Cecomobile ?

al mcguire

The story I know is that the Cinemobile was invented for the TV series "I Spy" which was unusual for that time in that they shot so much on location, both in the USA and abroad.  It was considered very cutting edge at the time, although I talked to a few people who worked off it and they said it was really kind of a pain--very limited storage etc..   The Cecomobiles were around when I started in the biz--I saw them working in LA a few times, but I never had the chance to work off it myself.   The production company I worked for in the late 1970s (One Pass Inc, SF) tried to emulate this idea for early EFP style video shoots.  It worked ok until the jobs got bigger….   Gear in the back, seating for 6 in the front, a custom built Grumman body.

philp

post-17-0-80268200-1420255307_thumb.jpg

I did,I think, two features with the Cinemobile and the smaller version the "Movievan".Everyone thought they where useless.I think Dean Cundy had the Movievan,which was a stretch van and included mostly non-working sound gear, even the 2 Nagra's had problems.This was in 1976.

J.D.