That time Senator Michaels disappeared from the internet

Ze Frias

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the general tone here got a bit friendlier since, and that's not a bad thing.

+3

And quite why he took it upon himself to try to police this forum in some way, nobody knows, it's not his forum?

If he found some questions tedious, it was looking here sometimes with dozens of "contributions" from him (which you could for the most part entirely predict) that was much more tedious.

He may be loaded with knowledge, but getting it out of him requires him being seriously told off after posting dozens of total nonsense, thread bumping, posts. The knowledge he provides is routinely supplied by other more "valued" members.

I like Mike a great deal, have had lunch with him, spoken to his classes, etc., but I am pleased he hasn't posted here in a while. It's really tiresome following a thread, and thinking that new and valuable information has been added to the "unread" posts, only to find it's some completely unhelpful remark from SMM.

I hope it's a combination of his being too busy and showing a bit or improved maturity.

Robert

Sorry I have to disagree - you need to look past some of the senators antics - as he is extreemely knowledgeable and is an asset here.

Being knowledgeable does not give you a right to act like a prat or appoint yourself as a make shift admin.

I remember when I first joined jws you had a pop at him because he questioned your level of professionalism.

Being knowledgeable does not give you a right to act like a prat or appoint yourself as a make shift admin.

I remember when I first joined jws you had a pop at him because he questioned your level of professionalism.

I've had more then one pop with the senator in the past. But the same is true for mostly everyone who has ever posted on this site. But I've actually, beleive it or not, come to enjoy him. I now sit back and enjoy just how irate people get by him. If people didn't get so annoyed I wouldn't find it so comical. Furthermore if people didn't get so annoyed perhaps he would post less wackiness - you are just egging him on.

I look at the senator like that kooky uncle that every family has - and take him with a grain of salt.

It's just a message board people lighten up and don't take home so seriously. If you don't care for his post just block him.

Besides if everyone disliked him so much why would a thread like this even exist? And why would he be quoted in so many other threads?

Judge NotLest Ye Be Judged.....

Those who live in glass houses......

So many of us look ugly in the mirror...

Mike is a guy I know and get. He is a one and only. Always has been. I understand how he rubs many the wrong way and yet has many friends. Is he over active in his posts? Sure. Is he of value? For me, yeah. I have many thoughts and opinions about all the members here, and were I to judge them in the same public manner, well, it could get ugly as well as regretful. I have zero problem having a laugh at each others personalities as long as it comes from a place of common respect. That goes for Mike as well. I hope we see and read a self modulated and thoughtful Mike return to the sight as an active member. I hope we all can at least respect and have fun with one another as we interact here @jwsound.

CrewC

I've had more then one pop with the senator in the past. But the same is true for mostly everyone who has ever posted on this site. But I've actually, beleive it or not, come to enjoy him. I now sit back and enjoy just how irate people get by him. If people didn't get so annoyed I wouldn't find it so comical. 

That's what I think as well. In his wacky way, The Senator is gently reminding people that 1) 90% of these questions are already answered in the manual, 2) if they're not in the manual they're on the net [via Google search], and if not "1" or "2," then contact the manufacturer. If none of the above... then ask questions, but check to see if the question has already been asked here first. I think this is reasonable, but I understand why people take umbrage at not being given the right answer instantly. 

I haunt a few discussion groups on the net, and I sense a growing tendency for me to spout off The Senator's retorts... particularly when it's the right response for somebody too lazy to find the answers themselves. But I also think there are valid questions you can ask around here, particularly when it comes to questions that aren't already in books or manuals, or matters of opinion. And it's amazing how often neophytes want quick and snappy answers to deep, complicated, very involved questions. 

In most cases of <hat> questions, he's completely right.

He often uncovers unprecise wordings in others' posts. Actually nothing wrong with that.

Then, there's the "do your own research, and use your brains" thing. Again, nothing wrong with that.

I can, however, see how someone might find his style a bit unfriendly.

Missing his posts.

He often uncovers unprecise wordings in others' posts. Actually nothing wrong with that.

Then, there's the "do your own research, and use your brains" thing. Again, nothing wrong with that.

Missing his posts.

By comparison the Pro Tools forum is exemplary in managing the very wide range of experience without resorting to highly repetitive, smug condescension.

Think of the time and energy given to scouring this forum for every last opportunity to say the same thing over and over again, what was that about?

It is not his forum and even our generous host asked him to stop, as it had long become a nuisance.

Mike's presence here has made me participate in this site less. I'm well-established enough to know that "I belong", but I can imagine for a younger soundie I would be even more repelled by this and drawn to the various facebook groups. So for those of you who say his behavior is fine and that we should just "thicken our skin", then that's your prerogative, but recognize that you're enabling a bully (even if he is the swell guy in "real life" as you all claim).

E.

i think the senator is an asset, but i can appreciate the arguments that are contrary to positive opinions of him.

but he does get the conversation focused and has a knack for untangling broad, general questions and generates a discussion that gets into details. some people don't like when their question gets torn apart in order to discover 'what i really meant to say was...'

he attacks arguments, not people, unless they haven't done their homework before asking 'which mic' type questions that have been asked and answered many times. that's good.

he can be cagey, cunning, in the 'shrewd' sense of the word, like the time when he unmasked my forum identity in a particular thread where nobody knew who they were talking about in the first place--until it was too late, lol; then he laid back and let the arguments rage on. it was good fun. not a situation i anticipated being in...but hey, the kitchen gets hot on some days...

sometimes, heated discussions provoke the most beneficial information and opinions. that's his specialty and his input generates it.

