BAFTA SOUND NOMINATIONS

Richard Lightstone, CAS

SOUND

AMERICAN SNIPER Walt Martin, John Reitz, Gregg Rudloff, Alan Robert Murray, Bub Asman

BIRDMAN Thomas Varga, Martin Hernández, Aaron Glascock, Jon Taylor, Frank A. Montaño

THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL Wayne Lemmer, Christopher Scarabosio, Pawel Wdowczak

THE IMITATION GAME John Midgley, Lee Walpole, Stuart Hilliker, Martin Jensen

WHIPLASH Thomas Curley, Ben Wilkins, Craig Mann

I've known Tom Curley for ages. Boomed a short for him as I was switching over to sound and needed some experience. Tiny room, mirror, bare bulbs, jammed against the wall behind the dolly track. Most physically demanding boom shot I can recall doing. Thankfully on film, so cuts between fairly long takes.

I still slate G as Godzilla, remembering a shot I was booming for Tom. The East Coast 1st AC was of Japanese descent, although no accent. He put up the slate and called out the scene "23 - GODZILLA!!" In heavy Japanese accent. It had been a tough day and movie, but the comic timing was perfect. We all had a good laugh.

Remained friends to this day, and I'm very happy to see him nominated. I just wish I had been able to see this film.

• 4 weeks later...