QRX200 AES -> Nomad or 788t : What cables to purchase?

Jaymz

Have done a search and wasn't able to find the answer.

I need to get some TA-5 to dual XLR-M cables to allow me to go out of some QRX200's AES into either a Nomad or 788t.

Does anyone have a link to the specific cable? I can only find this one which doesn't mention AES compatibility, 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/857687-REG/Remote_Audio_CA_T5F2X3M_18_TA5F_Y_to_2_XLR_3M.html

Indeed, I just can't seem to find the link. I won't be the one making the purchase so I need to the send the exact product link to the ones that will. 

Well, if you have to do the legwork, then go to the online store for any of the usual suspects that have been mentioned and get the link so you can send that to whoever actually is going to be getting the cables.

Hmmm let's doing homework tonight.

Looks like Canare has digital cable. Called: DA206

MOGAMI? Hmm looks like having good options.

http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/dig_interface/aes_ebu/

Lets see Van Damme.

Two options. One and Two

Ok this going to be confusion. I will stop and I will say you can do the job with a regular cable for such a small "distance", but if you are getting serious give attention if the 110Ω cable is 100% shielded.

Well, if you have to do the legwork, then go to the online store for any of the usual suspects that have been mentioned and get the link so you can send that to whoever actually is going to be getting the cables.

I did, I spent a good while doing so. Only then did I post here.   

None of the cables I found mentioned AES/110ohm. I was unsure about using the one I found for AES, but if you think it will work fine that's what I'll have ordered to go AES into the 788t. 

An important point should be made: this cable works fine for going analog into the Nomad, but for AES, you will need to use the db-15 connector on the left side of the Nomad instead.

Yeah I just noticed the XLR inputs are analogue only. Is a DB-15 -> TA-5 breakout cable available anywhere? Again, I just spent a while searching and could not find any from any of the usual suspects. 

You will not be able to use the same AES in cable for both 788 and nomad - they are different connectors.

And I dont think that anyone will stock a pre-made AES input cable for Nomad - since both AES in and out are on the same connector and there are too many different configurations that the cable can be. For example do you want AES out on the same connector? 

pin configs for 788T and Nomad are ever so slightly different.  The Nomad DE15 port provides 8 AES in and 6 AES out.  The 788T provides 8 AES in, 2 AES out, GPIO and ext. DC powering via the DE15.  As a result the ground pin assignment is different between the two devices (pin 8 on nomad, pin 6+7 on the 788T).

The answer to this is quite simple and has been stated many times.  Call your local pro audio dealer and tell them what you need, they'll give you a price to have it made up, pay, receive, rinse, repeat.

As Jack mentioned the sheer variety of what mixers may need in terms of cabling is so vast that many online listings will not show the items you need.  Length, colour, connector types, connections actually required and much more all vary from person to person, mixer to mixer, setup to setup.

So in conclusion - refer them to your local trusted location audio store or even Mr Toline, Mr Radlaur or any of the US based wirepersons whose fine work is available to view on these boards and beyond.  If you're enquiring for someone else simply ring ahead and get a price first then refer them accordingly.

pin configs for 788T and Nomad are ever so slightly different. The Nomad DE15 port provides 8 AES in and 6 AES out. The 788T provides 8 AES in, 2 AES out, GPIO and ext. DC powering via the DE15. As a result the ground pin assignment is different between the two devices (pin 8 on nomad, pin 6+7 on the 788T).

The answer to this is quite simple and has been stated many times. Call your local pro audio dealer and tell them what you need, they'll give you a price to have it made up, pay, receive, rinse, repeat.

As Jack mentioned the sheer variety of what mixers may need in terms of cabling is so vast that many online listings will not show the items you need. Length, colour, connector types, connections actually required and much more all vary from person to person, mixer to mixer, setup to setup.

So in conclusion - refer them to your local trusted location audio store or even Mr Toline, Mr Radlaur or any of the US based wirepersons whose fine work is available to view on these boards and beyond. If you're enquiring for someone else simply ring ahead and get a price first then refer them accordingly.

+1 to everything said.

I would also add that you definitely check out Scott Beatty from Twin Audio, and his "Hydra Cables". These are custom cables with a middle attachment point, that in your particular case may be an advantage, because then you can always swap the recorder end of the cable depending on what recorder you are using, while keeping the end attached to the wireless the same.

pin configs for 788T and Nomad are ever so slightly different. ...

The answer to this is quite simple and has been stated many times. Call your local pro audio dealer and tell them what you need, they'll give you a price to have it made up, pay, receive, rinse, repeat.

So in conclusion - refer them to your local trusted location audio store or even Mr Toline, Mr Radlaur or any of the US based wirepersons whose fine work is available to view on these boards and beyond.

+1

On the topic of nd connectors. Anyone recommend a low profile version or part # or any ideas with modifying a connector with cable exiting out the side for a 788 in a bag. Want to eventually go aes out of wireless to aes in on the 788.

Thanks.

Hi Glenn,

I have a few here that might work.  I'll send you a picture.

Turns out I had a picture in my android - I bought these in error for a Nomad cable (this would block the hirose DC in on the nomad), but as the DE15 for the 788T is on the rear (isn't it?) this might work nicely.

Let me know if you want the part details to see if you can find it in Canada - these are actually quite expensive for DE15 backshells compared to the usual prices here in the UK.  

post-8149-0-79737500-1420830338_thumb.jp

Have you tried the audio root right angle hirose?

That DE15 is really low profile so it actually would only allow a few mm of clearance from the side of the panel - I found a different shell which worked well and didn't interfere with anything else.

I have used the audioroot hirose copies several times and they are very handy (I use them in my RXs and on my own "products"), however as the Nomad cable was for someone else I wasn't able to ask them to get a new cable to accomodate my poor choice of backshell, if that makes sense.

Appreciate the suggestion though :).

Turns out I had a picture in my android - I bought these in error for a Nomad cable (this would block the hirose DC in on the nomad), but as the DE15 for the 788T is on the rear (isn't it?) this might work nicely.

Let me know if you want the part details to see if you can find it in Canada - these are actually quite expensive for DE15 backshells compared to the usual prices here in the UK.

Please let me know the part number. This looks like it might work quite well.

Thanks.