Rode NT4 compared to Rode Videomic Pro X for Ambient w/single shooter?

LeTiger

*edit* Thanks for the advice!

Greetings!

I'm almost always a 1-man run n' gun fellow that's looking for a good B-roll ambient solution for my shots. I have a SD Mix-Pre-D that I run with my kit, and was wondering if in your opinion, paying the extra for the VideoMicPro X would be sensible as compared to just getting the NT4 and running it though my SD mixer. 

The only upsides I can think of of the Videomic would be the well-engineered windscreen & dead cat. 

Any thoughts would be appreciated, and thanks for having a gander!

Hi Tiger,

most of us don't mount mics on cameras, and practically none of us are shooters, and finally, I assume most of us have never used a VideoMicProX, so I'm not sure that you'll find lots of useful answers here. There surely must be some one man shooter forums that could offer more experienced advice on this.

Thanks folks - I realize I'm probably in the minority here - also have a DVX user account and have pursued similar there. 

I really do appreciate the time you folks took to write response, thank you! (I saw that there was a 'video cameras' section, so I figured what the heck, some folks might do both)

re: Lancashire, I get it, I really do... it's not what I have the funds to do myself, so I settle for compromise. Also, with over 7k in lenses, I feel that sound should be as important, and am willing to spend money to do so, just wanted advice from the folks that know :)

re: Omaha - thanks! I'll check those out - I do also have an NTG3 that I use for booming when I have the funds for a dedicated audio person.

re: Christian, and Jim - thanks for the insight, and the time taken to reply!

Cheers!

What camera are you using?

I'm not a fan of cardioid mics on cameras.  I think they pick up too much "me" and not enough of what's on camera.  For me, a decent on camera shotgun is the only way to go.  Your NTG-3 is a great mic but probably too big for on camera use.

I think that one of the coolest on camera mics right now is the Ambient Tiny Mic.  It's actually tiny and comes with a great kit with Rycote Lyre shock mount, foam windscreen, and cables.  I have many Ambient products and can say from experience that they are well made and reliable.  When Ambient makes something, they make it the best.  And it's the size of a Sharpie marker.

http://www.sam-mallery.com/2011/10/the-great-on-camera-mic-shootout-2011/

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1028982&gclid=Cj0KEQiA8rilBRDZu_G8hszXraoBEiQABlB9Y7nQ8AuUxXaTAkYVq66wTinwhxIugYmHOZeL0pQgBlUaAiSI8P8HAQ&Q=&is=REG&A=details