Take a look at the forum's threads. There are very few threads in which people ask really silly questions that they could have answered themselves or by reading the manual. That is one of the reasons why this forum stands out to me compared to many others. And since Mike is on hiatus I don't see the board being flooded with premature stupid questions either. To me there is no justification in bullying board members and spreading negative energy.

I've been enjoying JWS much more since I blocked Senator at the beginning of the new year. It got to the point  I just couldn't take it anymore. Every time I saw GREEN I started to see RED. Granted some of his posts are helpful but they are few and far between and his constant need to "police" this site is way over the top.  Out of sight...out of mind.   >:D

I consider The Senator a good friend. I have broken bread with him many times, been a guest to several of his sound classes and he has been a guest in my home several times. His internet personality is very different than the man in real life. I understand how his participation on this group offends many here but I consider him a great sound brother and if I needed something he would be one of the first to help me. He does have a good heart and is a good man. He just chooses to have a different personality on line.

Whit

Hey guys, first post. Jonathan Lau from New York.  If you'll excuse me, a proper introduction is in order later. but if I may point out with respect 

Take a look at the forum's threads. There are very few threads in which people ask really silly questions that they could have answered themselves or by reading the manual. That is one of the reasons why this forum stands out to me compared to many others. And since Mike is on hiatus I don't see the board being flooded with premature stupid questions either.

As someone new to this group myself, there hasn't been any reason for me to pose a question that I have not found the answer to somewhere on these forums.  Yet, I would beg to differ that people don't ask questions they couldn't have answered themselves or by reading the manual.  Whether or not Senator is posting, it happens throughout the year irregardless. 

The Senator is gently reminding people 

+1 all Spot on.

I think one of the reasons has to do with a hope to facilitate more meaningful topics of discussion that hadn't been touched before.

The other is that his responses often reveal a lack of discipline that people need to learn. All that Marc said or even just talking to a fellow mixer you know personally, these are essential skills of the craft.  They educate with accredited hard sources.  It builds relationships that you should have and trust.  There is a method to his madness.

But I also think there are valid questions you can ask around here, particularly when it comes to questions that aren't already in books or manuals, or matters of opinion.

And I feel the Senator is more of a devils advocate in those instances.  An important voice that discussions of any merit should have.

but he does get the conversation focused and has a knack for untangling broad, general questions and generates a discussion that gets into details. some people don't like when their question gets torn apart in order to discover 'what i really meant to say was...'

He really tries to focus topics, albeit often bluntly.  But it really is important.  I had a professor whom i greatly respected because she put a huge emphasis on language and intent.  Good communication skills, proper terminology, all of that is necessary when dealing with technical concepts that are often ambiguous and sometimes interchangeable where they shouldn't be.  She would always point out improperly used words and encourage students to both be concise and clear to convey a thought.  Say what you mean, mean what you say.  

It says a lot about who you are and how serious you are about what you do.  It communicates to others a genuine investment in the industry and a respect for the people you're seeking answers from.  This isn't a face to face or a phone call. it's a different medium and form of communication.

Not to mention, mixers in general have enough pressure to be competent and perfect in what we do as the nature of the job requires.  If we don't know how to properly troubleshoot issues, it sends the wrong message. And often than not, that can be depriving yourself of a huge part of the learning process.

Missing his posts.

It's hard enough trying to take what people say as verified facts without having to worry about them also contributing to the misinformation/confusion that is Sound.  Otherwise im just getting more confused or learning something that is misconstrued. That's the biggest caution one has to take away when doing a "google jwsound."  But also why those discussions already happened.

+1 CrewC. Couldn't have put it better myself

Best,
Lau

Anyone with a problem with Senator Mike will most likely have a problem in life... ;D    If you can't see through the posts and let it slide off your back, while taking in a GREAT DEAL of helpful information, you may struggle to do so in everyday life.  Life is filled with situations just like this, just move on and try not to get the panties in a bunch.. I can't understand for the life of me why people are so offended by his posts...  Not wanting to post, or staying away from the site... Really?? Because of his posts...?  Pull your tails out from between your legs and step up to the plate... I promise, he will not come through the computer screen and attack you...  ::)

For me they are predictably funny, and as I said many times very insightful. 

I would suggest to those offended to ignore him if you just can't stand the horror of it all, don't read his posts... just move on, nobody forces you to read them, you do so because you too are interested in what he will say...or you wouldn't look..    Or, change your approach by trying to have some fun with his posts... look at them from a different angle... 

As far as I know, he is NOT belligerent, vulgar, or seriously hostile...  just snarky in a prodding sort of way.. in a way that makes me smile and look forward to reading the post...

I have Always enjoyed his posts... I as of late miss him here....  hope he's back real soon... he is an asset to this site in a big way..

My .02

+1 to  afewmoreyears! I couldn't say it better myself. To all those who have appealed to me in the past to "DO SOMETHING!" about Senator Mike Michaels, I won't be doing anything and you should twice about the request. If I do something about Senator aren't you worried you might be next? I would never want to run JWSOUND that way. For example, it is no secret that  afewmoreyears and I have not always seen eye to eye, and we've gotten into a few confrontational and contentious back and forth over the years, but would I ever consider "doing something" about him? Of course not. Enough said.