AES out on the 788T and a DSub 25 into to the Lynx. If not, make one with mic cable. The run would be pretty short. Lynx only in on a DSub 25 so a custom cable is needed.

D,

Do the ta3 connectors really output aes? Out of my 702t?

NO. RTFM, study it and know it. Don't make others read it for you.

Tourtelot is confused, don't know why he is referencing the 788t.

The Digital Output Bus appears solely on the AES3id BNC output connector.

You owe me $50. I take paypal.

All good dude, balancing transformer already bought.