Cyclone vs. Piano

Jeff Wexler

Private test made by Philippe CHENEVEZ. Do it at home !

Interesting that with the Piano that has less "noise of the wind" it makes you think the microphones are traveling slower. The wind noise, from the Cyclone, makes it seem like during the test the Cyclone was traveling faster (so of course it would be noisier). I love this sort of real world test (but I'm glad I was not the one having to keep swinging the fishpoles!).

- thank you Gilles for posting this on Facebook

Great test. Of course, both Rycote and Cinela are great companies with very respectable products, so it's good to hear them compared sided-by-side in such a simple and real-world manner. 

Among other things, the test seems to support the need for a fur cover for the Rycote Cyclone for higher winds, which, of course, would call for a re-match! When the re-match happens, I would like the test to also include a comparison with the microphones pointing into the wind and away from the wind.

Thanks for this post.

gt

As regard to these videos :
Piano without fur is a better wind protection than the Cyclone without fur. Cyclone without fur is better than old Rycore with fur. Piano is also lighter and smaller.

I would have liked to hear the test with a fur on the Cyclone, but the weight and the size is a very important point for me. 

Sorry. The rycote cyclone. My bad.

Glen you said in your post about 'it' "Had a chance to check it (the rycote cyclone) " so no need to say 'sorry' to John there.(or was this an 'after' edit?)About the comparing:  "to be carried out by a more impartial tester"True.

But this test is not in favour for the Cyclone,in my opinion...It needs some fur!(and the moves in the video are not 'everyday',but still :sometimes voilent moves  like this are needed) 

Glenn you said in your post about 'it' "Had a chance to check it (the rycote cyclone) " so no need to say 'sorry' to John there.(or was this an 'after' edit?)About the comparing: "to be carried out by a more impartial tester"True.

But this test is not in favour for the Cyclone,in my opinion...It needs some fur!(and the moves in the video are not 'everyday',but still :sometimes voilent moves like this are needed)

He added that later.

And no, the test is not in favour of the Rycote at all, but Rycote advertise the Cyclone as being as good without fur as their modular kit with fur. So in that regard it's a valid test

Quick assemble and disassemble is nice,but we are using these things mainly for windprotection.

it's bizarre yeh?, 

Seems like from the fan test in direct wind it does quite well... but it's almost like theirs a shape on the shell that is causing that "CYCLONE" type sound...  shocked that they would not have done some extensive testing with quick boom swings, especially since it's obviously a direct hit at the cinela line of products (shape)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been talking with Phillipe over at Cinela. 

I tell you one thing, his catalog is amazing, half of which is not represented on their website (which he admitted is a problem, and the site is being worked on and fixed)  they are also making a bunch of videos on their different products.

It's hard for them to show every mount of possibility on their different mounts. But after hearing many of them, i'm a big fan and can't wait to get my rigs.

The weight and acoustic performance + the options and adaptions available to me are worth the price bump over rycote.  I think less tweaking with Cinela,  the Rolls royce, very comfy and reliable.  Maybe Rycote is like a trusty Range Rover,  also reliable, just a little rough around the edges,    like the sound of a whirring cyclone inbuilt into their new 'cyclone' mount when swung fast.